Multiplayer?

This should be quite popular topic. But I havent seen it there. This is somewhat self-explainable question. Why no multiplayer?

There is like a lot of stuff to do, like cross-controling. Whule you can only control your duplicants, your friend can control the others. Maybe a couple of functions will be not accessible(like time warping and cheating), but still. U think that multiplayer itself could be a great addition to a very good game. I need a feedback from the developers.

Sorry for asking the question that maybe is still on the forum.

19 hours ago, Snic said:

Why no multiplayer?

Why multiplayer tho?

As someone with no friends and little time to play resulting wild gaming hours, I'd prefer KLEI focused on single player development - there is so many great things that can be added to this mode!

And even if I had someone to play with, ONI doesn't feel like multiplayer game. Such game mode would be more annoying than fun... I can imagine "friends" digging out a volcano only to make it rain on their partners. I can imagine other stupid mistakes that would make you mad. I can imagine brushing cancel across your plans, only because your friend needs space for <something>. I can see issues with game speed, being too fast for one of you and too slow for the other. 

Making multiplayer would require many changes reaching to the core of the gameplay. I'm sure KLEI would think of something fun, but still - it would be too much of a cost I believe, and I totally understand and support their decision to focus on single player mode only.

Also:

CDPR: Oh Really? Please tell me more. - 9GAG

Multiplayer is one of the best suggestions for this game.

I can think of a few ways it can work.
1. multiple players play as the printer (normal gameplay)
2. each player play as a single dupe + extra dupes for bots. (each player dupe, can then enter a planning mode, to guide other players or bots)

If I could program, I would strive to make idea two a reality, day and night.

48 minutes ago, Emeal said:

Multiplayer is one of the best suggestions for this game.

I can think of a few ways it can work.
1. multiple players play as the printer (normal gameplay)
2. each player play as a single dupe + extra dupes for bots. (each player dupe, can then enter a planning mode, to guide other players or bots)

If I could program, I would strive to make idea two a reality, day and night.

I would so love to play multiplayer with you dear @Emeal ...We could provide @cpy with the loveliest noodle-arm rolled out Pizza and Pasta !

My Plutonium Spaghetti is Mamma`s best :angel::excitement::bee::cheerful::bee::cheerful::excitement::angel:

image.png.e5f9634f13f5bc5f47659d45a0fa0d8e.pngimage.png.534216678ecbdb0007488734286d129c.png

Does ONI need multiplayer? probably not. I think the bigger part of the players will stick to single player if it would be added - though it remains unclear if that could attract a new and different audience to the game. 

Does multiplayer need ONI? Absolutely yes, because how many multiplayer games are there that offer that kind of coop experience ONI would?

I know that I would love to manage my colonies together with friends. It's a lot of fun to forge, coordinate and implement long term plans - albeit it might stress the capacities of the pause function since it might take some long discussions until we are all on the same page, hehe.

A special planning overlay would be useful especially for multiplayer, i.e. where one can make a sketch of where one wants to place stuff without your dupes actually doing it - and where one can select a tile range and move parts of the sketch around or copy and paste them. Would be cool if those planning overlays had both a player bound and a shared version, so two players can sketch their idea how they want to do something at the same time and then they could compare, move their sketches to the shared view so the others can modify it during discussion. 

Yeah, that's more or less an extension of the blueprints functionality which i think there is a mod for. That said it's obvious it is useful for single player as well. 

Multiplayer...

image.png.3e7f0f652e69bb37bc667db5215b2a4f.pngimage.thumb.png.7937ba107021112a5bd37ac1eaa60e85.png

2 hours ago, he77789 said:

I would rather think that multiplayer should be handled like how Rimworld mods do it; basically everyone starts on seperate asteroids but can trade dupes/resources via rockets.

