Is sulfur still useless in the base game?

Yes, sulfur's still useless.

While doing an oil-to-NG boiler, you can re-use the sulfur to cool anything that needs to, including machinery into this boiler, depending on the setup you use.

But the fact that you're using sulfur even for that doesn't have meaning, it's interesting just because you get it cold from the boiler. (Even worse, it's quite a pain to cool with sulfur as it has bad thermic potential...)

So, yes, still useless so far. I agree, we're many to have asked for a veeeery long time any use for the sulfur.

However I think you may stay tempered when relating this idea to the uses we have in the DLC. We can't be sure this has been done to lock the use, deliberately I mean. Concepts could have been thought separetely. But it takes nothing away from the fact that sulfur uselessness into the base game is awkward.

31 minutes ago, Mastermindx said:

You can always vent it to space.

:roll: that's not what I call a use... 

Also, you get solid sulfur behind NG boiler, so you cannot vent debris to space. You just let those piling up on one spot.

31 minutes ago, Mastermindx said:

Not really

For many experienced player, who want to go deep into the game, it's used.

We don't have number of late game players that have used it at least once, and number of players that do not, but that's not OP main point.

You can use it, because it exists, some do, and if you do, then you get something useless. That's the point, having a game with something completely... useless.

The inconsistency of your answers make me think about trolling, I hope I'm wrong ^^

15 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Also, you get solid sulfur behind NG boiler, so you cannot vent debris to space.

You can actually carry it to space biome, heat it and then vent... Would work as heat deletion...  Not all that entirely useless.

And having something that is a plain waste, I have no problem with that...  That's kindda realistic too.  Lots of processes have useless, undesirable byproduct that need to be taken care of.

18 minutes ago, OxCD said:

For many experienced player, who want to go deep into the game, it's used.

Unless you are really unlucky with your geyser/volcano on your map, I don't think it is needed.  My latest base is running strictly on steam/solar, and I have overrun production. The only use I have for NG is for the gas range.

Well, apart the fact that we both apparently don't play the same way at all and don't aim for the same objectives, at least now that you've elaborated I get your answers :)

That doesn't take out OP's idea. Oil to NG is a thing, so sulfur is a thing, and suflur serves no purposes so far in base game.

About heat deletion, only Chlorine is worst than sulfur for SHC (and gaseous metal...). So even if TC is decent, I doubt there's not hundred ways to get better result ^^ well at least, I don't personally think it sounds like a valid or good reason for being. 

I use sour gas boilers in every game i play. I LIKE building such a complicated and intricate piece of machinery. I feels like a major sense of accomplishment after i get it up and running.

The sulfur waste does bother me a bit mentally. But I also have craploads of bleach stone i never use as well. so it's a not a big deal.

i shelled out money for the DLC and once it's brought up to a usable level (you actually CAN'T make a sour gas boilers in the DLC since there is no fullerene), i'll be using the suflur output to feed by bugs and make food.

1 hour ago, speckle21 said:

you actually CAN'T make a sour gas boilers in the DLC since there is no fullerene

It's a little harder, but certainly possible. Magma or metal refinery for heat. Hydrogen thermo regulators, AETN, or methane aquatuner for cooling.

2 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

It's a little harder, but certainly possible. Magma or metal refinery for heat. Hydrogen thermo regulators, AETN, or methane aquatuner for cooling.

oh the pre-space boilers? they work, but damn are they a hassle and give such bad returns. My 10kg/s sour gas pre-space boiler consumes 22kw just to run itself! And i've never found enough lime to make the necessary amount of steel for all the required components.

But my point still stands, once they fix the DLC it so you can get fullerene/thermium and make viable boilers then i'm going to go absolute ham and crap out enough sulfur to feed 50+ dupes with grubfruit preserves :)

@specker321, to be fair, even a 22kW drain on a 10kg/s boiler will leave you with a net 37kW surplus. More power than I've ever managed to use. Not to mention the extra water and CO2, and sulfur.

I'd say sour gas boilers are completely viable in the DLC, currently. Though, yeah, I definitely want supercoolent (and visco gel) back.

54 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

@specker321, to be fair, even a 22kW drain on a 10kg/s boiler will leave you with a net 37kW surplus. More power than I've ever managed to use. Not to mention the extra water and CO2, and sulfur.

I'd say sour gas boilers are completely viable in the DLC, currently. Though, yeah, I definitely want supercoolent (and visco gel) back.

If i may ask, can i see your sour gas pre-space boiler design? I think mine might be too much work and maybe your design is easier to build on survival.

(the major bottleneck to mine is prefilling it with 42t of liquid methane to get the coolant cycle working. It cannot be be bootstrapped in its current iteration) 

20 hours ago, speckle21 said:

If i may ask, can i see your sour gas pre-space boiler design? I think mine might be too much work and maybe your design is easier to build on survival.

You inspired me to post the one I've been working on:

I think this would be pretty easy to build in survival, as these things go.  Though it is huge. Start up is simple.  Let the hydrogen get down to temperature then just slowly increase the crude oil input rate until you get to 10kg/s.  I did 1.5 -> 3 -> 6 -> 10kg/s in testing.

Pre-Space 10kg Sour Gas-2.sav

6 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

You inspired me to post the one I've been working on:

I think this would be pretty easy to build in survival, as these things go.  Though it is huge. Start up is simple.  Let the hydrogen get down to temperature then just slowly increase the crude oil input rate until you get to 10kg/s.  I did 1.5 -> 3 -> 6 -> 10kg/s in testing.

Pre-Space 10kg Sour Gas-2.sav 1.61 MB · 0 downloads

That IS very good! makes mine look pathetic running 12 aqua tuners. very nice!

Archived