Does applied horticulture produce giant crops?

8 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

No. The book is explicitly forbidden from producing giant crops. Nothing you do will change that.

You can, however, get 1 crop + 2 seeds with it, if wear an one-man band or something when you use it.

Got it. I suppose that would be rather broken. Thanks!

Like said earlier, no crops grown by the book will grow giant.

I like to use the Horticulture, Abridged early-game to get large farms up faster. I typically plant the seeds, talk to them, water them, wait till they germinate (become sprouts) to talk to them again and THEN read the book. That usually gets me 1 crop + 2 seeds for crops I have 4 of (which I then feed to a bird to triple my seed count) or 1 crop + 1 seed for crops I haven't gotten 4 seeds of. I would have at least a full stack of pumpkin seeds by mid-late autumn with this strategy.

I also use it to get more seeds for crops out of season. I can't really use the book to grow them from sprout stage and still get seeds back, so I grow them normally until I have 4 seeds, then start doing the same thing as earlier. I've found myself with a stack of dragonfruit seeds by the time the first spring came around, so I think this is a viable use of the book as well.

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

I like to use the Horticulture, Abridged early-game to get large farms up faster. I typically plant the seeds, talk to them, water them, wait till they germinate (become sprouts) to talk to them again and THEN read the book. That usually gets me 1 crop + 2 seeds for crops I have 4 of (which I then feed to a bird to triple my seed count) or 1 crop + 1 seed for crops I haven't gotten 4 seeds of. I would have at least a full stack of pumpkin seeds by mid-late autumn with this strategy.

the book is a waste

Just now, Seero said:

the book is a waste

I literally pick up 5 manure accidentally while collecting beefalo wool, and after the first 36 seeds it's unlikely that I'm ever gunna need any more. The only valuable material I'm actually spending is papyrus, and for speeding up the farming process a ton in a short time I would gladly spend those 2 papyrus I start with.

1 minute ago, Seero said:

the book is a waste

I don't think there is anything wasteful about getting a full stack of dragonfruit seeds by spring off of a couple of books. Keep shitting on other people's playstyles though!

Just now, Electroely said:

I literally pick up 5 manure accidentally while collecting beefalo wool, and after the first 36 seeds it's unlikely that I'm ever gunna need any more. The only valuable material I'm actually spending is papyrus, and for speeding up the farming process a ton in a short time I would gladly spend those 2 papyrus I start with.

don't waste seeds on the book, you want seeds to get more crops to have a hire chance to get the crops you need for crop combos

34 minutes ago, Seero said:

don't waste seeds on the book, you want seeds to get more crops to have a hire chance to get the crops you need for crop combos

seeds are literally everywhere its not that bad wasting a couple seeds to make the book

33 minutes ago, Seero said:

Crop combos aren't necessary for a good food source, though. I would rather get the book that can produce ~100 specific seeds over a few days than plant those 5 seeds for a small chance to get 2-3 seeds of the crops I want. I typically only farm pumpkins, garlic and potatoes. Sometimes they grow giant but even when they don't I still end up with enough food to both feed a base and keep it sane (via Creamy Potato Puree). 

31 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Crop combos aren't necessary for a good food source, though. I would rather get the book that can produce ~100 specific seeds over a few days than plant those 5 seeds for a small chance to get 2-3 seeds of the crops I want. I typically only farm pumpkins, garlic and potatoes. Sometimes they grow giant but even when they don't I still end up with enough food to both feed a base and keep it sane (via Creamy Potato Puree). 

Wouldn’t it be better to eat cooked potatoes for health and hunger, but make Purée strictly for sanity?

11 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Wouldn’t it be better to eat cooked potatoes for health and hunger, but make Purée strictly for sanity?

its more efficient but sometimes i cook the purée to have both restorations in one click (lovely for fw). Instead of purée for sanity you can make fancy spiralled tubers for sanity which only consumes 1 potato

16 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Apologies, I wasn't specific enough. I use the pumpkins and cooked potatoes for hunger, cooked potatoes mainly for health, and puree almost exclusively for sanity and treating smaller wounds. I end up farming much less garlic than other crops (I would estimate 4 garlic alongside 15 or 16 potatoes and pumpkins) because it's only used for sanity.

Archived