Don’t Starve Together: Bestiary

Quick Thing, Please Read. 

Spoiler

Hi, I would like to state the reason I’m doing this is not as much as to give information, but to create a funny little bestiary in which both me and the community itself would be able to add to it and contribute, it is often the case with guides and threads like this that people will say “All of this can be found in the Wiki” and while true, that diminishes pretty much any reason to create guides and threads of relating subjects, in most cases, players just want to input more information and opinions they have in certain aspects in the game as well as to give something back to this amazing community we are a part of. I would love feedback and critics as I have never made a bestiary before. Thank you for understanding, Lemoncello. 

Ratings/Points Explanation: 

Spoiler
  • Danger Points: 0-10
  • Damage Ratings:

None: 0

Light: 15-25

Medium: 25-50

Heavy: 50-100

Supreme: 100+

• Health Ratings:

Smallish: 10-200

Low: 200-400

Medium: 400-750

High: 750-1000+

Giant: All Giants/Bosses (Too diverse to create different ratings)

SPIDERS:

image.png.c2cd9b820a17c13de760b0cb64d63cbd.png

Description: Spiders are a 6-legged insect, with sharp razor teeth and two giant eyes, their color pattern is black with little stripes of gray.

Behavior: Aggressive/Territorial

Health: Low.    Attack Force: Light.    Attack Type: Swarm.

6 Forms: Normal, Warrior, Spitter, Cave, Dangling Depth and at last, Shattered.

Danger Points: 4

Location: Spiders are bonded to their dens, which can be scattered across the whole Constant, they are most commonly found in forests and sometimes either on rocky lands or in the savanna. While being mainly found in dens, spiders are also capable of being birthed by Spider Queens, a greater and more powerful version of spiders.

Background: Spiders are all around the Constant, giving us the survivors in it a sense of danger right from the first moment we are thrown into this notorious purgatory. They are easily killed with the right weapons, but the main danger they propose is the pheromones released during attacking and/or killing one, if close enough to the den or to other spiders, all spiders in the area will immediately lock down into attack mode and go to fight whoever was the one that attacked one of their kin, this can cause quite a problem as they can easily outnumbered any opponent and sometimes even the mighty giants!!

Loot: Spiders can be killed for a variety of resources, such as silk, glands and monster meat. Silk can be used to create many things such as top hats, tents, bug nets, bird traps and many other crafts. Glands are mainly used in recipes for healing salves which are great for cuts and wounds, —Note: Wendy has an interesting fascination with these glands, using them and a ghostly component to create potions that can better help heal her dead sister, Abigail. More research needed to figure out her knowledge in ectoherbology  At last we have monster meat, it is inedible and has a foul smell, if eaten raw or cooked symptoms such as: Sickness, dizziness and hallucinations might appear, however, using it in a crock pot will reduce all of its effects and it will become a pleasant dish, just be careful not to overuse it or the effects will become much stronger.

Strategy: Spiders can often become the death of many survivors, they are strong in masses and will most often always be walking in groups, the best way to deal with them is to wait for daytime, when all spiders are inside their dens, and bait 1-3 of them out of their homes to have a more controlled crowd to deal with, still act with caution as if not far enough the pheromones might reach the den, and all spiders inside will attack you. Also, Abigail seems prone to kill small hordes of animals, I once saw her kill numerous spiders without getting hit once!! It is quite interesting how strong she is...

WARRIOR SPIDERS:

image.png.2a1aa22909efa28ef1576c510e73b016.png

Description: Warrior Spiders have the same physical appearance as normal spiders, with the only difference being their strength and color patterns, Warrior Spiders have a greenish-yellow body with black stripes.

Health: Low.     Attack Force: Light.  Attack Type: Swarm/Ranged

Danger Points: 4.15

Location: Warriors Spiders can only be found in two specific situations, either being hitting a spider den, or the pheromones of a spider being close enough for the den to detect it.

