Re-enabling Debug Mode

After ~2 years using the debug mode,

here is a proposal to make the debug mode available to everyone ( who doesn`t yet know about it ),

thereby making the debug mode acessible via the games main menu as "Chemistry Free Mode" or similar.

Also the best players Steam rated contraptions/builds could be presented to the players of the free mode (debug).

It would be nice dear Klei :p

For those wondering, the file does need to be named debug_enable.txt

The OP had it written as debug_enable.txt.txt, which is wrong.

For some reason, there exists and people use an option to hide file name extensions in Windows which caused this confusion.

2 hours ago, nakomaru said:

For some reason, there exists and people use an option to hide file name extensions in Windows which caused this confusion.

It's the default setting. I think many are just not aware this option even exists.

To be fair, it seems a bit backwards that people still would have to learn about the limitations of filenames back in the 1980s, in order to use their computer effectively. So I understand the desire to hide that from users, and let the OS handle the extensions behind the scenes. Of course that doesn't work when we "nerds" keep referring to them explicitly :)

5 hours ago, molsen234 said:

To be fair, it seems a bit backwards that people still would have to learn about the limitations of filenames back in the 1980s, in order to use their computer effectively. So I understand the desire to hide that from users, and let the OS handle the extensions behind the scenes.

Modern OS's do become the biggest example of transferring control from the user to the OS, all in the pursuit of usability and convenience. And it's mostly a good thing, except when actual fine tuning/control is needed or when a good and already existing solution is discarded in the name of progress. The control panel hodgepodge that win10 brought upon us should be a textbook example of this.

I still don't like the new ribbons in some programs I shall not name.

In fairness, the guide in the wiki is still helpful enough to get this one done.

Still, I think the existence of a file to trigger the debug functionality is rather safe. Making this into an option to be edited in a configuration file does include some risk of breaking stuff.

5 hours ago, molsen234 said:

Of course that doesn't work when we "nerds" keep referring to them explicitly 

As explicit as "debug_~1.txt" ? :lol:

Anyways, it's good to see OP got this one up and running.

On 12/28/2020 at 9:29 PM, babba said:

After ~2 years using the debug mode,

here is a proposal to make the debug mode available to everyone ( who doesn`t yet know about it ),

thereby making the debug mode acessible via the games main menu as "Chemistry Free Mode" or similar.

Also the best players Steam rated contraptions/builds could be presented to the players of the free mode (debug).

It would be nice dear Klei :p

If you go to main menu :

obrazek.thumb.png.ced0d153b9be9be860b8a0d3bea10d40.png

and type very secret world: kleiplay you get debug mode enabled. But only for current play. (This will not persist if you quit/restart game)

Archived