What is the mechanic "World Moisture"?

The wiki page for the telelocator staff states "Each use will increase world's moisture, that when high enough can start Rain."

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Telelocator_Staff

I cant find any info on the wiki on 'world moisture'. Is the wiki just saying that it has a chance to cause rain, and is world moisture not a thing at all?
Or is world moisture really a thing, that when it reaches a point, rain will begin?
I was wondering if  there are any ways to force rain to begin to get struck by lighting as WX-78 when playing solo. Of course the telelocator staff hits you with lightning, and moslings can get you hit, but is this a potential way?

Also, as for overcharge, the wiki states "System Overload lasts for roughly 1 
Day but can be stacked from multiple strikes to last indefinitely."
So if i get struck 72 times by moslings during spring, will my overcharge last all the way into the next spring?(a year in DS is 72 days long).

1. Yes, it is a hidden mechanic. There’s “moisturefloor” and “moistureceil” (short for ceiling) which determines when rain stops or starts, respectively. The telestaff increases the moisture value by 500 each use.

2. Overcharge stacks will get less and less time added to the total, the more overcharged you are.

The first few lightning strikes to charge you will give you what you’d expect: a minute for each hit, but the next strikes will gradually become less effective.

(Thanks @Crestwave for the info on the first one)

19 minutes ago, Baguettes said:

1. Yes, it is a hidden mechanic. There’s “moisturefloor” and “moistureceil” (short for ceiling) which determines when rain stops or starts, respectively. The telestaff increases the moisture value by 500 each use.

2. Overcharge stacks will get less and less time added to the total, the more overcharged you are.

The first few lightning strikes to charge you will give you what you’d expect: a minute for each hit, but the next strikes will gradually become less effective.

wait, is there anything to decrease the value???

47 minutes ago, Baguettes said:

Wow this is useful info! Thanks, point 2 isnt mentioned on the wiki...How do you find things like this?

35 minutes ago, dankweeddave said:

Wow this is useful info! Thanks, point 2 isnt mentioned on the wiki...How do you find things like this?

The game is just a bunch of plain lua files, anybody who knows how to read it can take a peek inside.

3 hours ago, gaymime said:

wait, is there anything to decrease the value???

Summer.  : P

(no seriously though that's the only thing I could think of--changing seasons to summer.  But that's not based off of anything really...just the fact that DST summers are more like Arizona than Florida.  Aka, little to no humidity.  Which is what the phrase "world moisture" makes me think of.)

...Notorious

Archived