With the current state of having 6 buildings in total for managing rocket cargo that all need to be joined together and glued to the launch platform, optimal use of space requires us to chain rocket platforms next to one another, leaving no space to build ladders.

There are two possible ways we can deal with that at the moment:

1. Chain ladder - platform - docking stations - platform - ladder. Only works for the first two platforms though.

2. Don't build ladders and rely on jet packs. This is my current preferred solution, but there are some drawbacks. Pathing issues for instance, forcing us to build a wall all the way up to the top of the map, plus the jet packs themselves degrade performance and fill the rocket cabin with thick clouds of CO2.

---

In light of that, I propose a building whose purpose is to connect platforms to docking stations, while acting as a ladder segment. This will allow duplicants to reach the rocket modules without disconnecting the platform on the other side from the docking stations.

Alternatively, a lift would also be nice, but that's just my pipe dream. :p

1 hour ago, pether said:

Since entering the rocket is a basic feature of one, I'd suggest to allow all pilots to enter the rocket using the platform. It could have some kind of a lift.

I like the lift idea. :beguiled:

I plan to change some asteroids to hostile worlds ( its sometimes easier than to keep them habitable ), so it would be great if the dupes can exit the rocket in "Apollo style" with a lift...Then they shall walk in to a lead suit station to enter lava heaven. Perhaps this rocket platform lift can be built by players, that would be nice.

image.png.9e8015b7231b867a50554f60db4f5fc2.pngimage.thumb.png.4fe1d850662c60c328102546a130da6d.pngimage.png.29a30271f446c040962dcfab9f5ae5e9.pngimage.thumb.png.51c49f69685fc587f76d13ceff93d8f9.png

Lift instead of ladders, exit/entry in Apollo style

image.thumb.png.c3eac714407aa6617f77bc353b668c38.pngimage.thumb.png.7995aea3f5ddd6da355e6a0ddea8544f.png

2 hours ago, pether said:

Since entering the rocket is a basic feature of one, I'd suggest to allow all pilots to enter the rocket using the platform. It could have some kind of a lift.

Yes, but there are other things that require ladders, like building parts, connecting pipes to the fuel tanks, putting in oxidiser, laying a cable to the battery module, inserting tin cans, etc. We need a way to get in range of things without disconnecting the docking stations.

2 hours ago, MiniDeathStar said:

Yes, but there are other things that require ladders, like building parts, connecting pipes to the fuel tanks, putting in oxidiser, laying a cable to the battery module, inserting tin cans, etc. We need a way to get in range of things without disconnecting the docking stations.

The lift could have a bunch of extending platforms that connects to each of the segments of the rocket. Reusing some of the assets from the gantry

On 4/19/2021 at 7:00 PM, MiniDeathStar said:

Yes, but there are other things that require ladders, like building parts, connecting pipes to the fuel tanks, putting in oxidiser, laying a cable to the battery module, inserting tin cans, etc.

Now that we got separate loading an unloading ports and port settings maybe we could get a loading port setting for fuel and oxydizer so we can load those via the add-ons as well. That would remove a lot of problematic piping but add even more things to the platform (maybe they could be connected vertically as well?).

On 4/22/2021 at 4:08 AM, crbd115 said:

they added back in the gantry in yesterdays update but idk it doesn't really seem worth using to me as is

Which is a shame :confusion: I used to love the gantry, it made space launches and landings feel so real. I hope Klei invests time in making home-base/asteroid rocket handling as believable as it was in the base game.

Rockets and cargo handling needs to make fun fun fun, I hope they spend time focus on it. This includes being able to launch rockets through platforms - If Klei wants to have it visually realistic, then at least give us the checkbox per platform "Collision off". But it was possible in the base game and possible until very recently in the dlc, so hopefully they will make it soon possible again and just switch launching-rockets-through-platforms back on again.

I`m not sure what the current games situation is with rocket cargo loading/unloading and what the exact problems are ? I`m busy for the next 1000 cycles in the classic map building basic infrastructure stuff here on Terra.

Wishing everybody a nice weekend - Dr. Jones is calling, need to go. He is always asking for more Uranium.

Dr. babba

Gravitas Statistics & Hallucinations Manager, Isotopes Facility 139

rainbow.gifimage.thumb.png.1f5cdb19f808ec44cfa5a41a1677e992.png

Archived