Dwarf Star and Farming

So I got to thinking about exactly how much farming you can get done with a single dwarf star, if for some reason you found it necessary. (A light's out world or maybe just farming deep into the caves)

So after going into a world and testing out how far a dwarf star emits natural light (It pulses between a 5-8 tile radius), and did this "Farming reactor" to get the maximum amount of farm plots you can fit into the radius consistently while also separating the plots enough that it wouldn't just look like a ring of brown
image.thumb.png.4991d786b3717cd2e3985a136ea6da09.png
This can fit about 252 (256 if you fit 10 crops in the middle 1x1 plots) crops.

What to do with this information? I don't know because I just did this because I was bored and curious

23 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

wanted to ask, but does the dwarf star heat / light have a mechanical effect on the crop growing itself, or is it more of a visibility thing?

It counts as natural light. In other words, any crops in the radius of the star can also grow during night time. 

There is at least 1 downside in this method: if your crops are growing longer than 3.5 days, and your dwarf star went out and you did not have time to quickly replace it - say goodbye to all your seeds, because plants will become withered shortly without light.

17 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Does the Polar Star have a similar effect? It didn't look like it was growing crops at night when I tried it

No, the polar star is not a source of natural light, therefore, crops won't grow at night with one nearby.

3 hours ago, Duck986 said:

plants will become withered shortly without light.

Pretty sure this is not a thing anymore. I plant wild seeds in the ruins for sanity as Wormwood and before they withered when i ran past them again later but since the update that has not been the case. They just dont grow and stay as seedlings

32 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Pretty sure this is not a thing anymore. I plant wild seeds in the ruins for sanity as Wormwood and before they withered when i ran past them again later but since the update that has not been the case. They just dont grow and stay as seedlings

Kinda strange. Were there any light source near your seeds? Like Nightmare Light or something.

13 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Kinda strange. Were there any light source near your seeds? Like Nightmare Light or something.

Um no a few might have been near lightbulb flowers but they cant grow crops

I think withering in darkness was removed together with withering in summer 

4 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

What's not natural about a star infused with moon properties to emit frigid cold rays? 

To be more specific, the tag required for growing crops is "daylight". This makes more sense since daylight != moonlight, of course.

5 hours ago, Duck986 said:

There is at least 1 downside in this method: if your crops are growing longer than 3.5 days, and your dwarf star went out and you did not have time to quickly replace it - say goodbye to all your seeds, because plants will become withered shortly without light.

I believe that the new farm crops don't wither, and instead just stop growing—except when they're fully grown, then they will continue to "grow" towards rotting.

Archived