A new dangerous season

A situation where rollback wouldn't save your game  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like it ?

• Yes
    • No

By removing the disease, it makes me think to a "rot season". A season where every plant would die, even trees. Everything.

I just wrote "I would like to feel some fears". But it's about a real fear to lose my game, and for that, we have to make the rollback useless. Just because we wouldn't be able to rollback days enough to save us.

A rot season could appear after 2 years. The best would be with a little warning. It wouldn't work if we place it every time after the summer. This warning would give us like 10 days to prepare ourselves. Does it mean bundle wraps ? I... Guess yes.

The thing is to put us in an emergency situation, where if we don't prepare ourselves, we would for sure die from starvation. All life would be dead, rabbit and pigs would turn into... things, dropping worse than monster meat. Expect no food source during this time. 

Then it doesn't have to be every year, just unexpected.

I don't know how many players are using rollback, but I feel like we need some crazy situations where we could loose everything.

72% no. I almost don't understand. What are you afraid of ?

That kind of moment could be a perfect DS moment, where the difficulty many asked for would be present.

It could be rare, but it could exist.

Why the "no second chance" would totally disappear from DST ?

1 minute ago, Moonatik said:

That kind of moment could be a perfect DS moment, where the difficulty many asked for would be present.

i like a new season to break the rutine but i dont think what you describe fits with a engaging gameplay

3 minutes ago, Moonatik said:

It just doesnt fit.
So far there was no "fifth season" and i think it should stay.

6 minutes ago, Moonatik said:

Well, it's down to 68% if it makes you feel any better.

1 minute ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

It just doesnt fit.
So far there was no "fifth season" and i think it should stay.

Fifth season was just an example to introduce a specific moment.

2 minutes ago, ZeeDragon said:

Well, it's down to 68% if it makes you feel any better.

Wait, I'll check my heartbeat.

No ! It's not enough. Help me, vote YES.

Why is it at (as of when I wrote this) 68% no?  Because it sounds dark and depressing as hell!  Even the nastier seasons in Hamlet aren't THAT bad.  There's not _no_ food, trees have never, ever, EVER stopped growing in any season ever (except for when they're on fire), and gross mouldery melting blobs of bleck dropping off of things you kill and also being just all around you sounds disgusting and depressing.  I would absolutely hate every bit of it, shut down my game and lose that world, by _default_, the second it happened.  I could never, ever, ever, ever have hundreds-of-days worlds ever again.  If there's nothing to eat from ANY source _and_ everything's gross...why am I playing, again?

In other words:  Over my dead boon.  (Which is what my character would become: a skeleton with possibly useful stuff by it.)

I mean even during the Aporkalypse you can eat SOMEthing!  Maybe if the rot season affected only one type of food but not the other?  (Then in that case, goodbye Wigfrid or Wurt...) And if it didn't hit trees.  Gross rotting trees everywhere sounds like something that wouldn't do my soul any good to look at, even in cartoon form.  Just...bleck.  No.  (Also I use mods that make HUGE trees.  _That_ sounds like it'd be fun to look at...)

A milder version, where things are hot in a humid-and-sticky way rather than a hot-and-dry kinda way and things rot _faster_, maybe.  But not everything including trees, and meat being ALREADY ROTTEN the second you kill the animal!  Come on now.  Even the poisonous snakes in Shipwrecked drop only _stale_ monster meat...

Or if the whole deal was COMPLETELY OPT-OUTABLE.  Remember, we do still have newbies.

Thankfully, Klei would never go for this, so I'm sorry for being so emotional.  It just sounds so..._awful_, and I play games for escapist entertainment, not to be depressed.

...Notorious

5 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Why is it at (as of when I wrote this) 68% no?  Because it sounds dark and depressing as hell!  Even the nastier seasons in Hamlet aren't THAT bad.  There's not _no_ food, trees have never, ever, EVER stopped growing in any season ever (except for when they're on fire), and gross mouldery melting blobs of bleck dropping off of things you kill and also being just all around you sounds disgusting and depressing.  I would absolutely hate every bit of it, shut down my game and lose that world, by _default_, the second it happened.  I could never, ever, ever, ever have hundreds-of-days worlds ever again.  If there's nothing to eat from ANY source _and_ everything's gross...why am I playing, again?

In other words:  Over my dead boon.  (Which is what my character would become: a skeleton with possibly useful stuff by it.)

