On Electric Damage (and beefalo)

When a Charged volt goat hits a player with electric insulation who's mounted on a beefalo, the damage is still passed to the player. The damage from this is 25, the damage of a normal volt goat, so the electric damage modifier is negated by the electric insulation but still passed on to the player instead of the beefalo. This damage is still affected by armor, and also procs the affects from bramble husks, scalemail, and bonearmor. 

So my question is - Why does this happen? My theory is the electric damage from the attack is passed on after, similar to how when Wagstaff eats butterfly wings and the healing doesn't outright negate the damage from eating raw foods, because the damage is added on after. But shouldn't the beefalo still absorb the physical damage if the player has insulation from the electric damage? Is this some awkward culmination of game mechanics and actually a glitch?

Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated!

19 minutes ago, The Noon Fish said:

it could be because the beefalo itself doesnt have electric insulation from voltgoats, but i could be wrong on that.

Beefalo don't have electric insulation so maybe it's because the game sees some of the damage being taken out by the insulator and transfers all the damage to the player because of that? Or maybe a charged volt goat attack is considered semi-ranged and hits the player for reasons I can't comprehend? I dunno but sincerely thanks for the help. 

Ah, yes, logic in a game where having an umbrella on your head prevents you from being tased by a goat that was struck by lightning and somehow survived over 30k Ampers. Oh yes and eating some fish makes you repel water from immediate vicinity.

Jokes aside, that must be a bug. Beefalo takes all melee damage, and getting tased is still melee... unless that goat actualy shoots lightning at you at the same time as it smacks your beefalo.

The real answer is likely the game does not see a mounted beefalo as two separate entities from the character. When you mount a beef it is quickly replaced by the player's new state and graphics, smoothed out so it looks believable. So obviously there's going to be quite a few oversights in other game calculations.

Archived