Beefalo Rule right now please don't change that

I say this as someone who had already grown pretty familiar with the previous taming system, I really really enjoy the act of taming beefalo much more now with the addition of the beefalo bell and the added actions that the player can do while riding a beefalo.

I worry deeply that specifically the Beefalo Bell will be removed when we come out of YOTB. This would be catastrophic, as the beefalo bell is the item that allows someone like me to tame beefalo in a server that I don't own, without having to worry about the process being interrupted in real life, or saying goodbye to the beefalo as I go to sleep irl, as the beefalo will inevitably have been killed or untamed while I could not maintain it.

From me to the developers I strongly ask that the beefalo bell be simply moved to the tools tab and made more expensive or something when YOTB ends, as it is basically the only thing that allows me to enjoy beefalo taming in servers where I cannot constantly be there to maintain it.

At first I hated the Beefalo bell, it felt like instant taming of Beefalo: And in a way it still is-

all it takes is a cowbell and a few sticks and you got a loyal follower always! You can even put a saddle on and ride it before it’s tamed: And because you DON’T have to get off the Beefalo to pick sticks, grass, food etc.. you can drastically reduce the rate it’s tame drops by always riding it.

However: All the GOOD changes the Bell Brings (Beefalo being able to go in wormholes, in caves, leave the game when player leaves) all of that outweighs slightly easier taming.

So I agree the bell should stay- But I ALSO agree Beefalo Skins should be a thing.. unfortunately that means the Event itself is significantly less special... But I Really really REALLY want customizable Beefalo’s.

I also want a two person saddle for a Beefalo.. (like in that other thread)

All of this I feel would make great Beefalo QoL updates. :) 

My only concern with Beefalo is that they can potentially over-simplify certain aspects of the game (Wendy+Abigail+Beefalo in a Caves is a thing now..) but other than that.. The Bell is basically Klei’s version of an Ark Survival Evolved Cyropod (or Better yet Pokémon Pokeball)

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

This was always the way how they worked...

I know, but there’s differences now: Not having to get off the Beef ever and STILL being able to pick up resources to feed to it once it bucks you off is a huge change.

I can passively tame and feed a Beefalo now while riding it (then feeding till it farts once it bucks me off)

Before the bell: Beefalo didn’t stray too far away from their herd if you just tried to tame it off straight sticks by themselves- you could try to lure it away but it eventually migrated back to its herd.

You could make salt lick and move the entire herd into a pen nearby I guess... but NOW you only need to shove the grass/sticks you were collecting while riding him/her in it’s mouth after it bucks you off-

the TL:DR it’s just much easier now.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I can passively tame and feed a Beefalo now while riding it

Before the bell: Beefalo didn’t stray too far away from their herd if you just tried to tame it off straight sticks by themselves- you could try to lure it away but it eventually migrated back to its herd.

You could make salt lick and move the entire herd into a pen nearby I guess... but NOW you only need to shove the grass/sticks you were collecting while riding him/her in it’s mouth after it bucks you off-

Have you ever tried to tame a beefalo before?

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I feel like you're under the impression that before the beefalo bell, it was impossible to ride beefalo without having them fully tamed, which is entirely untrue and would make the rider beefalo impossible.

Before reap what you sow, the typical way you tamed beefalo was by feeding them enough stick/grass to raise their obedience to above 50%[preferably 100%], saddle them and then just ride them constantly. Riding them raises domestication both before and now, so you would just keep riding them and feeding sticks every day to raise the obedience. 

The beefalo bell while also fitting in perfectly fine in that strategy, also helps the player tame a beefalo by feeding it for its hunger, as it makes the beefalo follow the player much faster, which means the player could just farm a bunch with reap what you sow and feed the companion beefalo as they go along.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

know, but there’s differences now: Not having to get off the Beef ever and STILL being able to pick up resources to feed to it once it bucks you off is a huge change

This is a huge qol change, you are right but

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I dont think it work in that way. In my experience,  when i unride a beefalo to pick stuff the beefalo was following me (slowly than now with the bell). They only leave if you let them alone for so long that was a mistake because the lose domestication

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You could make salt lick and move the entire herd into a pen nearby I guess...

Salt licks doesnt last for so long if there is many animals using it (deers and koalaphants included), instead you can make the pen for your beefalo that will waste way less resources

Anyways, unless is early game where hound waves are small and there will not be bosses, i prefer to ride the beefalo to prevent problems

The bell is useful to make him follow you meanwhile you pick stuff (for example for your chest in base) but i dont see why i would like a beefalo following me without riding it since his domestication will not rise as quicly and will be in danger. I even have the bell in the backpack (the few times i use it) in case a hound wave come i could equip my mag and run knowing that the beefalo (right now a speed one so it sucks figjting) will be safe.

I have salt licks in strategic spots so i can let the beefalo waiting me meanwhile i fight df beequeen or what ever and when i finish i will know he will be tjere waiting safely

In early game is true that the bell makes domestication less painful because you always know that your beefalo is following you but nothing crazy, just more confortable. Also ot helps if you timed wrong the days needed and summer starts, you can keep the domestication in the caves

About the beefalo making things less difficult... i dont know, taking care of the beefalo is high risk high reward mechanic a couple of rooks hitting him while you arent riding him and bye bye your cow forever

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

At first I hated the Beefalo bell, it felt like instant taming of Beefalo: And in a way it still is-

all it takes is a cowbell and a few sticks and you got a loyal follower always! You can even put a saddle on and ride it before it’s tamed: And because you DON’T have to get off the Beefalo to pick sticks, grass, food etc.. you can drastically reduce the rate it’s tame drops by always riding it.

However: All the GOOD changes the Bell Brings (Beefalo being able to go in wormholes, in caves, leave the game when player leaves) all of that outweighs slightly easier taming.

So I agree the bell should stay- But I ALSO agree Beefalo Skins should be a thing.. unfortunately that means the Event itself is significantly less special... But I Really really REALLY want customizable Beefalo’s.

I also want a two person saddle for a Beefalo.. (like in that other thread)

All of this I feel would make great Beefalo QoL updates. :) 

My only concern with Beefalo is that they can potentially over-simplify certain aspects of the game (Wendy+Abigail+Beefalo in a Caves is a thing now..) but other than that.. The Bell is basically Klei’s version of an Ark Survival Evolved Cyropod (or Better yet Pokémon Pokeball)

I wouldn't consider it less special, i'd consider it the start of something very cool.

Archived