Tungsten buildings should add +500C overheat temperature bonus

Tungsten has always been scarce, and it looks like it will continue to be that way. Making it a useful stepping stone in construction as opposed to it being just an ingredient to make thermium would be a nice touch. Its current overheat is only +50C and for that you might as well use gold/gold amalgam as that is much easier to get tons of. The high overheat bonus would still make steel as useful as it always has been, just that the few cases where you would want more overheat temperature bonus you could use the small amount of tungsten you have instead.

I`m all for alternatives to steel but it needs to be similarly hard to get. Maybe a tungsten alloy or something? Actually thermium is almost like a tungsten alloy but maybe something not needing niobium but requiring the metal smelter and maybe lime. I could also see a copper/aluminium alloy having similar to steel properties especially as you usually don`t get both on the same planet.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:55 PM, ZombieDupe said:

Tungsten has always been scarce, and it looks like it will continue to be that way. Making it a useful stepping stone in construction as opposed to it being just an ingredient to make thermium would be a nice touch. Its current overheat is only +50C and for that you might as well use gold/gold amalgam as that is much easier to get tons of. The high overheat bonus would still make steel as useful as it always has been, just that the few cases where you would want more overheat temperature bonus you could use the small amount of tungsten you have instead.

No

On 12/22/2020 at 11:41 AM, KonfigSys said:

it is not scares anymore in space out dlc... (4th planet). Steel is more scares as it is to be produced rather than to be collected.

It is, because you are bound by the output of the volcanoes, and by that point you will want to save  it for thermium, otherwise just using steel. Steel is much more abundant by comparison because iron is much more abundant on other asteroids, and you also get an extra iron volcano. Never have I ever had more tungsten than steel when getting to mass metal production. At best I would usually have a ton or two of tungsten, which isn't enough to make an entire build purely out of it, just a few buildings. This is why the +500C is reasonable. Why should I get to niobium volcano to make a leap from +200C to +900C? Tungsten being inter-mediate those two sounds much more reasonable with a better progression system than it being a waste alternative for gold amalgam until niobium.

I think with he right start I could make tungsten on cycle 2.  The problem, with +500C tungsten, is it's too easy to make from wolframite with the starting asteroid.  If they removed all wolframite from the starting/closest 3, then maybe an extra bonus above steel would feel good.  Also, berry sludge is the best space exploration food so I'm not in favor of losing the early cold biomes.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:07 PM, hegemontree said:

I think with he right start I could make tungsten on cycle 2.  The problem, with +500C tungsten, is it's too easy to make from wolframite with the starting asteroid.  If they removed all wolframite from the starting/closest 3, then maybe an extra bonus above steel would feel good.  Also, berry sludge is the best space exploration food so I'm not in favor of losing the early cold biomes.

You would only have a couple tons of it available if you use the rock crusher or even a smelter before you run out until you get to taming the tungsten volcanoes. That extra boost sounds fair, since you won't be able to make that many things out of it anyway. You can get the same amount of steel in a few more cycles if you really rush it, so this doesn't seem too powerful. You would resort to using steel or gold/gold amalgam or just regular metals for most things anyway and that's really all that matters. Tungsten/wolframite would then be a resource you would use conservatively (for example taming a few hotter geysers like a hydrogen vent or making a more stable sour gas boiler) until late game as opposed to it just being given to you early and sitting around in storage.

Tungsten is actually not that rare, since its pre-cursor ore is available in ice biomes. Having it add so much Overheat Capacity also greatly diminishes the benefit of Gold Amalgam and other Refined Metal.

There are also not that many setups that require machines with > 250C Overheat Capacity.

Steel is supposed to be the metal that players have to work for anyway.

Archived