Moo Moonlet should spawn with Liquid Chlorine Geyser

A (hopefully) simple suggestion. As far as I know, Chlorine is only renewable through the Chlorine vent, which isn't guaranteed to spawn. Having some liquid chlorine geysers spawn at the Moo Moonlet's core would give every world at least one renewable source of chlorine, and I think it would fit since gas grass takes liquid chlorine irrigation to grow. It would make ranching Gassy Moos easiest in their home planet, which would make sense.

Generally, gas grass also needs a rebalance too. It currently needs space light, which you can't get deep in an asteroid, or underneath abysallite. Perhaps the light requirement is replaced with a rad requirement? Like it requires a small amount of radiation with its chlorine to get going?

59 minutes ago, Xenologist said:

Generally, gas grass also needs a rebalance too. It currently needs space light, which you can't get deep in an asteroid, or underneath abysallite. Perhaps the light requirement is replaced with a rad requirement? Like it requires a small amount of radiation with its chlorine to get going?

I think it's a bit strange how while the Moo Moonlet is supposed to be the Gassy Moo's natural home, but the conditions don't seem livable for them. Gas Grass requires sunlight to grow yet there's no way grass so deep into the planetoid can get any.

I'm not really sure I can discuss how balanced it is, just yet, since I haven't gotten a chance to properly ranch them. With the addition of Gassy Mooteors, though, I'm going to give it a shot on my newest world.

Totally agree! It is super strange that gas grass canot thrive in its natural environment due to lack of light.

My idea: Give this moonlet an atmosphere (background with landscape that replaces usual space void and doesnt leak gases) and allow grass and moos to live on the planet's surface, so there would be light touching the plants. This would require changes in light that is currently being blocked by gases...

But I like the radiation idea :) moos could fart radioactive gases so both need each other to thrive

Just now, sakura_sk said:

Radioactive contaminants in natural gass maybe?

Maybe they would constantly inject the natural gas around them with contaminants up to a level, to upkeep the radiation levels to an acceptable level for the grass since the contaminants dissipate.

I like the idea of giving gas grass an alternate way to grow. I don't personally mind the grass requiring sunlight to grow (seems like an alternate form of power production to allocate solar panel space for) but I quite like this idea too.

6 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

...or sun lamps. You can still produce "sunlight" with sun lamps but the only "natural" way would be sunlight

Are sunlamps valid option if we want to gather energy? Isn't power consumption of a lamp too much to offset the natural gas gain? When I played with moos lamps were not yet present in the game, so I have no idea...

13 hours ago, Electroely said:

I think it's a bit strange how while the Moo Moonlet is supposed to be the Gassy Moo's natural home, but the conditions don't seem livable for them. Gas Grass requires sunlight to grow yet there's no way grass so deep into the planetoid can get any.

I have felt this way about a lot of the recent critters/biome designs. I think part of it is just that the content is just being pushed out right now to get it working and there will be fixes later but at the same time they left dreckos in the rust biome in vanilla...
I personally feel like all the critters and plants should form an ecosystem with their environment.  Our interaction either speeds up this cycle or changes it allowing for evolution into different critter morphs.
If they decide to keep the moo-teors then I don't think its possible to have them on the surface. Otherwise I think one of two options work: 
Having the planet have an atmosphere and moving the gassy moos and grass to the surface like pether has mentioned. OR
Remove the atmosphere requirement from gas grass and have them on the surface.
The underside of the asteroid would then be a renewable source of chorine preferably. Maybe a few pools of chlorine directly below the surface as if the grass roots were pulling from that. A Chlorine geyser would be nice or two. If they made rust renewable through replacing the drecko in the rust biome with a rusty drecko that would allow another form of renewable chlorine. Albeit probably a small source. I wish there was a machine or process that produced chlorine as a byproduct.

How do you guys feel about the moo planetoid just being open to space and continously losing gas that the moos create? It would create a fragile system where too much gas prevents the grass from growing by bloking light but too little doesn`t allow it to grow either. Gas wouldn`t ever fully vanish as new moos spawning would create new gas.

On 4/16/2021 at 1:45 PM, pether said:

Are sunlamps valid option if we want to gather energy? Isn't power consumption of a lamp too much to offset the natural gas gain? When I played with moos lamps were not yet present in the game, so I have no idea...

you're right.  the only way i could get an indoor gas grass grow op that was power positive was with ceiling lights.  the chlorine in the hydroponic farm tiles don't need to be kept liquid too so just loop it back to a reservoir to keep it chilled.  this setup was the utmost best i could design and produced about 110kj a cycle (264w for light and 30kg natural gas = 266.7kj or 444.4w)

i tested how many gas grass to gassy moos and it's 1:1 when grown under artificial light

1139441527_gassymoobuild.thumb.PNG.f7ae5cdf2675c96cf2da9f9e03a1f641.PNG

now the bonus is that you could use the bottom tier planter box for growing gas grass in sunlight which doesn't stop light.  then you'll be limited by how much gas filters light.  o2 isn't bad but natural gas will filter a lot of the light, gas density/pressure matters here too

Archived