Webber rework idea compendium

I have been watching the speculation of webbers rework fairly closely and i wanted to make a list of ideas that i noticed were either: brought up repeatedly, very well recieved, or particularly clever. This will be in no particular order and I intend to include ideas that i consider ill-advised but were popular in the thread they were mentioned in case i am a minority.

the main purpose of this thread is to showcase interesting suggestions in the hopes that Klei takes notice or are inspired by either an idea or a portion of an idea. Some of these ideas ARE in fact mine, but will be labeled as such so that my ideas may be taken with a grain of salt. 

The suggestions will be listed on their own lines with variations included below with a -, and explaination will also be included signalled by *

the original post is being made on a phone so expect some formatting issues

Suggestions:

miscellaneous silk based crafts

spiders near webber/spiders from dens placed by webber are nonhostile towards other players

Webber gaining a jumping attack similar to a warrior spider

Adding an item to command followers

*would be useful for every character so i dont want it to be webber specific

Spiders ignore walls *mine*

-Spiders can instead climb or jump over walls

Webber being able to “mutate” warrior spiders into the variations

*this could prevent too many strong spider types from harrassing non-webber players

Webber being able to create the various spider dens

Webber is able to put hats and head armor on spiders and vatiants

*some believe this will be a part of the update for sure but its worth mentioning that until it is confirmed it is just an idea

Webber is able to craft his own cheap but low protection helmet made of silk, intended to be put on followers

-could extend loyalty timers *mine*

*while technically a varient on the helmet and silk concepts i think its clever enough to warrant its own spot, as it allows webber to have armored minions while also being true to webbers *swarm* playstyle

Webber can saddle and ride spider queens

*i really dislike this one but it was very popular in the topic it was mentioned in

webbers spiders are able to collect twigs and grass for the player

*it doesnt make much sense but it does fill a niche left by wilbur

The ability to “pause” spider dens to prevent further growth/spider queens

*its useful when preparing for bee queen, or preventing your base from having spider queens from swarming it when you have a few dens in or near your base

make spider silk and glands passively generated by spider dens, collectable by webber, as a more lore friendly alternative to spider wars

-More artificial looking spider dens called spider coops that gather small animals that step on the webbing and turn them into said items

Webber no longer auto-attacks spiders, and instead auto-attacks the now bunnymen and pigmen.

*a quality of life change that needs to be extended to wurt and wortox as well (obviously excluding the spider part)

webber is able to downgrade spider dens and relocate tier one spider dens

Webber can craft a webbed turf that slows down enemies that pass over it.

Adding the shamlet mask to webber 

*please don’t

These are just the ones I remember, there were many other suggestions, some good, some great, some not so much. I am thoroughly excited for webbers rework and i hope you are too. I feel like you could pick 5 of the perks listed here and make a fairly interesting and in-depth character, but obviously not all of them go together. I just wanted to show as many as possible in one place.

I do not believe that all of these suggestions should be included, this is merely meant to serve as a list, its interesting to come up with combinations. Like mutating spiders and freezing spider den progression would allow you to have a normal spider den that is filled with a bunch of different spider types. I think two or three of the major changes would be plenty. I just wanted to showcase the different ideas and options available.

ok thing that i have to add here is well originaly i came up whit the idea of webber bein able to get poison attacks i mean he is part spider and alll spiders have some sort of poison on them some are stronger some are weaker but because webber is like that he has stronger poison that actualy can matter that sould alsol work on bosse to actualy have an good use but then that new animation happend and i now think he gets some sort of omigami crafting

29 minutes ago, VouMorrer said:

in my non-webber-main opinion, what webber needs most is a way to create spider dens that dont attack other survivors, i feel sad every time i see webbers doing bases far from us becouse of spider dens

I fully intended to include this, it just slipped my mind, thank you!

