Hermit Base

11 minutes ago, Yunru said:

as apparently Oxyferns lie about how much O2 they produce

That's interesting. How far off are they? I'd guess you're getting mass deletion for analogous reasons to when you have an open electrolyser. Making sure to have a constant layer of O2 touching the plant may fix it.

2 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

That's interesting. How far off are they? I'd guess you're getting mass deletion for analogous reasons to when you have an open electrolyser. Making sure to have a constant layer of O2 touching the plant may fix it.

I'm unsure, but 10 wild oxyferns (7.8 g/s each) fail to supply a single Diver's Lungs dupe (75 g/s), slowly resulting in lack of oxygen.

And by slowly, I mean "over the course of several hours on highest speed it went from light blue to blue."

17 hours ago, Yunru said:

I'm unsure, but 10 wild oxyferns (7.8 g/s each) fail to supply a single Diver's Lungs dupe (75 g/s), slowly resulting in lack of oxygen.

I've been sandboxing a design with 12 wild oxyferns that seems to work fine over tens of cycles. (Standard O2 consumption. See spoilers from a previous post.) I'm also electrolyzing the extra 6.7kg of water produced by the toilet (adds ~10g/s).

18 hours ago, Yunru said:

I found a pokéshell and a wild plant provides enough sand between it eating the polluted dirt and the rot pile, although I'm not sure if one plant's enough to break even or be positive.

Yah, you only need about 5kg/cycle of polluted dirt to make enough filtration medium with one dupe. My math may be wrong but sleet wheat (the fastest growing wild plant by mass) only produces 250g/cycle of rot pile (18,000g/72cyc). That equates to 16.8 plants to make up the filtration deficit.

On the other hand, if you fill up a sieve's 1,200 kg storage capacity your colony can run for about 500 cycles before you have to fill up the filter again. At the rate this base goes through filtration medium I'd say it's almost not worth the extra complexity. Unless you're building this base in a rocket (-:

58 minutes ago, occamrazor said:

Pretty sure bedrooms have to be at least four tiles high.

The post I was referring to was the first of QuQuasar which is 4 high. The second post has the room of 3 high. Sorry.. I didn't pay attention it was the same person with two different posts. I should have quoted the image too.

47 minutes ago, 2tallyGr8 said:

Does anyone know of a way to get renewable chlorine?

Geysers and rust de-oxidizers are the only sources of chlorine, currently, I believe. I think you can find rust on planets (in the base game) which technically makes it renewable.

16 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Geysers and rust de-oxidizers are the only sources of chlorine, currently, I believe. I think you can find rust on planets (in the base game) which technically makes it renewable.

Could you power a hermit base solely by refining the iron ore coming out of a rust deoxidizer? To the spreadsheets Robin!

21 minutes ago, occamrazor said:

Could you power a hermit base solely by refining the iron ore coming out of a rust deoxidizer? To the spreadsheets Robin!

Oh yeah. You produce ~42 kg of iron ore per cycle, so in a little more than 2 cycles you can refine a batch of iron ore and make enough power to run the deoxidizer for 60 cycles. Just a guess, but this should be enough power to run the refinery and whatever else you have in the hermit base.

I’ve been trying to optimize my ethanol build. Throwing in a wild Pokeshell in place of the deoderizers solves the sand requirement (ethanol produces plenty of polluted dirt to feed them), and replacing the carbon skimmer with a gas crusher or a space vent saves some power and means we no longer have to emit water, creating a closed system.

It still isn’t power positive, though, and that’s a problem. A closed system isn’t the goal: the goal is a base that keeps the dupe alive, happy and maximally productive. Dupe time is one of the inputs we’re supposed to minimize.

Currently, I’m thinking of rejiggering the entire build around an industrial sauna. If we can emit the polluted water from the petroleum generator as 270C steam and send it to the electrolyzer via the steam turbine, we’ll get power out of it and reduce our filtration costs at the same time.

On 1/12/2021 at 4:50 PM, QuQuasar said:

Currently, I’m thinking of rejiggering the entire build around an industrial sauna.

Playing around with this tonight. You have to separate out the ethanol production since it boils way before water so I think a molten slickster industrial sauna would be better. Currently reviewing FJ's Oasisse videos. Been a long week so I'm not gonna be able to do anything useful with a spreadsheet, but maybe this weekend I'll run the numbers.

