Speedrunning the New Boss Would Take 8 Hours?

While I was theorycrafting about how one would speedrun the Lunar Champion, I seem to have hit a snag. Unlike the Shadow Pieces (and by extension the Fuelweaver) that can be fought every new moon, there are parts to summoning Celestial Champion that require you to wait at least until at least day 56, which is almost eight hours of real time.

In particular, it is required that you reach Summer (Day 56 on default settings) to obtain Cactus Flowers for Pearl's third house upgrade. You also must have obtained the Celestial Orb, which spawns via meteor on Day 60 if it hasn't spawned already. I'm not entirely sure on the chances of it spawning before then, although it's not as if you don't have other things to do while you wait.

I'm not a speedrunner, and not every boss needs to be speedrun friendly, but it will be an interesting challenge to have this new boss on the floor as quickly as possible.

I did a bit of speedrunning myself, I don't really wanna touch crab king but I was able to get 2 of the three on day 24, But it's not easy, I abused walls for the starcaller's staff, and you have to get a good seed for it to even be possible to get around to the ruins, and then back up for the star callers staff. Maxwell seems like the only decent choice for this, as his duelists help a ton in every section, as well as workers making the walls easier. 

Crab king is his own battle, and personally it seems terrible to to even try. Not only do you have to find Pearl,  the sheer amount of things you have to do to even get the pearl is Ludacris, and that's not even mentioning the fight itself, which IMO is the worst in the game.

image.png

you can get the pearl before summer. you could technically finish enough tasks to get the pearl in the first autumn, but would be very challenging. but yeah it would be nice if some tasks were less time consuming, and if the orb weren't so rng.

3 hours ago, Bird Up said:

you can get the pearl before summer. you could technically finish enough tasks to get the pearl in the first autumn, but would be very challenging. but yeah it would be nice if some tasks were less time consuming, and if the orb weren't so rng.

No you cant, you need her house to be fully fixed/upgraded before getting the pearl and that requires cactus flowers.

You don't need to "speed-run" end-game content. Is end-game for a reason. If all Moonstorm and Celestial Champion could be done 1st Autumn-Winter, more-so using glitches as a lot do, how could one call it "end-game content"?! Enough both AG and AFw can be glitched to kingdom come for "ez pz" defeat (bugs/glitches that should be addressed by KLei at some point), game doesn't need balancing around "speed runners" and their shenanigans. As Survival-Sandbox goes, a lot of people wish it to be as long as possible, content-wise. Balancing for "speed runners comfortable play times" shouldn't even be an option on the table.

What you said:

8 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Balancing for "speed runners comfortable play times" shouldn't even be an option on the table.

What OP actually said:

22 hours ago, SirToastyToes said:

I'm not a speedrunner, and not every boss needs to be speedrun friendly, but it will be an interesting challenge to have this new boss on the floor as quickly as possible.

1 minute ago, lakhnish said:

"...but it will be an interesting challenge to have this new boss on the floor as quickly as possible"

And how will that "have this new boss on the floor as quickly as possible" be possible?

"Speedrunning the New Boss Would Take 8 Hours?"

By "balancing for speed runners". Aka KLei doing some re-balance for OP's proposal be a possibility "if one chooses to".

1 minute ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

"...but it will be an interesting challenge to have this new boss on the floor as quickly as possible"

And how will that "have this new boss on the floor as quickly as possible" be possible?

"Speedrunning the New Boss Would Take 8 Hours?"

By "balancing for speed runners". Aka KLei doing some re-balance for OP's proposal be a possibility "if one chooses to".

Here's the thing. OP said they were theorycrafting. How would one kill this boss as possible? They asked the question of 8 hours cause yeah, it's gonna take that long cause of yhe Hermit Crab quest (and the Celestial Orb RNG, which I personally had forgotten about).

Op wasn't saying, "omg, this boss takes too long to get to, please change Klei" like you did in your comment above about cheesing bosses. Instead, they said what I quoted they said: "an interesting challenge".

And it is an interesting challenge. In fact, I too was considering how would one kill this boss as quickly as possible (presumably under vanilla settings).

I don't speedrun the game because I can't sit for that long.  But what I do like to do is boss run sessions, where I just try to kill as many of the bosses as fast as possible in multiple sessions. It's my preferred way of starting worlds nowadays too. And guess what, I don't cheese the bosses in the run either cause that's my choice. If Klei wants to patch it, they can if they want to. But having options is nice for different styles of playing the game, which is something I've learnt over time. 

I'm definitely gonna add to this boss to the list once beta goes live and everything is stable.

But taking a step back to @SirToastyToes post, if the spoilage time of the Charged Moonglass isn't changed from 90 seconds, and this is a vanilla run, you're probably going to have to add BQ to the list just so you can actually start the fight. Unless you do some telelocqting shenanigans to tp yourself onto the island in a timepy manner.

Archived