End game Materials need a use

23 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Clearly, refined carbon has a wonderful end game use as platforms for the tungsten/niobium volcano planetoid. It stays solid far above that measly 3700C.

Imagine carbon fibre made out of refined carbon and isoresin as a late game material replacing steel. If it retained the high melting point it could do the trick.

27 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Clearly, refined carbon has a wonderful end game use as platforms for the tungsten/niobium volcano planetoid. It stays solid far above that measly 3700C.

So refined carbon can be used for building tiles? is this in the metal tile type? I have not seen it.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:57 PM, Yunru said:

You just straight up don't :P

Tame it with a different heat sink, such as flowing coolant over it then pumping away said coolant for cooling itself. 

What would you make the cooling loop pipes out of? What would you have the coolant be? Best I can think of is tungsten, but you can't use tungsten to cool molten tungsten! You could drop colder solid tungsten, but how would you then get it out? Use a thermium liquid pump and hope it doesn't reach near 1000C? Unlikely scenario.

2 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

I know endgame materials have always been a strange thing to deal with in ONI, the whole idea usually revolves around building some one thing you need - and it feels like a letdown in any game in that regard.

It's the early game availability of odd materials that's got me stumped.

What exactly can I use refined carbon for? And if this is one of those middle materials why hasn't it got any other use?

Refined carbon is a mid game material. You use it to make steel.

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

No, refined carbon tiles cannot be directly built by dupes and must be built by heating coal.

That would actually work even with steam as a heat sink. But it would mean that once you pop the tungsten or niobium volcanoes open, you gotta seal the area off quickly and make sure that never breaks. You cannot pop it back open and will need to pay close attention to steam turbines to not overheat, or make sure they work all the time so as to not let the steam get so hot, the temperature never goes down. No access to solid tungsten however without the chance of the auto sweeper itself breaking or melting. Same with any wiring and pretty much anything inside the tamer.

31 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

What would you make the cooling loop pipes out of?

Pipes? I'd vent it in, the suck it out without touching it with mini pumps.

Unsure what coolant I'd use. Boiling point doesn't matter as much as "can it survive until being pumped out?" 

In fact, to theorycraft further, a layer of coolant atop airflow tiles diagonally connected to the liquid via tempshift plates might work even better. 

The tempshift plates in this instance would have low conductivity to throttle the heating. 

Now that I think about it, corner connections with tempshift plates might even allow you to still use steam, merely in a separate chamber. 

Archived