Fishing additions and (real simple) new sea biome

I couldn't help but notice we still lacked ocean fish on the "large" category. So I thought, why not add some bigger than average fish roaming on a more dangerous sea biome?

The concept goes like this, the Pale reefs would appear on deep ocean and house rocky mounds (which would spawn one rockjaw at a time) and tons of large fishes that would drop 2 fish meat each (with a chance of a morsel) and maybe have a rare chance of dropping colored gems, making ocean visits more desirable.

Large fish like the Swordfish from Shipwrecked, I would also like to see an Electrical Eel a LARGE (non Boss probably depths worm sized) Electrical Eel

it would be like the ones found in caves when pond fishing... but well, Electrical which could charge a WX78, and Electrocute everyone else :lol:

if for no other reason.. it would be a Hilarious thing to pull out the water while fishing.

10 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Gem fish and an Eel boss both sound amazing.

So do new reef areas similar to the salt stacks we have now but more varied and rich in resources and mobs.

I’m not really into turning the game into nothing but boss fights, if I wanted to do non-stop boss fights I would probably have bought a different game, I was thinking of introducing them as a common every day mob type, i would prefer more biomes, mobs to fight and craftables any day over yet another boss battle.

Maybe as Mini-Bosses that are still highly common to see, like Spider Queen and Tree guardian but hard pass on being an actual boss boss.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not really into turning the game into nothing but boss fights, if I wanted to do non-stop boss fights I would probably have bought a different game, I was thinking of introducing them as a common every day mob type, i would prefer more biomes, mobs to fight and craftables any day over yet another boss battle.

Maybe as Mini-Bosses that are still highly common to see, like Spider Queen and Tree guardian but hard pass on being an actual boss boss.

Completely disagree. To me the bosses are one of the biggest drawcards for DST. Also if you aren't doing Boss Fights galore at the moment you won't have all the special ornaments (OCD kicks into overdrive) =P

I don't really understand, to me the bosses are one of the main reasons to even play or expand your base and possessions. What are you gearing up for and preparing for if not bosses? Just each season and hound waves? Boss fights break up the collecting of resources and constant trudging around collecting things and upgrading your base. If there were no or very few boss fights I don't think I would have stuck with the game to be completely honest as end game would be pretty boring.

I'd love new biomes, mobs and craftables as well but I want new bosses just as much. I don't just mean one for the Mysterious Energy I would love to see several new ones - like a new summer giant because Antlion is pretty lame, two new ocean bosses, mysterious energy serving as the lunar island boss and the sealed portal in the archives leading to a new biome and area that has a boss at the end.

There are quite a few bosses in DST for what is otherwise an open world sandbox game and they are clearly a very important and big part of the game as far as mechanics and lore go. If you want certain items or loot you have to face giant scary monsters in this twisted world or sometimes they even come for you! - Deerclops and Bearger.

1 hour ago, GelatinousCube said:

snip

So, for me personally. I like raid bosses! They're fun and challenging, but along with Mike, id rather see biomes, craftables and the such more than I'd like to see another raid boss. I feel biomes and the such expand the game much more then raid bosses do, you say what are you preparing for if it's not for bosses. Well! I'd like to prepare for biomes as challenging and unique as the ruins, archives and the such!

That's just my two cents on this. :D

6 minutes ago, Hornete said:

So, for me personally. I like raid bosses! They're fun and challenging, but along with Mike, id rather see biomes, craftables and the such more than I'd like to see another raid boss. I feel biomes and the such expand the game much more then raid bosses do, you say what are you preparing for if it's not for bosses. Well! I'd like to prepare for biomes as challenging and unique as the ruins, archives and the such!

That's just my two cents on this. :D

Thats a good point, they do provide much more content. I'd love another really challenging biome like the ruins that you can similarly bring home a massive amount of loot from. The archives were cool with their new recipes and what not but I was hoping for more of a challenge.

I want a new dangerous and exciting biome... that also has a raid boss at the end =P

Edit: Maybe I'm burnt out from farming bosses almost non stop for Tree Ornaments.. I just want a new boss to add to the rotation

Evading danger & running away is a large part of ANY survival game, well any that takes claim to be an actual survival game. 

Fight or Flight- you gotta know when to fight, & when to avoid a fight so you can live to fight another day.

Bosses in DST lessen this threat significantly (unless bosses come to you) because they are stationary encounters that require you to summon & in the process you can bring the things you need to fight with well pre-prepared, armor, weapons, healing items, whatever you need.

In the rare chance a fight goes poor you may need to abandon & regroup- but that isn’t likely to happen much.

What would encourage more fight or flight behavior is more mob types, or bosses that force themselves down upon you when you least expect it- not predetermined by it being X season or Y day.

For example: my worlds are set to random season & season lengths, because of this I have Deerclops & Bearger spawning and getting up in my face either a lot more or a lot less often than normal. (depending on how the random seasons are flipping in and out) 

I can not pre-prepare for these two unavoidable encounters because by the time the game warns me they’re incoming they’re already in my face.

These two bosses aren’t too big of a threat to deal with if you know how- but the more complicated bosses (the ones I haven’t bothered to touch because I see no reason as to why I should..) Those bosses are chained down, bound to doing X task to summon.

If each boss dropped a key fragment that needed to be socketed into a doorway to unlock the next new game mode or if they barged into my territory uninvited I might would find incentive towards fighting them, but as they stand now they’re completely optional encounters that do nothing in the way of progressing my gameplay.

Not everyone’s going to play the game the same way so they will all have their own personal goals & tasks they will want to accomplish obviously- but I do wish Klei would lay off the boss fights just a bit and focus on more biomes, mobs, craftables, things to do etc.. Adding some new enemy types or weather hazards or NON-Optional bosses would bring more Fight Vs Flight, then there current set up for bosses.

Archived