+1000

Dear Papa Klei Smurf, need radiation to build nuke - Tank u :eagerness:

...I want to help others to faster melt ice - Team work ! :bee:

It looks like a lot of you are thanking like a mmo but dont make it that i thank a local or sever mutiplayer would work great so you only have select friends can play and with the spaced out dlc with the use of mutible astorides you would be able to have a friend on one and you on another thats how id thank

thank you

C-Norris

Hmmm... Ok you tell the dupes to build a toilet, and set it at 9 priority...

How do the other players use priority ?

MP would only work  if you had x planets for x players... but it would be like the latest Simcity MP but less , more like a few single games with small hooks into trading.

In short you cant really make a mp version of ONI that is co-op, it would be more each player has thier place...and can try trade for stuff.

On 1/6/2021 at 6:56 AM, ASnogarD said:

Hmmm... Ok you tell the dupes to build a toilet, and set it at 9 priority...

How do the other players use priority ?

MP would only work  if you had x planets for x players... but it would be like the latest Simcity MP but less , more like a few single games with small hooks into trading.

In short you cant really make a mp version of ONI that is co-op, it would be more each player has thier place...and can try trade for stuff.

Every building has just one priority? I'm not sure why you think it's a problem. Multiplayer would be just like single player except that your your friends could issue orders, too. You would see planed buildings and changed priorities that any other player set as if you would have changed them.

That's not a multiplayer mode one could play with random people, but with friends that's a great fun to plan and manage a colony together. at least for some of us it's one of the best multiplayer experiences one could have.

There might be a different multiplayer mode where people don't share the same base... but i don' think that would work well with how the game is setup. separate colonies make barely any sense at all because if player don't really interact much with each other (or not at all for the first 50 cycles or so) then forcing everyone to play with the same speed an game time makes little sense to me. 

Anyhow, if you want a more elaborated argument, look this thread:

Imagine if one player puts his dupe colonists in medieval armor and the other player has a hoard of dog pets in his colony ( which need "Dupac Meat" ), that would be great variety and multiplayer fun :afro: More outfit customization in the game would be great + dogs...server hamsters and cats - Miouuu. More calcium needed in the bone factory !

image.thumb.png.d7b962e2f82c114e2397cd3a16a6c0ba.png

Also archaeological finds of old Dupe genetic (b)ooze bones and skeletons in rusty chains would be great :adoration: Still cant build a castle in the game ! Fly to(gether)(to) Planet "Lovoid" and save the damsel in distress...and get 1000 "Klombonombiom" and a damsel dupe kiss on completion, give us some challenging endgame ( multiplayer ) goals with a meaning dear Papa Klei Smurf.

image.png.9622c20a476204555cb33dc15c987206.pngimage.png.933f49ba1b08cc6f0b1f2153cf8c465d.png

Yeah, I just "rediscovered" Don't Starve Together with my friends (used to play the single player version before), and when I fired up my old ONI colony today for a change I suddenly thought "how great would *that* be if you had a multiplayer version" - it could be a seperate game, like DST, so people who don't want to have multiplayer adventures can just ignore it :-P ... and then the creative part of my brain started running amok and came up with some stuff like
- every player starts on their own cozy little asteroid
- as you explore space you find there are other colonies like yours (your multiplayer friends... MAYYYYBE even AI-run ones, MAYYYYBE even a hostile AI, drones run amok... oh, the possibilities)
- you could work together
-- research technology or use rockets to "exchange" workers
-- join forces to colonize other asteroids (sharing facilities or "claiming" territory that you can allow/disallow your partner to use)
-- join forces to deal with "desasters" (maybe meteor showers cyclically emanating from a source that could be landed on and "fixed", or said hostile AI-entities, maybe Giant Space Slugs...)
- which means there could be a whole new research tree for "not so peaceful playstyle" - providing your dupes with armor and weaponry, maybe fixed installations on your asteroid surface, maybe even rocket variants that can be used to exchange some missiles - but have all that martial stuff be an optional feature, make it possible to decide whether players want to compete or cooperate, and if they want to coop, leave aggressive features be optional too...

Seriously, ONI is definitely one of the games I do love to death, but I sometimes miss the company of other people.

Archived