i was lookin into the wiki for removed things

The holding and ground sprites look off, but I'm sure with some tweaks it would have been a good addition. There's a lot of unimplemented stuff that would have been cool in game. Dunno why they removed it, but someone could probably mod it in.

The only real thing I can think of that it'd be good for is just snagging kelp, assuming it doesn't auto-snag fish. Probably wasn't added because it's good only for that single thing and would be incredibly lopsided value for Wurt especially. She really desperately wants an item to avoid having to row with boats.

18 minutes ago, SirToastyToes said:

If I had to guess, a fishing net would trivialize the Sea Fishing Rod and its associated mechanics. Maybe if it didn't catch fish but that doesn't feel intuitive in my opinion.

The net and rod don't have anything in common. 

3 minutes ago, Does said:

The only real thing I can think of that it'd be good for is just snagging kelp, assuming it doesn't auto-snag fish. Probably wasn't added because it's good only for that single thing and would be incredibly lopsided value for Wurt especially. She really desperately wants an item to avoid having to row with boats.

Salt crystals, Malbatross drops, drops of anything you kill away from the boat, anything that spawns in the ocean as you're sailing (bottles, etc). Have you even sailed?

I suggest keep looking- this nets just one thing.. but if you do enough hard digging- you can find the Molebats already in this unimplemented wiki before they were ever released in Forgotten Knowledges Lunar Grotto.

I suspect that Klei’s unimplemented items eventually end up in their games in one way or another- either through DLC (such as Hamlet, Shipwrecked) Events (Year of, Gorge, Forge) Sequels (DS/DST) or even other Klei Franchises (Oxygen Not Included, Hot Lava, Invisible Inc)

Too many “unimplemented” items have later been implemented in some capacity for me to NOT eye this page like a Hawk.

Im just waiting for those giant rats and mutated rats from the games original and darker looking art designs.

1 minute ago, SirToastyToes said:

As it stands, they don't. But with a name like "fishingnet" one could assume its full implementation would catch fish, which would make the rod less useful.

And football helmets are used for the football minigame, right?

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

The net and rod don't have anything in common. 

Salt crystals, Malbatross drops, drops of anything you kill away from the boat, anything that spawns in the ocean as you're sailing (bottles, etc). Have you even sailed?

Oh don't get me wrong it's great for convenience, totally didn't give it credit for that, but from a "what could possibly make this item not be added" perspective all I could think of was balancing before you can really even sail.

37 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

And football helmets are used for the football minigame, right?

An item that is used in the ocean that is called a fishing net is a different situation. Tools in Don't Starve generally follow what you'd expect them to do, so I would expect a fishing net to catch fish,

An item that is used in the ocean that is called a fishing net is a different situation.

There's an item called the fishing rod that can't fish.

Tools in Don't Starve generally follow what you'd expect them to do, so I would expect a fishing net to catch fish,

You expect a pitchfork to be used to redecorate? A bell to to cause animals to eternally follow you and despawn? A razor to be unable to shave facial hair? Honey to heal you? A shank of ham to be used as a weapon? Bees to be used as a mine? Clothing to restore sanity? A feather hat to cause more birds to spawn? A coconut with a shark fin on it to make you move faster? Mushrooms worn on your head to make you starve slower? 

1 minute ago, Cheggf said:

You expect a pitchfork to be used to redecorate? A bell to to cause animals to eternally follow you and despawn? A razor to be unable to shave facial hair? Honey to heal you? A shank of ham to be used as a weapon? Bees to be used as a mine? Clothing to restore sanity? A feather hat to cause more birds to spawn? A coconut with a shark fin on it to make you move faster? Mushrooms worn on your head to make you starve slower? 

The pitchfork is an anomaly, sure, but I'm talking about tools, not clothes or other game logic. The axes chops. The pickaxe mines. The shovel digs. The hammer smashes, etc. The bell is magic according to examination quotes, and other than Wilson or Webber the other characters with facial hair don't seem interested in shaving.

In the end we're talking about an unimplemented feature in a video game, so nothing we say for or against this means anything in the grand scheme of things.

The pitchfork is an anomaly, sure, but I'm talking about tools, not clothes or other game logic. The axes chops. The pickaxe mines. The shovel digs. The hammer smashes, etc. The bell is magic according to examination quotes, and other than Wilson or Webber the other characters with facial hair don't seem interested in shaving.

In the end we're talking about an unimplemented feature in a video game, so nothing we say for or against this means anything in the grand scheme of things.

A fishing net being able to catch items from the sea but not fish makes as much sense as a shovel being able to dig graves but not create holes anywhere you want. You just really don't want to admit you didn't read the wiki's description and left your comment based solely on the name of the item.

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

A fishing net being able to catch items from the sea but not fish makes as much sense as a shovel being able to dig graves but not create holes anywhere you want. You just really don't want to admit you didn't read the wiki's description and left your comment based solely on the name of the item.

There's nothing to admit. It's a thread speculating about why an unimplemented feature is unimplemented, and I posited that a net for fishing wouldn't work well with the Sea Fishing Rod even if it doesn't catch fish in its current iteration. I read the description before my first comment, trust me.

Archived