From the bottom of my heart.. Seriously THANK YOU Klei

The new update has made some pretty substantial changes to this game for console players, this entire post may not mean much to PC Players because most of it will be discussing how I’m flipping out about features you already had- or could add via Mods.

With that Said lets dive straight into it.

HERE is my first fully customized world I’ve played around with these settings a lot more then this since the video included: But here’s my first March QoL choices-

But later I went back and discovered I can customize those worlds even MORE: Such as No Butterflies at all, and yet MORE Flowers that are supposed to spawn them.

EC92ECFC-0EF8-45F7-9C17-B7D5E5475EEC.thumb.png.2607219fd45d596fdf7c11722008aba5.png52F97609-B14C-4D2B-B01D-3DEC5ABD4DEE.thumb.png.381c11781178e2827829b8594299d117.png

These changes are HUGE for a console player, Because Wendy and Wortox can easily survive off Butterflies all day long, but how will they survive when they DONT Spawn at all? These are questions that Prior to this QoL: Could only be answered with some nifty PC Mods.

Now let me just state that I have no hard feelings for PC.. and in fact most the cool people I’ve come to enjoy chatting with are on PC however, mods should NEVER be the only answer when as this beautiful list of things we can toggle more/less/none of shows, there are ways Klei can provide us with further enjoyment of our game without needing mods.

There was recently a (now locked) thread about someone asking if DSTs popularity should get bigger because the bigger the community, the more toxic and BAD Ideas they bring- and that simply isn’t even True.

YES you can now completely toggle OFF Shadow Creatures, but at the same exact time you can also toggle them to happen MORE.

These are massive sweeping changes we simply wouldn’t have had without a fanbase of players of vastly different playstyles and preferences all voicing their opinions on what they would like to see in the game-

The TL:DR: It Got Easier AND Harder Simultaneously at the same exact time depending on this lovely menu full of things you can toggle more/little/none for.

And NOW that you can exit the game and change some settings on the fly... I’ve tested A lot of different things-

Such as: Waiting till Night 11 and then exiting the game and setting it so there’s no Day or Dusk to see if Klei Easter Egg Snuck in that permanent full moon I been wanting.

(Spoiler: Dont try it, it didn’t work..) BUT!! My entire point here is that we CAN do those things now- I CAN exit the game on full moon night and toggle off Day & Dawn to see if it remains locked on full moons like that old glitch for DS Single Player.

Those of you playing on PC may not be fully aware of just how limited Console Edition has been: it’s been getting better over the years but, prior to someone bringing it up a few years back- Our Spider Den nests did NOT upgrade to Tier 4 (Spider Queens)

NOW it seems I have them everywhere I go when I don’t keep the spider nests under control.. And it truly is Awesome!

This community may grow, but so is the accessibility of the game: And that can only be nothing but a good thing.

Let me enjoy my “More” Wildfires, while players who don’t like the mechanic can play with “None”

I wanted this post to be long, constructive & hopefully show how DST is changing for the Better, And I hope this QoL ends up being so well received that Klei will focus on expanding and improving upon this Menu with each future QoL update.

This March update has only Wet my Appetite for MORE: For example in my attempt at trying to see if they snuck in a permanent full moon Easter egg- I noticed that I still had Sanity Monsters set to MORE.

And If Klei gives us even MORE control over how our worlds behave (such as how much health players start with, or how much faster I can make Sanity/Hunger drain for that world) the crazier gameplay options we can have.

In the above example: Full Moon, More Sanity Monsters, Faster Sanity Drain- I can host a world where I’m at constant threat of never ending sanity drain where I need to avoid letting my Sanity spawn too many threats for me to handle.

Dude I can now set passive food sources to a lot less or even None and make all other food sources hostile things I need to kill: The game FINALLY lives up to its namesake of “Don’t Starve”

And I love it, Thank you so much for this Klei!!! You have no idea how absolutely happy this March QoL has made me, and I can only hope there’s more where this came from! :wilson_love::wickerbottomthanks:

I 100% agree. When I saw that i could crank up settings, I got so happy. I appreciate Klei and everything they do for the community. 

IMO they are better than 99% of other game companies. I have been unable to play Minecraft because of an account issue on their end. This has been an issue for over a year, yet they still havent fixed it for me, and the many other players having the same issue. Yet, when you guys release content, bug updates are released day after day. It's incredible!

Thank you guys so much.