1 hour ago, Dr.Medic said:

ok thing that i have to add here is well originaly i came up whit the idea of webber bein able to get poison attacks i mean he is part spider and alll spiders have some sort of poison on them some are stronger some are weaker but because webber is like that he has stronger poison that actualy can matter that sould alsol work on bosse to actualy have an good use but then that new animation happend and i now think he gets some sort of omigami crafting

I really like the idea of webber being venomous and getting a non typical damage boost, however webber has good stats and isn’t really a combat character, i dont think he needs something that boosts his damage like that

i also have seen a silk crafting tab mentioned once but no solid ideas on what it might entail, so i left it out

That is a nice gather up of the ideas people had so far. Thank you for this post, nice to see my own idea made it there as well.

First time seeing webbed floor idea and honestly, this is something I could get behind. No other character has a way of making slowing traps, only Walter can slow down enemies by attacking them- webbed turf for Webber gives so much possibilities, both in PVP and in other gamestyles. It could honestly be a gamechanger- slowing down difficult to kite bosses, obv excluding flying ones, easier hunting koalephants, fightzones for hound attacks... Would make it hyper annoying to bring a Beefalo to base, non Webber would be really slow without any speed item (silk boots for walking on the turf?) and can be used as decoration effectively. I really like this. 

Good post, helps to oversee general ideas the public has.

1 hour ago, Copyafriend said:

Webber gaining a jumping attack similar to a warrior spider

this would probably only be useful if it temporarily stunned enemies. otherwise i see this going very bad

based on trends from previous reworks, he'll likely get a new crafting tab but i think we all hope that he'll get more then just a new tab

2 hours ago, Copyafriend said:

webbers spiders are able to collect twigs and grass for the player

*it doesnt make much sense but it does fill a niche left by wilbur

I wouldn't want that kind of thing (because I think spiders are more like fighter, not collector and I believe this collecting thing should be Maxwell's point.) BUT I think this thing you are saying really make sense. Since DST became focus game, we get DS/SW/HAM characters' powers with reworks.

1 hour ago, Slagger said:

(because I think spiders are more like fighter, not collector and I believe this collecting thing should be Maxwell's point.)

i get spiders are supposed to be combat based but the thing is they just really suck being stunlocked having low amounts of health and dps i want more to them and gathering perks don't have to be character specific just like wurt and webber co-exist even though i think wurt fills the archetype of faction character more i just need more used why i should use spiders for anything at all other than just farms

17 minutes ago, Dextops said:

i get spiders are supposed to be combat based but the thing is they just really suck being stunlocked having low amounts of health and dps i want more to them and gathering perks don't have to be character specific just like wurt and webber co-exist even though i think wurt fills the archetype of faction character more i just need more used why i should use spiders for anything at all other than just farms

I wrote a Webber update idea like one years ago and just like I said in there, I think spiders should be personalized like how it works on beefalos. I think Webber-Spiders relationship should not to be a cannibalist-slavery system like how is it now or warrior-leader relationship like Wurt's. They should act like how you act to them and be more like "Friend" instead of "Workers". Maybe they could give you small gifts like how it works on Hamlet but sending your army to make things is more like Maxwell and his puppets thing. And ofcourse all of these are my opinions, sometimes Klei make me swallow what did I said because they make great updates (RWYS) and sometimes they just don't (Woodie rework).

I don't know how to quote from other posts, so here the topic, I'm talking about "SPİDER FRIENDSHIP" chapter.

Also* don't mind health stats. I just looked at it and they look a little low.

26 minutes ago, Slagger said:

I wrote a Webber update idea like one years ago and just like I said in there, I think spiders should be personalized like how it works on beefalos. I think Webber-Spiders relationship should not to be a cannibalist-slavery system like how is it now or warrior-leader relationship like Wurt's. They should act like how you act to them and be more like "Friend" instead of "Workers". Maybe they could give you small gifts like how it works on Hamlet but sending your army to make things is more like Maxwell and his puppets thing. And ofcourse all of these are my opinions, sometimes Klei make me swallow what did I said because they make great updates (RWYS) and sometimes they just don't (Woodie rework).