Background: Spider Warriors are less common than normal spiders, serving a singular function, to protect the den and spider from outside threats, they will only ever attack if either the pheromones given by other spiders reach the den or if the den itself is attacked. They have an ability exclusive to them, and that is diving the attack, if the prey they are going after is far from reach, they will attempt to dive at it reaching great distances. These spiders can be scary to those who did not come prepared to fight them, due to this, approach and act around dens with maximum caution!!

Loot: Warrior Spiders have the same loot as normal spiders, them being: Glands, Silk and Monster Meat. If interested in its uses look at the loot section in the SPIDERS bestiary.

Strategy: Warrior Spiders can be quite tricky to deal with, dodging and attacking is even more difficult as they can jump to your face, giving you a jump-scare —Note: Puns might come in useful to approach new survivors with information— The best way to deal with them is to take all the hits and focus on dealing more blows, or dodging their attacks the moment they are preparing to come with a bite. A quick and easy way to deal with them is by the use of traps, plants some in the ground and making the spiders follow you until under one will render them incapable of attacking you, and you can collect your bounty. 

SHATTERED SPIDERS:

image.png.4e6217e0058aa9333fe2917216d8ad9d.png

Description: Shattered Spiders are a scary bug, with blackish eyes, a rocky body and sharp legs, they also seem to have purplish crystals growing on them, I’m tempted into trying to break one of them to study their effects and attributes. —Note: It did not go well, who knew they hate when others touch their crystals…. I hope Wickerbottom has any knowledge with cuts and wounds—

Health: Low.    Attack Force: Light. Attack Type: Swarm/Ranged

Danger Points: 4.25

Location: Shattered Spiders can only be found in Shattered-Spider Dens, which are located in a far land from the constant, Lunar Island. This is an island filled with wonders and dangers, housing quite few peculiar creatures, Shattered Spiders being one of them.

Background: The moon is a source of enlightenment, its powers are corruptive for those who stay long enough for its effects. Because of it, normal spiders are believed to have become corrupted after living long enough into the Lunar Island, with it, they gained a new ability, Shatter, they can create Purpleish Shards into the floor beneath their prey, slashing and piercing it. These creatures can be quite difficult to dodge with limited space, in addition to taking their time with prey and following them for a long time. Be careful with them, and if in trouble, using bait traps can easily make them less of a threat!!

Loot: Similar to all other spiders, Shattered Spiders can be broken down to one out of three things: Glands, Silk, or Monster Meat. To see their uses, look at the SPIDERS bestiary.

Strategy: These spiders can be dealt with the same way as warriors, either by dodging and attacking. In most cases, it is advised to use traps as their attacks can be quite hard to evade. Be carefull not to attack them near their dens or else you will have a large problem.

BEES:

image.png.0b254f6d54c2ef676007b7449937522a.png

Description: Appearing as a yellow & black striped fuzz ball, bees are a small insect, having two wings, a stinger and four limbs. 

Behavior: Neutral/Territorial

Health: Smallish.    Attack Force: Light.    Attack Type: Swarm.

Danger Points: 3.25

2 Forms: Normal, Killer.

Location: Bees are always around their nests, going around flowers and picking up their pollen to produce honey for their hive. Bees can be found scattered around the Constant, mainly found in forests and grasslands.

Background: Bee are always around their nests, collecting pollen and making honey. They are a great insect to have on your side as making bee houses gives the owner a passive way to collect honey and with it, an essential and viable source of food. Bess are influenced by season becoming inactive in winter, preferring to stay inside their hives and in spring, all bees become aggressive, attacking anything that is around them. Hitting a bee will immediately release pheromones causing killer bees to leave the hives to attempt to save the bee, it is also possible for other bees to pick up the pheromones and attempt to kill the threat.

Loot: Bees can only be scavenged for two resources, honey and stingers. The stinger can be used for booster shots, boat patches, lures and many other things, and the honey could be used for dishes, giving it a more sweet flavor and in creating honey poultice which contains restorative properties.

