Can we have World Tree?

Basically it's a tree that grow infinitely.

WorldTree.thumb.png.ce6c16a7a6252ec462e23004d57db609.png

Can only be planted by using "Seed of the world tree" and grow larger (additively) every year. Provide shade + rain protection if plant on surface, and provide earthquake protection if plant underground. You can speed up this progress by fertilizing or by reading book, but for limited size larger per year.
Object under world tree's protection wont trigger wildfire and wont get any wetness from rain.

World tree should cover a decent size base after 1000 days (15 in game year.) and cover entire landscape (not include ocean) after 65535 days (day count limit in dst)

Seed of the world tree can be get either from bossfight or quest.

19 minutes ago, gaymime said:

seems like something that would require a lot of work and a lot of memory for almost no benefit. most people can just build a lean-to, a tent, a bedroll or go to the caves to take care of wetness and to get protection from the weather

as someone know decent about dst code, this doesnt require any more memories than a single stone fruit bush because all it change is size. By proving shade it also work as a flingo protection when grow large enough. And by removing wildfire or rain by the right code it actually reduce amount of lag other items cause when they are on the wild.

35 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

as someone know decent about dst code, this doesnt require any more memories than a single stone fruit bush because all it change is size. By proving shade it also work as a flingo protection when grow large enough. And by removing wildfire or rain by the right code it actually reduce amount of lag other items cause when they are on the wild.

well, i dont think the community would be ok with something that does not change its graphics as it grows and instead is static and as time passes increasingly blurry and poorly scaled but that is a different conversation and i will set that to the side

could you please explain to me how an item that changes tile properties(both in its range of coverage and in how many tiles it occupies) does not require more code than an item with fixed tile properties and can you explain to me how it would 'reduce' lag when it is interacting with other coding on the fly and changing how that coding functions in the background over and over again. also can you please explain to me how it would even grow given that as it requires more tiles it would soon come in contact with other occupied tiles(like bushes), non-land tiles(like inlets and sea borders), mobs, creep, the player's base(if they have one) and potentially something irreplaceable(like the florid postern or a sinkhole or pig king). does it stop growing? does it instead only grow out in free directions? does it remove the item that is in its path? what about if you dont want the tree to keep growing? how do you prevent that? what if you want to remove the tree because it is disrupting the growcycle of something or it is making it difficult to maneuver on the map? how does it affect boss ai? is it something that a boss can break or is it something that can be used to break the game by disallowing bosses to move freely or by messing up their ai triggers? can you cut it down whenever or only at certain stages? how much cutting does it take? is it still 16 swings or does new coding need to be made to scale up how many swings are needed? how can you tell how many swings are needed? do you just eat through twenty nine axes and give up because you needed thirty to fell a tree that covers a quarter of the map? speaking of map exactly how would that show up on the map? is it a spearing colour like floor tiles or is it an item that must also change its graphic so it doesnt become warped and ugly as it grows? when it is cut down does it leave anything behind? what about drops, would it be something where you are constantly stopping to pick up the drops so the world doesnt crash from too many objects being on screen? does it drop nothing at all so that planting it is actually just a material sink with no benifit outside of the begining when it is small and manageable?

and that isnt even all of the questions something like this throws up. this is ONLY accounting for above-ground pathfinding, lag, graphics, ai cheesing and user qol issues.

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

I like the basic concept here, perhaps not infinitely but I can see this being very cool if done right.

i still don't get it.its just a tree that grows bigger and bigger and protects you from wetness?

1 minute ago, stranger again said:

i still don't get it.its just a tree that grows bigger and bigger and protects you from wetness?

That's what the OP suggested yes. But I like the idea of a tree that grows and grows and a lot more could be done with the concept.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:38 PM, gaymime said:

could you please explain to me

Quote too long so i reduced it, but here is my explain.
Why it reduce rain lag? First you must know what rain lag is, rain lag is when there are 1000 entities around player and their wetness increase by a small amount each frame, so by having 1000 entities, it require 1000 * caculation to increase those entities wetness, each frame.
In long run world or mega world, with 8 players  they will have about 8000~20000 entities around all of them, and if rain at the same time, each frame they have to caculate the same amount for wetness. it because all entities have their own wetness, no such thing as global wetness. By complete remove wetness increase function when items under tree protection, rain lag will be reduce by alot.

So world tree is quite simple, it will be global object when it large enough (same as moonlens) as the fact everyone from the world can see the tree. So all worldtree related function is just a distance between player to worldtree compare to world tree age. It does not change tiles properties.

What i pictured in my head is it's trunk will stop growing wider after it reach adult hood, but the top will keep growing, and once reach certain height, if player under worldtree protection, a screen like hamlet deep forest will appear indicate player are under the tree.image.thumb.png.6b270bf20118df470bb584946ec0821a.png
About bosses blocking, that is game balancing, but it can easily be done by give worldtree a hp bar, regen over time if not taking any damge. When bearger for example walk to worldtree, he will hit it equal to 12~15 axe hit. Worldtree can still burn for 3 damage per second, and will take days to completely burn out when tree become large enough and it can be stop by flingo. When you want to cut down world tree, depend on how long it lived, you will require about 12 chop as default, and + 1 for each 10 day world tree has grow.

This is just my rough idea, but klei rarely implement those suggestion so be wild. And immune to wetness + over heat + earthquake is already op enough (literally allow you to continue work on your stuff without worry about thermal, hp or rain sanity) + work as a flingo that doesnt require refuel. Why do you think it not doing anything?

if it doesnt change the tiles then things will grow inside of it, players can walk through it, it will either not be hitable except in the very center or else it will be hittable many from several tiles away from where it seems to be while in its growing stage and it will be an obnoxious thing that blocks one's ability to see once large enough. it could easily hoide unchecked mobs, bosses, fires and other unpleasant things if it doesnt take up the tiles it is growing on top of

Archived