Hacking a Volcano

17 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Dachshund.thumb.gif.0161d6f3d515937be01f32cb452dd4d5.gif

Done!

I did not understand much in your scheme (translation difficulties), so I assembled mine.

Questions to you first:
According to biopon's description, your circuit consumes 12000kg/cycle. Where do you get so much of it?
Magma flow rate is 700 g/sec, while a volcano gives 1200 g/sec on average. Why such savings?

As a result, you put a lot of effort (and materials) into designing the perfect heat exchanger.

I went a little different way. I am not striving to achieve the perfect heat transfer. At the expense of more magma flow, the temperature of Igneous Rock at the outlet of the heat exchanger is higher than in your case. Which makes it possible to power more turbines. There are very few piles of Igneous Rock under the turbines, there could be four times as many turbines.

Your opinion...

The circuit of the conveyors is extremely simple:

Dachshund.thumb.jpg.4eb715e01ec9cb8948698d0e3c8dc86f.jpg

The automation is even simpler than in my 1st version.

8 hours ago, DimaB77 said:

your circuit consumes 12000kg/cycle. Where do you get so much of it?

In the base game you can get an enormous quantity of regolith from meteors. A 96 tile span captured 56000kg in one cycle.
image.thumb.png.e20a794ac305b73d36dcc4baae2bd529.png

A normal map is 2.5 times this size. You can also use mafic rock.

700 g/sec, while a volcano gives 1200 g/sec on average. Why such savings?

I calculate that my boiler uses about 51g/s of magma.

As I explained, it is because I am preheating the regolith to 1408~1409C for free. Regolith turns to magma at 1412.35C, so I only add ~4C extra from the magma. As I said, this is about 125 times more efficient than mixing it.

Your opinion...
Dachshund.thumb.jpg.4eb715e01ec9cb8948698d0e3c8dc86f.jpg

First - if it does what you want then there is no problem.

My design is too efficient to let me use all the of magma from a regular volcano. Maybe you want to use as much magma as you can, so your version will process the magma quicker. (But it will not process the regolith as quickly, probably.)

If you want to improve the efficiency easily:

1. Use obsidian instead of doors
    1. Obsidian has less conductivity (2), so it slows down the left-right heat transfer.
      1. Obisidan (2) is the same as igneous rock (2) and more than regolith (1), so the debris transfer is already maxed at obsidian.
    2. Try it without any gaps. In my experience, no gaps is best for this design.
  2. Use bridges going up and down. Liquid/gas/electric/automation. Igneous rock/steel (high SHC).
    1. Bridges accelerate up-down heat transfer.
    2. DqvnKOGPHy.thumb.gif.6c368c9117787255195def6650c684e0.gif
    3. You can also add conveyer bridges.
  3. You can change the boiler to look something like this. It will transfer heat faster by not piling up.
    1. image.thumb.png.c20c697b817939320ad0d07b8e6cd4ea.png
    2. (control it with a temperature check so it doesn't freeze)

34 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Use bridges going up and down. Liquid/gas/electric/automation. Igneous rock/steel (high SHC). Bridges accelerate up-down heat transfer.

:-o Wow, I'm shocked. That's a huge exploit. Thanks for the tip.

36 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

As I explained, it is because I am preheating the regolith to 1408~1409C for free.

Can you tell me how? I can't figure it out.

I don't think "free" applies in this case. Oh, come on.
I finished the circuit for the 12 turbines. That's the maximum one aquatuner can cool (on supercoolant).
If anyone needs even more power, a second floor of turbines can be copied.
I also put together a heat exchanger based on your circuit, and it performs better in constant mode. And in intermittent, as in this circuit, for some reason it doesn't.

Dachshund2.thumb.jpg.68ed87d91f0644d9b38dea9b7412d9f3.jpg

The scheme turned out so simple, that I'm afraid the developers will turn something down...

On 3/9/2021 at 8:56 AM, nakomaru said:

I calculate that my boiler uses about 51g/s of magma.

As I explained, it is because I am preheating the regolith to 1408~1409C for free. Regolith turns to magma at 1412.35C, so I only add ~4C extra from the magma.

Fun Fact: debris (and buildings I think) melts at exactly it's nominal melting temperature, not +3C like solid tiles. And the resulting liquid has the same temperature (there's no 1.5C rebound like with most phase changes).

You're probably using less magma than you think (~17g/s), but that's basically a rounding error at this point.

3 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Fun Fact: debris (and buildings I think) melts at exactly it's nominal melting temperature, not +3C like solid tiles. And the resulting liquid has the same temperature (there's no 1.5C rebound like with most phase changes).

You're probably using less magma than you think (~17g/s), but that's basically a rounding error at this point.

That's awesome, I didn't know about that case. In practice, I think I'm over shooting it little, so maybe somewhere around 20-40g/s is the reality.

12 hours ago, DimaB77 said:

The scheme turned out so simple, that I'm afraid the developers will turn something down

We've known about these issue for much more than a year.  They have had ample opportunity to break this, but have not. That doesn't mean they won't make changes, but for now I'm guessing this is not something they plan to fix.  

4 hours ago, mathmanican said:

For example, to find a mechanical pipe filter that requires zero energy, try

If the mechanical filter as an example of free, it also has a significant disadvantage: if the outgoing pipe after the filter is clogged, all the filtered gas goes into the first pipe.

And that's how I do the search. It works horribly here.

2 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

There were some threads a while back where @mathmanican and I (but mostly him) played with using it to generate heat:

Thanks for the interesting links.

You are cruel to me! It takes me a few days to translate, then as long to understand :)

Archived