On the other hand. I have my mushroom base about a quarter of the way built in survival. I may have to go to space to get a wheezewort though. *sigh*

6 hours ago, occamrazor said:

Currently reviewing FJ's Oasisse videos

One thing I've read somewhere, and I was never able to find the time to test it, is that at some point something changed and p water released by petroleum generators is instantly turned into steam around 125C, no matter how high the temp of the generator is (say, 200C). If you do build an industrial sauna, keep an eye for that. And let us know, please.

Got base 1 finished last night. Unless I am blessed by the RNG and the pod gives me a wort seed I'll need to get one from space.

20210125165738_1.thumb.jpg.805a3395dc7d6737da8346d75471ca68.jpg

Oops, forgot to put a CO2 crusher in my cooling attic. I'll figure that out if it becomes a problem.

Liquid plumbing

Spoiler

20210125165749_1.thumb.jpg.dd9776a94c8697794f2c698bb39627a8.jpg

Gas plumbing

Spoiler

20210125165753_1.thumb.jpg.23dff134374e7b3dde76cc93400b9cb7.jpg

Power

Spoiler

20210125165741_1.thumb.jpg.6983aa97e8fdcf39f3aec1f089d177f9.jpg

Automation

Spoiler

20210125165745_1.thumb.jpg.be04964f2d4d7c8e3e76841a776708ae.jpg

Shipping

Spoiler

This space intentionally left blank

On 1/23/2021 at 4:04 AM, TheMule said:

One thing I've read somewhere, and I was never able to find the time to test it, is that at some point something changed and p water released by petroleum generators is instantly turned into steam around 125C, no matter how high the temp of the generator is (say, 200C). If you do build an industrial sauna, keep an eye for that. And let us know, please.

Played around with this a couple days ago. Was having problems generating enough heat. (How weird is that?) I just threw all the output pWater into the sauna so I think that's my problem. Even pasting in 200°C steam didn't last all that long. And I don't know how many arbor trees to plant to make enough ethanol, but lumber doesn't rot.... so spam trees I guess?

On 1/12/2021 at 3:45 PM, 2tallyGr8 said:

So... I accidentally solved the power problem as well? By suggesting a rust deoxidizer? Cool!

I'm gonna tackle this build next. Really like the idea.

Got base 2 up today. This one is run on pickled herring, er gulp fish. I think this one is fully self-sufficient, but I'm still spinning up the pacu.

Oxygen comes from a rust de-oxydizer.

Food, cooling, and filtration is done by gulp fish. (see this reddit post)

Power is provided by refining the iron ore generated by oxygen production.

20210201020012_1.thumb.jpg.d57cb61a095a43d2c1401fba44055442.jpg

Plumbing

Spoiler

20210201020030_1.thumb.jpg.5523f519f0243d1ed4d4bea145e5974b.jpg

Gas

Spoiler

20210201020032_1.thumb.jpg.6b6c133319efc2032943a0698e01d397.jpg

Automation

Spoiler

20210201020026_1.thumb.jpg.8032ba89bf8509bcb4e7250afad6979e.jpg

Ok, guys. Winner solution:

What you need - 10 morbs for infinite oxygen, 1 oxyfern to remove CO2, 2 shove vole, refrigerator, 2 water pumps, 1 generator, 1 bed and 2 nice moldings to make dupes happy.

e.image.thumb.jpg.fadfff3c304ae79508f8663d727d2bb9.jpg

How to delete heat? Of course with pee

image.thumb.jpg.8cf0fe0cb3633a72894a5d35cbe06ac0.jpg

6 hours ago, degr said:

Ok, guys. Winner solution:

What you need - 10 morbs for infinite oxygen, 1 oxyfern to remove CO2, 2 shove vole, refrigerator, 2 water pumps, 1 generator, 1 bed and 2 nice moldings to make dupes happy.

e

Spoiler

.image.thumb.jpg.fadfff3c304ae79508f8663d727d2bb9.jpg

How to delete heat? Of course with pee

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpg.8cf0fe0cb3633a72894a5d35cbe06ac0.jpg

That looks great, but the dupe has to actually be able to wander the map and do other work.

7 hours ago, degr said:

You don't even need the oxyfern. Morbs will delete small amounts of CO2.

But I think you need to groom the shove voles. Unless they're wild, but then 2 won't feed a dupe.

A while back, I tried to do basically this for an infinite rocket, but using pacu since voles arent in the DLC yet:

Archived