Exploity?

Hello friends,

you surely know that pumping fluids in small amounts (1000g or less) will not cause broken pipes (e.g. pumping magma through a heat exchange and cooling it to the freezing point). As far as I know, this mechanic is/was used from the developers for testing purposes -- I vaguely remember picking it up at some point. Of course, that doesn't make it a fact.

Does it count as exploitation to use this? Or is this actually part of the proper way of playing ONI?

46 minutes ago, MooChiChi said:

Hello friends,

you surely know that pumping fluids in small amounts (1000g or less) will not cause broken pipes (e.g. pumping magma through a heat exchange and cooling it to the freezing point). As far as I know, this mechanic is/was used from the developers for testing purposes. Does it count as exploitation to use this? Or is this actually part of the proper way of playing ONI?

Honestly in some parts its "logical". If you don't fill (or pressure) a pipe to the brime the contend has space for contracting and expanding due to heat.

I just imagine that i ether pipe "gas" paaacked in a fluid pipe or a "ice slurry" based on the temp :D 

Well it should not work like -300 degree below freezing point but well...

I think someone (@wachunga ?) showed the code. It's 100% intentional. At this point it's part of the Laws of ONI Physics.

Feel free to play a game with the added challenge of not using that mechanism. I think I've never intentionally used it  myself.

Well, no, I remember priming my first petroleum boiler with 1 kg oil packets... that was a long ago.  Since then I always prime my boilers with petroleum.

3 hours ago, MooChiChi said:

Does it count as exploitation to use this?

Are you bothered by the fact it costs exactly the same energy to pump liquids from the bottom to the top of the map and the other way around?

How exploity are gravity defying pipes for you?

How about making a continuous loop with just a bridge, moving liquid constantly w/o any power? I bet 99% of the cooling loops out there abuse of that "exploit" (it may be not a bridge, you can do the same with valves or reservoirs, all powerless).

Sometimes I am very curious why some very minor quirks in ONI physics rise to "exploit fame" (1kg packets, liquid locks, mechanical filters in pipes) while the very same people seem to accept major offending nonsense w/o even thinking how exploity it is.

ONI is a game, non a simulator. So any property of materials, any "law of physics", it's just part of the rules of the game. Questioning why 1kg packets don't freeze in a pipe is like questioning why in Chess knights move only in L shaped patterns.

An exploit is something that uses a bug / glitch in the game to break the rules. If you're playing online Chess and suddenly your opponent moves a knight 5 down and 2 to the left in a single move, that's a bug, and that move is an exploit. If someone cleverly beats you using the way knights move in Chess you can't cry "exploit!" even if you wasn't expecting that "because real knights don't move that way".

In this case, it's obvious how the game is supposed to work (and it's pointless debating on why such a decision was made by the devs). We've seen the code, that behaviour is coded explicitly, not an unwanted side effect. Even without seeing the code, anything that is consistent and general can be considered part of the rules of the game... I mean the 10% packet rules applies to all types of pipes (gas and liquid, despite the size being different), all materials and all phase changes. It's not like it works only e.g. for water in granite piping. It's very consistent.

It's not always that obvious and there are some gray areas... like picking stuff in a closed room via corner access. It's consistent enough (it applies to dups and sweepers), yet quirky enough (it works only when the dups are standing in specific tiles) to raise the suspect it's not entirely intentional.

9 hours ago, MooChiChi said:

Does it count as exploitation to use this? Or is this actually part of the proper way of playing ONI?

There are no exploits. Its a 100% single player game. You dont compete with anyone. You dont ruin anyones experience if you cheat the hell out of your game. Its not even illegal. 

If you find a clever solution for a problem, and you feel like it can work, do it. Who will judge you (beside some small minded people complaining about the blue sky, the green gras, and everything else, because their life is boring as hell, and they do not count at all)

Just keep in mind, the devs may change some things in the future, if they are not working exactly as intended. That means it will work for now, the next week most likely, the next year probably, and from that one maybe not anymore. But thats okay. You want to have fun with the game today.

12 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

You dont ruin anyones experience if you cheat the hell out of your game.

That's absolutely true. My advice to new players it to cheat freely to progress in the game. Either use super easy settings (e.g.forget about food) or print food with sandbox mode. It's a learning process and restarting over and over isn't always the best course of action. I fully support that.

What I don't support - I mildly dislike it, no strong feelings - is showcasing builds that rely heavily (or entirely) on bugs and glitches.

I simply don't see the point of them. They are marketed as clever, but there's nothing clever about them... there's nothing wrong in playing outside the rules, but - and because of that - the clever way is to use the tools the devs provided us, sandbox and debug mode. Since there's no cheating, being a single player game, there's no reason not to.

Or rather, the only reason not to use sandbox mode in ONI is to create something within the rules of the game.

The only sensible context for such builds is in bug reporting, in a way, to showcase to the devs how bad a bug is/can be.

Outside that, pulsing rapidly an aquatuner with automation to glitch its power consumption so that it runs with 0W, and building a steam turbine on top of it for free power production it a very poor substitute for the dev generator. It's not clever at all, the clever way is to use the dev generator that is superior in all regards.

Archived