Strategies: Bees could easily pack up a punch if not dealt with properly, the best way to quickly kill a swarm of bees is tempt them into attacking, and after dodging, quickly kill one, repeat the process until all of the bees are killed, or until you are satisfied.

KILLER BEES:

image.png.216c8cf3e62e1df5cc0e25444cec0761.png

Description: Similar to bees, killer bees have the same body physique as other bees, with the only difference being their color pattern, instead of yellow their body is mainly red.

Health: Smallish.    Attack Force: Light.     Attack Type: Swarm.

Danger Points: 3.30

Location: Killer bees can only be found in two places, nests and killer bee nests. In nests, killer bees will only be seen if a bee from that nest has been attacked, in which case pheromones will spread all around the area, informing the killer bees one of theirs is in danger. However, with killer bee nests, the bees become much more territorial, approaching the nest will immediately send all killer bees into attack mode.

Background:    Killer bees seem to be the guardians of their fellow bees and nests, protecting them from outside threats and intruders, in most cases, they will stay inside their hives until a threat is seen, they can be great for distractions as they will attack anything that can become a problem once outside their hives, this can be helpful if dealing with a hound attack or other beasts.

Loot: Similar to bees, killer bees can be scavenged for either a stinger —Note: Wendy also seems to use this for her ghostly potions, in this case, to make her ghost hit things as strong as she is at night, once asking Abigail about how she know so much about ghosts and ghostly potions, she said she attempted to contact her sister outside the Constant, in which caused her to have to learn a lot about ghosts— or honey, if interested in their uses, look at the BEES bestiary.

Strategy: Killer bees can easily be dealt with by using the same strategy as normal bees, tempt them into attacking then dodge, hitting not all but a single bee until all are dealt with, however bee careful with dealing with bees because if there too many you might not be able to dodge and in result will also leave the battle filled with stings.

BUTTERFLIES:

image.png.8651f0fdd0f3e3346ff82789df706aa1.png

Description: A reddish and yellow two winged insect, butterflies are all around the constant, they are a beautiful insect and one of the only ones that will never cause you problems.

Behavior: Passive/Skittish

Health: Smallish.    Attack ForceNone.    Attack Type: None.

Danger Points: 0

Location: Butterflies can be found flying all around the Constant, mostly staying near flowers of which they seem to come from, they only are seen during the day, and once the sun starts to settle down they hide in the flowers they came from. Butterflies stay dormant during winter and will not be found around the harsh cold.

Background: Butterflies have a passive/skittish nature, flying around and doing nothing but being passive, in most cases, if approaching a butterfly they will fly away from the person in hopes of not causing any problems, they can be catched using a bug net and can be fed ___? to stay alive. If burying a butterfly, a flower will be born, this can be great to transfer flowers near your beehives to faster generate that sweet and delicious honey….. How I love honey...

Loot: If killed, a butterfly can be ripped off its wings providing a little snack with a bit of calories, there is also the chance that the butterfly will instead morph into butter, this event seems to be one of the many puns the Constant likes to throw at us… This is incredibly rare, however, getting a butter is always a joy as Warly always loves to make us fruit crepes with it. —Note: I’ve been tempted to tell Warly that the crepes could also use bananas in them, he always likes to make them with dragon fruits and berries which are not my favorite choice, however I’m scared if in doing so I lose my crepe privileges— Another dish made from butterflies are butter muffins, these can be made by anyone using vegetables and butterfly wings, these muffins are delicious and can provide lots of calories, as well as give your stomach a happy smile. —Note: Wx-78 seems to love these muffins, upon asking why, he bluntly responded that the innocence of the dish makes it taste better… I’m quite scared of Wx-78 after this conversation.—

Strategy: Butterflies can be quite tricky to kill as while flying away from it’s threat they will maneuver around to make it harder to hit them, the best way to kill them is to run in front of them and hit them once they come into range, their little brains can’t detect that we have passed them, causing them to continue to walk forward.

Just now, DrMcGillacactus said:

I really like this concept for a bestiary! 

I will certainly join in, in the future...