I don't know how to quote from other posts, so here the topic, I'm talking about "SPİDER FRIENDSHIP" chapter.

the  thought of silk based crafts does sound cool and same goes with a progression system but i still feel like the spiders shouldn't be really combat centered and need more to them and mass leveling up would seem really hard since spiders are all about "monke together strong"

1 hour ago, Slagger said:

55 minutes ago, Dextops said:

the  thought of silk based crafts does sound cool and same goes with a progression system but i still feel like the spiders shouldn't be really combat centered and need more to them and mass leveling up would seem really hard since spiders are all about "monke together strong"

It sounds like you really thought hard about your concept, it sounds interesting on paper, i just feel like you havent really thought about the implications.

the webbed meat for instance, it would extend the lifespan of meat, thats great and fun, but a drying rack gives better stats for even a small morsel, while boosting sanity instead of cutting into it, and costing nothing but time once set up.

as for the progression system its very involved, but for little reward. I have to keep multiple spiders up for several days at a time constantly fighting and babysitting them if i want a fighter spider, but they wouldn’t survive it. Spiders are one of the weakest members of the constant, and dare i say the absolute weakest regular threat. 4 or 5 of these warrior spiders wouldn’t survive one of the later hound waves, id have to rely on my spider dens and at that point why even bother with the upkeep of 4 spiders when they cant protect me from a normal threat. Anything these slightly stat changed spiders could handle could be handled by a few more regular spiders. 

i am not trying to be rude, i love that you put so much thought into this idea, but stat changes for his minions, are not going to cut it. Besides i would like his core concept to stay the same: swarm the enemy. Minions have never worked against 90% of bosses that you deal with on a regular basis, so i cant rely on any minions i have getting out alive. If you think they would fare well, then get a bunch of pigmen with helmets and try to fight deerclops. If you’re wondering they get one or two hits in, itd be nice to have stronger spiders while fighting bee queen but it takes two dozen nests either way, at best it would speed the fight up, but it would take three days to train new warrior spiders, to replace the lost ones. 

i did however add silk based crafts as a general concept to the list of repeated concepts

49 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

i am not trying to be rude

Nope dude, you just pointed perfect problems about my ideas. Like you said they are sound nice on paper but have to be balanced/changed a lot of which even I recognized I gave really low stats after few months. BUT even after all changes and fixes of my ideas, Webber could be not that "nice" to play. I always share my ideas for giving inspiration to devs (which I believe they read lol), they are really experienced persons which probably make pick best things to make the best.

If you ever read my post on this thread or old ones, you can notice I'm really picky about storyline and character powers. I love roleplaying with survivor. Mostly I don't care about their stats most of all. Woodie is perfect with his arts, forms, songs and agility but I think the powers of him, don't fit the Woodie that we know. He supposed to be cursed and curse had to be annoying to players but new curse is just supercool. I feel like a superhero while playing with him and with all idols devs turned him into ben 10 lol.

I really don't want to get Webber that way. Webber is a cute kid, he is cute in trailers. He supposed to have big symbiotic relationship with spiders but spiders are not able to fight, work, help or do anything really usefull which only make them "free meat" source. That's not the thing I was excepting when I play with Webber. I want to say "MORE FRIENDS" when I see bunch of dents, not "FREE MEAT". I wan't to hang with them and trust them.

Im thinking of one of these things on Webber tool tab as my prediction of the tools he is gonna have in the future and some ideas of mine :)...

Web Umbrella with 100% resistance of rain but low endurance...

Web armor: make your enemies slow when they make melee damage...

Web trap: Make the enemies slow and stuned for a moment by covered with spider Web...

Special spider glance : recieve a good amount of hp with low cost of web and spider glance...

And of course upgrade your spider nest tab: to appear only spider warriors, ice spiders, fire spiders, or even a spider queen for help

Just my future prediction and ideas ;)

images - 2021-05-16T162229.140.jpeg

14 hours ago, Owlrus said:

I hope he'll be able to make a silk rope bridge of some sorts. Unpopular opinion but I'm fine with it making him another swap character considering how many other characters are still used as such.

Its a fun idea, but a bridge building would be fundamentally gamechanging to the point where one character shouldn’t have that power, and if a character was going to have it, id rather it be the builder: winona

Archived