Stop continous power draw of automatic dispenser

The automatic dispenser as currently implemented draws a continuous 60W of power.  Always. Even when it's empty, has no filters set, turned off and disabled by automation.  This is so inconsistent with other machines that I wonder if it's actually a bug.

Regardless 60W just to sit there and do nothing is too much.  I suggest that it should only draw power while actively dispensing.  So 60W for one second every time it drops a pile of debris.  This would bring it in line with other shipping machines (sweeper, conveyor loader) that only draw power when actively processing some material.

3 hours ago, irOninfernO said:

But isn't that why we have automation? Did you try to add a power shutoff to that machine?

As far as I can tell cutting off the power, like with a power shutoff, is the only way to stop the power drain.

My point is that it's a) inconsistent with other shipping buildings which only draw power while working and b) too much of a downside to make the dispenser worthwhile. For example, right now I'm just using conveyor loaders which immediately go to a chute for my storage pit.

14 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

As far as I can tell cutting off the power, like with a power shutoff, is the only way to stop the power drain.

My point is that it's a) inconsistent with other shipping buildings which only draw power while working and b) too much of a downside to make the dispenser worthwhile. For example, right now I'm just using conveyor loaders which immediately go to a chute for my storage pit.

then it is a bug or A BAD change :/ if it the latter, we must petition it as a community!

22 hours ago, irOninfernO said:

But isn't that why we have automation? Did you try to add a power shutoff to that machine?

18 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Doesn't disabling the dispenser by automation or power shut-off also disable deliveries to the dispenser? How would you automate dupes delivering and the device switching back on if it isn't a valid target for delivery?

22 hours ago, dekeonus said:

Doesn't disabling the dispenser by automation or power shut-off also disable deliveries to the dispenser? How would you automate dupes delivering and the device switching back on if it isn't a valid target for delivery?

you could use a cycle sensor or a timer sensor. 

Can we at this point also add the fridge to the list of items that should have a variable power draw?

C02 pits are easy to set up, so currently they mostly act as newbie traps getting them to burn through their coal faster.

Have the fridge draw power when they remove DTU at a fixed rate, until all the food is at 3°, then wait till it reaches 4° and draw power again to recool it.

17 hours ago, Whitecold said:

Can we at this point also add the fridge to the list of items that should have a variable power draw?

C02 pits are easy to set up, so currently they mostly act as newbie traps getting them to burn through their coal faster.

Have the fridge draw power when they remove DTU at a fixed rate, until all the food is at 3°, then wait till it reaches 4° and draw power again to recool it.

I second that, but calculation would be horrible since the more food the more stable the temperature

it is not a bug but developers decided like that and I agree with you it is a bad decision (or bad rework). Dispensers were not very popular anyway even without any power consumption. I used it only once where dups put ice manually and it falls into fish pool to melt. You cannot automate dispenser on this task (as soon as it switched off, dups stop bringing ice in this case to it and drop it while carrying from various part of the map). 

It is easy to replace with less power consuming option - just a simple storage bin and autohandler which consumes power only when it takes ice and through down or another option as mentioned by ghkbrew - simple and power efficient.

I vote against the change (keep it as in the vanilla game - no changes in the DLC). if they do not change it back I simply will not use it the same as sweeper after they remove the temperature resistance. One less building to use in the game. It is a bit shame really.

Fridges also represent a big question. Nobody uses them connected to the power grid (or in the late game when the power is abundant). It looks like they made a fix (not desirable by players. of course). My dups in DLC does not load any food into switched off fridges like they did in the vanilla game. Autohandler (conveyor loader) still loads fridges. Food on the floor is still good in cold and CO2.

They need to make refrigerated food give some kind of buff, otherwise it is, indeed, nothing but a noob trap. I'm not sure why they are nerfing things that people hardly use anyways. Wouldn't they instead want to make them worth using at all? Are they not aware that most (experienced) people use either corner pull or liquid lock chlorine food storage already anyways?

As far as the dispenser, if it actually takes power I would never use it again. It'd either be a conveyor with a chute (why have dupes travel a ladder when it's going to cost power anyways, just extend shipping when digging areas), or stack a few storage units with automation doors. It would just result in another item that joins the ranks things I don't use because there are better solutions.

Archived