Thanks!! I’ll definitely enjoy working with other in this as well as use the help, English is not my main language and due to it some of my wording often become weird.

I would recommend if you are going to start this beastiary, it would be best too give many lore theories while state what is known for now or just breifly cover it.

I think you can also talk about potential loot it drops and breifly talk about its use like it drops fine and soft silk that can be used as crafting material, monster meat, a common byproduct from corpses of most of the aggressive mobs that when utilised well can cook some of the most delectable meals. 

Alignment, Alignment is mostly split into evil, neutral and good but I don't it is suitable for a beastiary. Instead I think behaviour would be better to describe like calm, territorial, peaceful, aggressive, maybe something like mostly aggressive and territorial for spiders. 

I hope my opinion helps you

1 minute ago, Articestone said:

I would recommend if you are going to start this beastiary, it would be best too give many lore theories while state what is known for now or just breifly cover it.

I think you can also talk about potential loot it drops and breifly talk about its use like it drops fine and soft silk that can be used as crafting material, monster meat, a common byproduct from corpses of most of the aggressive mobs that when utilised well can cook some of the most delectable meals. 

Alignment, Alignment is mostly split into evil, neutral and good but I don't it is suitable for a beastiary. Instead I think behaviour would be better to describe like calm, territorial, peaceful, aggressive, maybe something like mostly aggressive and territorial for spiders. 

I hope my opinion helps you

I love your feedback!! I also believed alignment was kinda of misplaced, behavior sounds much better so once I update it, that will be changed. I’m certainly going to more lore theories since I think it would make the bestiary more closer to the community. The loot drops would also provide to be useful. Your opinions really helps me out, as I’ve been greatly looking for new things/sections to add to the mobs. Thank you very much! (I hope I don’t look too weird by using exclamation points....)

I wanted to say that you should use lore but try not to go too in detail in to the lore for it is  and try not to touch the lore theories, may breifly cover it, like there are rumours, Legends and myths that.... For it is unconfirm yet it will probably take a few years for the theories to be proven or disprove. 

The exclamation marks is fine it is just ur style of writing. 

2 minutes ago, Articestone said:

I wanted to say that you should use lore but try not to go too in detail in to the lore for it is  and try not to touch the lore theories, may breifly cover it, like there are rumours, Legends and myths that.... For it is unconfirm yet it will probably take a few years for the theories to be proven or disprove. 

I get what you’re saying, and I was going to try to go in that direction, like, “There are rumors that...” “It is believed if...” “Legends say...” I would try to implement it into the background. Thanks again. Prob going to spend more time on this bestiary then my essays soooo, I have lots of time........ 

23 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Maybe a "counters" field could be added.
Although for most spiders its the same: "AOE", "spreading them", "facing them 1on 1"
"Can be stunlocked?  very briefly-medium-permanently". Etc.

I like the idea, and I will see if I can implement it in the bestiary, I’m still trying to organize it but the counter idea sounds interesting, thanks!

Do you think that it should need a description for its apperance or a photo is just fine?

Take note that You probably have to change location into a better word for some mobs appear under certain condition like treeguards, hunts, werepigs. Can't think of a proper word now. 

24 minutes ago, Articestone said:

Do you think that it should need a description for its apperance or a photo is just fine?

Take note that You probably have to change location into a better word for some mobs appear under certain condition like treeguards, hunts, werepigs. Can't think of a proper word now. 

I do think descriptions could be inserted, probably during the introduction in the background paragraph, or a separate one such as Description. I think the word is either conditions or environmental conditions, circumstances.

Would this look good? Description: Appearing as a yellow & black striped fuzz ball, bees are a small insect having two wings, stinger and four limbs. ?

1 hour ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

This would easily be my favorite addition to DST if they added it.

You see this is what I also really want!! I hope in doing this bestiary, it will help ease the feeling of it not existing.

1 hour ago, RoughCactus69 said:

Danger points.

DANGER POINTS.

I love it.

Sincerely,

Cactus

Thanks Cactus!!

Archived