Sincerely,

Cactus

It's so cool that console players finally get at least SOME of the customization that PC players have been taking for granted all this time.  Personally, I _love_ messing with world settings, it's one of the most interesting ways to impact your game experience I think.  You can make things harder, easier, or a mix of both at the same time!  If there's a particular feature you just never liked but you're okay with the rest of the game: bye-bye that feature! 

It's kinda too bad that even at top settings things STILL only spawn in their own biomes, as that way you can't get a mess of helpful _and_ hostile stuff on the screen at one time, like this:

wigfridmore02.thumb.png.3ada05ced962776cd84cbd93b0463819.png

...but even so, you can still get some constant danger from the new settings even in DST.  For example, turning up lightning...

dstheavyrain.thumb.png.792595e198cf0b7358b5828efb7cea58.png

...might not be the world's best idea, as ALL THE BURNABLES IN THE WORLD were already starting to self-destruct around me on Day One of _autumn_.  XD

(Seriously, console players didn't even HAVE spider queens at first?  That's nuts!  I had no idea.)

...Notorious

20 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

It's so cool that console players finally get at least SOME of the customization that PC players have been taking for granted all this time.  Personally, I _love_ messing with world settings, it's one of the most interesting ways to impact your game experience I think.  You can make things harder, easier, or a mix of both at the same time!  If there's a particular feature you just never liked but you're okay with the rest of the game: bye-bye that feature! 

It's kinda too bad that even at top settings things STILL only spawn in their own biomes, as that way you can't get a mess of helpful _and_ hostile stuff on the screen at one time, like this:

wigfridmore02.thumb.png.3ada05ced962776cd84cbd93b0463819.png

...but even so, you can still get some constant danger from the new settings even in DST.  For example, turning up lightning...

dstheavyrain.thumb.png.792595e198cf0b7358b5828efb7cea58.png

...might not be the world's best idea, as ALL THE BURNABLES IN THE WORLD were already starting to self-destruct around me on Day One of _autumn_.  XD

(Seriously, console players didn't even HAVE spider queens at first?  That's nuts!  I had no idea.)

...Notorious

Setting things to more actually does kinda do like in your pictures, I mean no where near to that extent but you can now find the Clockwork creatures everywhere now, forests, swamps, ah-ha I love it.. they used to commonly spawn near marble/rug set pieces but Not anymore these dudes be chilling out in my forests and stuff :lol:

Also I think Spider Queens were still in the game, they just had a different method of spawning- like they may have spawned in like clockwork rooks or something, but they most certainly did not spawn from every unattended spider nests that you let grow. things have changed now & they totally do- and they’re everywhere, they even spawn down in caves where as they hadn’t been doing that prior to the patch, you guys can go check the console patch notes to find it there somewhere (if your really bored & want to go do that) 

And Yes I totally agree a TRULY Randomly generated world would be EPIC the only things that CANT be randomly generated should be ocean content- it would look silly to run into a clockwork bishop out in the ocean somewhere well.. unless.. Klei added Ocean variants and added code to the game that when your randomly generated mob is generated over ocean tiles- It spawns in as their ocean variants.

The product description for this game reads as “Explore randomly generated worlds full of hostile things that hate you and want you to die” 

but for so long now... It’s NOT been randomly generated, i mean it is.. but to a limited degree, Throughout 2021-2022 I would love to see actual randomly generated worlds, creatures, items etc spawning outside of their dedicated biomes in sort of a “Pure Chaos” world Gen.

We can set the starting resources near florid to “highly random” why can’t the rest of the game be this way?? Maybe I want find my Beefalo herd strolling through a swamp instead of in their known biomes.

Well, I can attest that the clockworks at least do show up EVERY FREAKING PLACE--and I (of course) have screenshots to prove it! (I'll show them later, after someone else has had a chance to reply to the "Screenshot Showcase" thread.) In this particular world it's kinda hard to tell where a "proper biome" is and isn't, however, since the biomes themselves are all wonky and piecemeal...and _I_ didn't do that!  I think worldgen sensed that I wanted even more chaos.  XD

(also I have so.  many.  FROGS! Turning _them_ up to "tons" is no joke.)

Beefalo in the swamp...I get the feeling you'd get a lot of horns and fur tufts lying around, since they don't do well with tentacles, and merms kinda fight everything.  (No/little meat, 'cos swamps usually also have spiders and spiders eat any meat they see.)  Or...lotsa tentacle spikes lying around, since when you mess with ONE beefalo, you mess with ALL of 'em! 

