21 minutes ago, DimaB77 said:

Well, why not? They eat a lot of things, including unnecessary things.

like i tell a food farm, as for max coal product it needs only specific materials 

not sure if you seen this but anyway this a sage hatch list , there only 5 items what produces max coal, other materials is more like keep them alive items

sagehatch.thumb.png.e488719571ba8cadfa84c00044634979.png

11 minutes ago, DimaB77 said:

Many materials are suitable for feeding Hatch: Sedimentary Rock, Sandstone, Sand, Dirt and some other.

another thing is to you even able feed them with only single convener rail with full coal production, 150 hatch x 140kg is allot

2 hours ago, gabberworld said:

another thing is to you even able feed them with only single convener rail with full coal production, 150 hatch x 140kg is allot

Yes, that's a lot. But a little different: 8 x 140 kg + 150 x 140 kg x 0.2 = 5300 kg/sec.
The metabolism of the ungroomed is -80%.

6 hours ago, MinhPham said:

And it still not enough to power 5 coal generators ... it's ... wow ....

The farm progresses to infinity. You can, as an experiment, see at what number of hatch the computer will start to slow down. I think 500 pcs. medium computer should be able to handle it easily. And this is about 16 generators.

17 minutes ago, DimaB77 said:

The farm progresses to infinity. You can, as an experiment, see at what number of hatch the computer will start to slow down. I think 500 pcs. medium computer should be able to handle it easily. And this is about 16 generators.

yeah, not like really about this,tested and performance drops like hell, does it really try animate all those 500 hatches, no fonder we have performance issues with this game

8 hours ago, DimaB77 said:

For my hatch farm (i only use wild hatch, but i think you can use some mechanic i used), i use dirt/sandstone (because they hide at day and will still have 100% happiness).
image.png.ac40652fb503a5472cd37dee240dd48a.png

For egg dropper, i drop egg on a closed door, and only open at day. (which hatch will stay on ground and doesnt count in room)

3 hours ago, DimaB77 said:

Hatch, imho, it makes no sense to keep them wild. Their point is in the coal, and wild ones have a metabolism of 10%

Actually the baby one have 10% metabolism ... the tame+glum one is 20% and the wild one is 25% ....

13 hours ago, DimaB77 said:

Hatch, imho, it makes no sense to keep them wild. Their point is in the coal, and wild ones have a metabolism of 10%

I rarely need coal, so hatch just a decor + free meat + egg shell for me. Ofcourse vole is better for meat and crab is better for shell, but it wouldnt hurt having more free meat+lime.
I usually run on only few total dupes, so i dont want my dupe to waste too much time on taming them.

Grooming of an advanced pet groomer is enough for 2 cycles.  Animals receiving grooming are 8. One grooming lasts about 15 seconds. Total 60 seconds per cycle.Two more lullabies per cycle. That's about 20 seconds.
That's about 80 seconds per cycle. Which isn't much at all.

You can do the math next: 15 dupes (medium base) x 600 sec = 9000 sec/cycle of total dupes labor. 80 sec / 9000 sec = 0.9% of total dupes time

Once you get the population you want, you can (and should) stop all grooming and lullabies. This is indicated in the article.

On the question of not needing coal, answered in a neighboring thread.

32 minutes ago, DimaB77 said:

It ok, there are pros and con about wild critter and tamed critter, that being:
Wild critter are harder to die and easier to stack than tamed critter, they will lay egg even if overcrowed as long as the room has no eggs.
If one die, only tamed critter are able to get back to their population. Wild critter can die if their temperature are not good.
Tamed critter require constantly feeding resources to keep population.
Tamed critter produce more resources.
If you forgot to feed tamed critter, they die. That happened to me alot when i tried focus on building big stuffs, and forgot all other stuffs in base , which is why i keep all my critter wild. Or when resource running low and you didnt notice (feeding sedementary rock to hatches and feeding polluted dirt to crab)

As i can get wild critter via printer pot, i can overcome "tamed critter produce more resources" by having more wild critter. It will take time, yes, but after a decent day, a wild critter ranch can produce as much as a tamed critter ranch and require no dupe interact, at all, include deliver food, not only groom. Wild gekko still require shearing and meal wood for reproduction, so tameing them is better than wild for this case, other than that, i like my dupe do other job than grooming or deliver food for critters.

Wild farms have their pluses, but I wouldn't go so far as to say so:

30 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

It will take time, yes, but after a decent day, a wild critter ranch can produce as much as a tamed critter ranch

From the printer the animals fall out very rarely, maximum 8 pieces, once in a hundred cycles (and for 1000 cycles you might not get the animal you want at all).

8 wild hatchs produce 140 kg x 8 x 0.1 = 112 kg/cycle, not even close to 2500 (10000) kg/cycle, from a farm with care.

1 hour ago, DimaB77 said:

not even close to 2500 (10000) kg/cycle, from a farm with care.

If you really want 2500 kg of coal per cycles with 150 tamed hatch then yeah, but why would you want those coal? Those mean you are wasting 5000kg of materials per cycle, and, even if you have 1000 tons when you dig the entire map, that pen will only last for 200 days before one type of material run out and you have to switch to other material until you run out of material to switch and all your hatches dies.
Making this farm early will make you constantly needing to dig the entire map even if you dont wanted to just to keep the hatch alive.

But even if tamed critter have that much benefit, i would only use one of my wild hatch to start and keep all other hatch tame incase i run out of material to feed them and they all die to hunger. My newest world in cycle 380 right now and have around 50 wild hatches in my hatch den. Around 20 of them are natural spawned and 30 of them are from printer pod, mostly from pack of 3 eggs. From egg  shell farming perspective, my wild den already 1/3 of your tamed one, and require no material feed at all.

For food, after realized all meat based food give soul food and remove dupe athletic, i have changed to bread only diet.

9 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

but why would you want those coal?

You can choose any farm capacity from 1 kg/cycle to 10000 kg/cycle.
But if you don't need coal at all...
I've been thinking for a long time, and I think I'm ready to offer you the option of a free simple farm:

nothing.png.6bb114a14a5c99775e19757946c1e663.png

1 minute ago, DimaB77 said:

You can choose any farm capacity from 1 kg/cycle to 10000 kg/cycle.
But if you don't need coal at all...
I've been thinking for a long time, and I think I'm ready to offer you the option of a free simple farm:

nothing.png.6bb114a14a5c99775e19757946c1e663.png

You forgot to put in one dirt block in it. Hatch will be confined if the room has no natural spawn block. You are also need one sweeper to move egg out of room  to make sure they are reproducing, because having egg in the room will stop them from reproduce.
Wild ranching are not as simple as you think.

Archived