Telescope frustration

Please show a silhouette of the area that needs to be clear for the telescope. Nothing more frustrating than thinking you are meeting the criteria of the description, but it doesn't work. You already do this for light sources. It seems like the same code could be adapted to the telescope and other things that have "area of effect" requirements. 5 tile radius. 5 tiles from where?

Prepare array like this:
102Percent.thumb.png.47cc49a04e94944e219c490adfc533f9.png
Keep in mind there are only 4 detectors shown. Last two are below screen. 6 scanners total! Keep distances! Don't use any other equipment close to scanners.

EDIT: I am sorry I merged two topics I was previewing.

I should have been more clear that I was talking about the DLC alpha telescope, which is a bit different. Same frustration applies to the old telescope though. How hard would it be to render a silhouette over the area that needs to be clear when the building is selected. It would make them far less confusing/frustrating to get started with.

I should have posted this in feedback suggestion forums, not general. Oops.

Keep in mind that any gas will act as a sight blocker for the telescope if it`s above it. This is especially a problem in the dlc where you got background tiles extending high above the the top biome and any gas released will linger there for several cycles.

15 hours ago, EleriusX said:

I should have been more clear that I was talking about the DLC alpha telescope

Would of had more luck in the DLC subforum :P

5 hours ago, EleriusX said:

Gas blocking line of sight on the telescope makes no sense to me

Imagine trying to view the sky through a blanket of cloud, or worse, smog.

Or even just the massive shell of oxygen we have that stops you seeing stars in the day.

This is a very good suggestion.   Having an outline for the telescope and scanners   would really help alot.     I'm always having to count my tiles for the scanner placements. 

This should also include things like machine interference distance radius around the scanner.   And visible light of sight ranges for detection 

10 hours ago, EleriusX said:

Gas blocking line of sight on the telescope makes no sense to me;

Ever actually tried using one? You need clean (possibly thin) air, the less pollution the better. And also still air, no wind. Now, a tiny bit of CO2 isn't going to completely block a telescope, that's true. But since a tiny drop of crude oil can block a 200t tank of water in the ONI universe, I wouldn't expect something much different with the telescope. :)

11 hours ago, TheMule said:

You need clean (possibly thin) air, the less pollution the better.

If that is, indeed, what was causing me problems, then they need to explicitly call it out in the description, because I was fully outside by base, and if there was any atmosphere it was in the milligram to microgram range.

Oddly, I finally got it to work by enclosing it with tiles and glass tiles on top, above the the "back-wall", added my own sheetrock back-wall, and filled it with PO2 so my researcher didn't have to run back for air every few seconds.

So my only conclusion at this point is that the telescope is buggy. (again, talking about the DLC content)

Go figures ....there is mod already that addresses that oversight for the base game.

I am eager to have mods enabled for the DLC to get rid of these nuisances the devs are yet to handle. Maybe they don't want to deal with those issues now, because they said they are also "eager" to play with mods ._.

18 hours ago, EleriusX said:

So my only conclusion at this point is that the telescope is buggy. (again, talking about the DLC content)

I`m pretty sure the dlc telescope works just like the live one when it comes to range above it:

Spoiler

20201213181915_1.thumb.jpg.ba5c0b93a6dcf517c5796d303bb953c0.jpg

You can see it works when fully covered above but the tiles to the left are empty. Deson`t even need to have space tiles behind. I`m pretty sure the telescope in the base game worked the same.

Archived