The new sublimator seems good for puft farms.

The new oxygen machine allows us to create tons of polluted oxygen without a large setup. This looks like a good way to farm pufts. When i attemped that the main problem was polluted oxygen running out eventually. The sublimator fixes that issue. I wonder how useful would farming pufts be on the swamp start asteroid. Maybe bringing pufts eggs and fungal spores from space could be a valid strategy.

Polluted is renewable and can be off-gassed into pO2. But, yeah, it's significantly more complicated to setup an high capacity pwater -> pO2 machine than to build a sublimation station.

Even so, I've never really seen the point in ranching pufts. Renewable slime (and therefore algea) is nice but the yield is so small. Bleach stone isn't really necessary. And oxylite can be made much more easily with the oxilite refinery for the brief period before you have liquid O2 for rockets.

so one ethanol distiller produces 200kg of polluted dirt a cycle, 1kg of polluted dirt makes 660g of polluted oxygen.  so one ethanol distiller would produce 132kg of poxygen.  that would make 119kg of oxygen through deodorizers, that would use 158kg of sand per day.  otherwise you have to condense the poxygen to liquid oxygen and 'clean' it that way.

otherwise, pufts eat 50kg and produce 47.5kg of their material, other than the prince at a 30kg for 3kg.  so, 132kg > 126kg slime.  enough for 31 dusk caps or into algae/pwater.  idk about you but that -changes- the game for arbor trees imo.

7 trees, 4 ethanol distillers, 1 generator, slicksters, pufts, pacu.  7 trees = 333kg of lumber at best so lets round down to 325kg per cycle per tree. 2275 lumber per cycle, 4 ethanol distillers consume 2400kg per cycle so no excess lumber laying around.  2275kg of lumber > 758kg pdirt/ 380kg co2/ 1137kg ethanol.  1137kg ethanol > 284kg co2/ 426kg pwater.  758 pdirt > 2 stations for 500kg po2.  500po2 > 475kg slime > 158kg algae/ 317kg pwater.  664kg co2 > 332kg petroleum.  that requires 10 pufts, 33 slicksters, and 2 pacu.  preferably molten slicksters ofc

the domestic trees would take 7*70=490kg of pwater.  this set up would generate 743kg of pwater, not counting the petroleum from the slicksters.  that's a -net gain- of 253kg pwater per cycle.  this setup (without slicksters) would feed 6 dupes and enough oxygen for 3.7 dupes.  you could get more oxygen through processing the petroleum from the, preferably molten, slicksters.  the excess water could also be used to farm pacus aggressively, the excess pwater could go arbor > ethanol > nosh bean > pacu for insane gains. there's also more pwater if you process the oil/petrol into sour gas.  i'm planning to setup bases with this in mind as we only get the two cool slush geysers, averaging 3kg/s of water

on the other hand, a glossy drecko ranch could serve the same goal.  sour gas boil the plastic then cool for natural gas and sulfur.  with the new sweetles/grubgrubs this would be very good for food generation with the sulfur.  one stable (12) of glossy dreckos would make 600kg of plastic on average per cycle, i think.  that would be 402kg of nat gas / 198kg of sulfur.  that's 300kg pwater so 5 dupes of oxygen.  at 198kg of sulfur, that would feed about 4 dupes with a grubfruit/grubgrub ranch, 8 dupes if fertilizer.  starvation ranch would be best for the dreckos and the sweetles reproduce fast and grubgrubs give a lot of meat

at the end of the day, one gives +3 food while the other gives +4.  i think the dreckos would be a smaller footprint.  and this is mostly all speculation.  i think i prefer the thought of arbor trees over dreckos as that doesnt benefit much from starvation ranching

I have been planning on doing something similar even without the sublimation stations.  Sure, you have to build up several large piles of pdirt to get it to sublimate fast enough but it's doable, and without the 30% loss of the sublimation station.  The only reason to bother with pufts is if you want to grow dusk caps and otherwise are out of slime, or want to breed more pacu and are out of algae.  By that point there's a good chance you have all the surf and turf you can eat.  If you don't need the slime or algae then you're better off just cleaning and breathing the po2 from the pdirt than feeding it to pufts and distilling the slime.

14 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

And oxylite can be made much more easily with the oxilite refinery for the brief period before you have liquid O2 for rockets.

They don't need gold or power, in fact they are the lowest tech option for oxylite, converting the 5% oxygen tax into meat and eggshells. They also scale fairly well if you need to ramp up production from my experience, since you just need to breed more of them versus getting more power (and gold).

Furthermore the space, rocketry and map generation changes might throw the current habits out of the window as typical "expected" resources such as gold, coal, oil or iron are not guaranteed to be available easily. All it takes is not to have a source of gold to make the oxylite refinery not an option. Liquid oxygen production meanwhile is more of a matter of time (production capacity) given the available engineering options for cooling, power and oxygen production.

Meanwhile rockets are available earlier, with oxylite having a use both as an oxidizer and as a means of oxygenating the inside of the crew module (or for building air pockets/colonies on new planetoids), and you need to go to new places faster to get new resources. So I guess the window when oxylite is needed for rockets moved it's starting point more to the left.

The point at which liquid oxygen can be made will probably jump around depending on the cluster and starting planetoid which impacts what you could build to make liquid oxygen. I figure this is why fertilizer is also an option, just in case there's no gold or pufts to be found before liquid tanks.

To summarize - If life gives you Pufts, make oxylite.

14 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Polluted is renewable and can be off-gassed into pO2. But, yeah, it's significantly more complicated to setup an high capacity pwater -> pO2 machine than to build a sublimation station.

Even so, I've never really seen the point in ranching pufts. Renewable slime (and therefore algea) is nice but the yield is so small. Bleach stone isn't really necessary. And oxylite can be made much more easily with the oxilite refinery for the brief period before you have liquid O2 for rockets.

Bleach Stone is good for feeding waterweeds which is good for high end foods.

Ranching Dense Pufts gives you access to easy oxylite for your pre-liquid ox setups 

Archived