I mean even during the Aporkalypse you can eat SOMEthing!  Maybe if the rot season affected only one type of food but not the other?  (Then in that case, goodbye Wigfrid or Wurt...) And if it didn't hit trees.  Gross rotting trees everywhere sounds like something that wouldn't do my soul any good to look at, even in cartoon form.  Just...bleck.  No.  (Also I use mods that make HUGE trees.  _That_ sounds like it'd be fun to look at...)

A milder version, where things are hot in a humid-and-sticky way rather than a hot-and-dry kinda way and things rot _faster_, maybe.  But not everything including trees, and meat being ALREADY ROTTEN the second you kill the animal!  Come on now.  Even the poisonous snakes in Shipwrecked drop only _stale_ monster meat...

Or if the whole deal was COMPLETELY OPT-OUTABLE.  Remember, we do still have newbies.

Thankfully, Klei would never go for this, so I'm sorry for being so emotional.  It just sounds so..._awful_, and I play games for escapist entertainment, not to be depressed.

...Notorious

Ok. Bad example from me, but once again, that season was not the point. So let's forget it.

We already all of us played this game with the risk of loosing everything. That was in DS. We could reappear with good items, but there's accidental moment where unfortunately, we lost some games. That's part of the universe.

DST has no moment like that, and even if you don't use rollbacks, it's a possibility you'll have a mind, it just exists. 

I was thinking of a part where you'll take a real risk. So let's make it optionnal, why not. Like if you choose to enter this island, you'll have to cross it. It will take days enough that rollback won't get you out of there. You'll have to pass it, or die because you'll be unprepared or whatever.

While I’m not sure about your particular idea: I would like more seasons.. in general-

And because the game is supposed to be an Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game I would like more things to happen that challenges your survival that forces you out of your nice cozy base and into the wilderness.

I live in South Alabama and down here we go through something known as a Tornado Season, this should be self explanatory but it’s a thing that rather unfortunately happens and destroys stuff leaving people to have to repair and rebuild.

The Closest thing DST has to that is Deerclops, Bearger and Antlion Sinkholes all 3 of which can be kept out of your base..

But what if there were things that happened that FORCED players to abandon their base and have to venture out into new locations the game would feel a lot more Uncompromising, I want unavoidable situations that you can’t just build something to defeat the entire challenge (Wildfire/Iceflingo) 

New Seasons could do that- Such as Tornado Season, Flood Season, Mating Season, Dare I say Disease or Polution season?? 

a season where animals can become contaminated, and they then contaminate everything else they come into contact with effectively killing out entire areas of land and forcing the player to leave and base in a new location.

Just as History has proven in real life with weather changes and forced Migration.

Maybe reserve something like this for a Harder difficulty mode- But I would most defiantly enjoy content that forces players out of their base so they have to pack up and head elsewhere until the area returns to being stable enough to live within again.

Think of it like basing in the Mosaic and the Meteor Showers that force you to leave, then return to repair and rebuild what’s been wrecked.

We need Seasons like that in a Uncompromising Wilderness Survival game.

How about some kind of harsh season that would be like a boss fight on it's own ? (with some steps the player has to make to activate it)

Once you activate some kind of mechanism you would have to survive a certain number of days in an apocalypse-like season to be rewarded by a boss or loot at the end.

If the disease mechanic would be completely renewed from the ground up and have some season exclusive content then sure, otherwise it will be boring and tedious as hell to deal with. Considering how much disliked the mechanic itself already was, basing an entire unexpected season around it wouldn't be any better without any major changes.

Guys, why don't we just get an update on the seasons we currently have? I mean, there are a lot of weather effects that could be added within the game.Seasons do not affect the caves at all, there is a lot of potential there.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

But what if there were things that happened that FORCED players to abandon their base and have to venture out into new locations the game would feel a lot more Uncompromising, I want unavoidable situations that you can’t just build something to defeat the entire challenge (Wildfire/Iceflingo) 

I like that idea, and I think new islands and ocean content could be put to good use. What if in spring you cannot be on land due to the constant flooding and have to spend about 20 days drifting between islands and the ocean? (Well maybe a lot of people don't like that)

Being that they have given us updates related to forgotten themes of the game, and since the endgame content focuses on the caves and ocean it does not sound like such a crazy idea.

What if klei with character reworks is setting us up for a challenging destiny? I like that theory

Archived