Ocean variants of clockworks of course already exist in Shipwrecked:

tobattle.png.59bc383bd0d7d99ed3132b478ac8f9c1.png

...so I'm imagining that if we had such a thing in DST, it might be similar?  Or not, I have no idea.  For example, in DST they just made it so hounds can swim rather than making seperate shark-hound thingies, for when they attack you on a boat.

I had no idea that spider queens didn't spawn in caves!...I just assumed that of course they did, since everything ELSE in the caves is super creepy and deadly.  Huh!  I was today years old when I learned this.

...Notorious

I agree with you.

World customization (specially seasonal items) are great for new players. They can change things and make game more like their style. This is exactly the game difficulty option that we was looking for which I think it's great!

BUT they should add a filter to the server browsing menu for filtering world with changed settings. Unlike mods, worlds with customization don't have any icon on it (world with mods have wrench icon). I think it would be nice for vanilla players bc it's annoying to check server world generation options everytime (which sometimes I can't).

Weeelll...I get where you're coming from, but also, there's the question of:  How changed is TOO changed? Everybody has their own preferences. Some really do want it straight up vanilla, no ice no chaser, but others might be more okay with different _specific_ changes over others, depending on what they are.

(long-winded explanation time!)

Spoiler

Someone who is okay with a world merely being larger or smaller than usual might not be okay with, say, having MacTusk camps everywhere, and if it's only one icon to say when _any_ changes have been made to the worldgen at all, many players might skip over servers that they actually would've been fine with.

It's the same problem as with mods, really--all that symbol says is that mods _exist_ on the server.  It doesn't say how many.  It doesn't say what kinds.  It could be several but they're all just aesthetic, or one but it makes everything gamebreakingly easy.  Modded characters? Okay, are we talking like, characters from other parts of the DS franchise represented as accurately as possible to maintain their original game balance, or Immortal One-Punch Man?  Modded game mechanics?  Do you mean stuff like trees can grow bigger, or that all bosses only have one hit point now?

Mods can also make a game HARDER, and most people don't think of _that_.  Thirst, Hard Mode, Wounds, Feast or Famine, Food Allergies, Uncompromising Mode and Actual Season Randomizer come to mind. So some who skip over modded worlds because they think that automatically means anime furry character baby-mode, might be skipping a _challenge_ they'd enjoy.

What this all comes down to is that the current identification/filter system isn't sophisticated enough (but correcting that would be WAY the freak too complicated, so at the moment it's a problem without a solution), and just having that little wrench there cuts off SOOOOOO many of your potential players because all they know is that at least A mod exists on your server, and their brains immediately jump to anime character baby mode.  And they filter out ALL servers that have that little wrench on 'em.  No matter what the mods actually are. It could be something completely ungameplay-changing, such as "Pigs can now come in different shades of brown" but...

Having a symbol to say whether a world's settings were changed at all, would add ANOTHER layer that would cause a lot of perfectly good servers to get auto-ignored.  Does it mean they upped the berry bushes and rabbits everywhere, or does it mean they made it never be daylight and winter is super long?  And how do you categorise one that has done BOTH?  (like me, just recently.  Why? Because I could.  Not the winter thing specifically--I mean I upped the amount of both safe AND dangerous things at the same time, by the same amount.)

Basically what I'm saying here is that if this also happened, NObody would EVER visit (for example) my servers unless I personally invited them, explaining and apologising all the way, ("It's okay!  It's not super-easy!  I swear!  It's still balanced!") and while I do USUALLY play alone, I'd like to have the _ability_ to play DST actually T, once in a while. : P
('cos even if I turned off all my mods to get that dreaded little wrench to go away, a symbol for world modification would STILL get me ignored, since I ain't goin' nowhere without at least my random seasons.)

And I'm not the only one who would be in that boat, be it normal-boat shaped or a cookie boat.

Edit:  Of course, there are some actual mods I'm not willing to turn off permanently, so even if the worldgen-change icon NEVER existed, I'm still getting ignored anyway because of that wrench.  : P  I don't care.  It's worth it to have truly random seasons and cherry petals blowing through my camp.

TL;DR:  It's an interesting idea but until somehow both that (and the notification for when a server has mods enabled) can be made more informative and specific, it'll still have problems.

...Notorious

Archived