While I do enjoy the new stuff being added, and the developers are doing a good job at addressing things as they add them and stuff breaks, I wouldn't mind a few development update cycles dedicated to game performance.

As anyone who has a base over a few hundred cycles old know game speed goes down the tubes fast.

Spaced Out has only made that worse. Even opening the research screen lags so bad I worried the game was going to crash after the last few updates.

I had a look at my computer performance monitor during my last few times playing and my cpu only looked to have one core doing anything, I was only using half my ram and the drivers were doing nothing.

So the game speed wasn't being limited by my setup, but the game itself not programmed to take advantage of available resources.

I would love to hear people thoughts on playing without anything new for a few weeks once they get the current set of bugs fixed, and instead just do performance focused updates?

Opening research screen does lagg a lot, but I don't think it is related to game performance. AFAIR, when EA was released, KLEI warned people that this will now work slowly due to some data gathering or sth. I wouldn't worry about it now and I believe this will be addressed before DLC official release.

I think Klei has some performance analysis tools activated since recently or something is different in the game code or my save has exceeded a critical ONI capability. I started playing again on my cycle 1321 save ( small dlc maps ), which has 1 mega-base, 1 small-base and another 1 small-base. The fps has halfed for me in this recent preview update and scrolling has changed from smooth to stuttering, opening the research screen is delayed by 1-3 seconds.

image.thumb.png.5befaf8dd21bb9e56b15e32b81544de8.png Cycle 1321, small dlc maps. Mega-base in 1st spawn map ( cold Swamp ).

image.png.b0f82551ff83289a9d7695878c38042d.png ~2 weeks ago I had 60 fps with the same save file on the preview branch

Starting the save directly allocates 7.7gb ram ( system has 32gb ). 10 minutes later its now 8gb ram. Game is utilizing the cpu as before, 2 cpu cores to the max. gpu load is the same as before, ~15% of nv gtx 1060 gpu, using nearly no gpu vram.

image.png.aa95b01ba4fbeaf4b60d68c5dbbb9798.png 3 colonies in total

image.thumb.png.5d6796e4305fa9c663e116f1cd183de6.png 2nd spawn map, currently an accident hazard zone, due to holes in a wall :whistle:

image.thumb.png.8ae24975d3f569636fc96e4e09ca21d6.png 3rd colony, "Uranium".

No water geyser, would welcome an world generation option "Min 1 water spawn per asteroid", for builders like me. No need for thirst stress, I find this handicap silly. Due to limited water supplies I regularly execute dupes.

Game at 8.3gb ram allocation now as I`m writing this :roll:

I am on board with the Performance Issues. (I stream next to playing the game could have an impact)

My Setup
Geforce 1080Ti (I know Graphics aren't important)
Intel 4960X 6x 3.6Ghz ~ 4Ghz
32GB of Ram Corsair LPX DDR 3 at 1866Mhz

2 hours ago, Sergadra said:

I am on board with the Performance Issues....
4960X 6x 3.6Ghz ~ 4Ghz

The following only considers the hardware aspect and is intended to help you, if you are willing to upgrade to a new system.

Kind regards, babba :p

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

High single threading cpu performers and big modern fat cpu caches bring the most FPS speed with ONI.

Intel Core i7-4960X @ 3.60GHz # 2073 Score

vs

Intel Core i5-11600K @ 3.90GHz # 3391 Score ( example low budget $$$ cpu )

3391/2073 = 1.63

Will yield around ~63% ONI FPS increase.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:15 AM, babba said:

The following only considers the hardware aspect and is intended to help you, if you are willing to upgrade to a new system.

Kind regards, babba :p

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

High single threading cpu performers and big modern fat cpu caches bring the most FPS speed with ONI.

Intel Core i7-4960X @ 3.60GHz # 2073 Score

vs

Intel Core i5-11600K @ 3.90GHz # 3391 Score ( example low budget $$$ cpu )

3391/2073 = 1.63

Will yield around ~63% ONI FPS increase.

You are not seriouse right? Eh... right now the prices are bad also the sockets would not fit anymore. Honestly right now it is not the time for upgrades.

I mean damn... you hear here and there that microchips are not able to be delivered anymore and that even car manufractures are shutting down production.

Thanks Crypto Currency damn Energy hungry f...ers (Talking about diffrent crypto not people.)

I still belive that considered that my hardware is a little older it should normaly keep up. I mean yes oni is math intensive. 4960X was the Extreme CPU at it's time... But i know the time will soon come i would even go as far to not consider Intel anymore and switch to AMD it's way more promissing right now...

10 hours ago, Sergadra said:

You are not seriouse right? Eh... right now the prices are bad also the sockets would not fit anymore. Honestly right now it is not the time for upgrades.

I mean damn... you hear here and there that microchips are not able to be delivered anymore and that even car manufractures are shutting down production.

Thanks Crypto Currency damn Energy hungry f...ers (Talking about diffrent crypto not people.)

I still belive that considered that my hardware is a little older it should normaly keep up. I mean yes oni is math intensive. 4960X was the Extreme CPU at it's time... But i know the time will soon come i would even go as far to not consider Intel anymore and switch to AMD it's way more promissing right now...

IMHO it could take 3-6 years for hardware "to be great value again", whatever that means to each person.

There is many things going on which raise hardware prices, that Nvidia was able to recall all 2000 series cards from all big gpu merchants in the world to create artificial card shortage, at the launch of the 3000 series, is just one of many things going on.

Its the same with cars, I used to have a nice 7 series from BMW.  Leasing luxury cars are often called back by the car manufacturers in volume of hundred thousands of vehicles after ~3 years and then destroyed, to create artificial market shortage...In order to sell the latest version.

Cycle 1000ish,   3 planets, 17dupes

Ryzen 3700x/5700xt  16gb 3666ram,  SSD

28 - 36 FPS.....

Turning off planet to planet transfer thru the warpers gets me, 5 fps

Deleting all the Storing Bins got me, 5 Fps

When I hit 40 fps it feels like I'm playing the game again.

I really love spaced out, I really love this game, but at 25 fps nonstop, Its getting harder to have fun

2021.05.23-14.47.png

4 colonies, 16 gb RAM.

Game runs reasonably fast except for critter AI cycles that makes slicksters start to even starve when submerged in dense CO2.

But the RAM usage climbs continuously until the game crashes from lack of RAM. Goes down only when I exit and restart the game, which I need to do every ~10 cycles to avoid the crash.

Archived