What does the community think of the state of dst?

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

hosting a cave shard enables input delay and requires mods to have extra code to prevent from breaking and whatnot. I'm sure someone of your modding knowledge is already aware of this.

That "extra code" is very nessacary for networking information to and from the client and server. Every online multiplayer game works like this.

As for why it only happens when you enable caves, on single shard/forest only server the host is a client and the server at the same time(This is a special case, not a lot of online multiplayer games I know do this). When caves are enabled the server is on it's own and you become only a client.

On 11/4/2020 at 2:55 AM, QuartzBeam said:

And did I mention the Bulbous Lightbugs. They are amazing. I've pretty much ditched my lantern and miner hat since I abducted befriended those little guys. Or the Scorching Sunfish and Ice Breams? It's so good to not have to constantly stop and burn trees in winter or make endothermic fires in summer (not that you'll spend much time on the surface). Plus, the Sunfish can be dropped on the ground to quickly dry you off.

Lightbugs are so wonderful, I like to drop a whole bunch at my base to wander around and I love it. I imagine they are even better in lights out. I LOVE the thermal fishes even more, not having to craft more thermal stones is a wonderful convenience.

2 minutes ago, Hornete said:

That "extra code" is very nessacary for networking information to and from the client and server. Every online multiplayer game works like this.

As for why it only happens when you enable caves, on single shard/forest only server the host is a client and the server at the same time(This is a special case, not a lot of online multiplayer games I know do this). When caves are enabled the server is on it's own and you become only a client.

I know all that.

does it mean I'm not allowed to hate it lol

It's pretty fine for now but I have a different opinion about updates. I know most of you guys wants monthly small updates bc of not being stranger/unfamiliar to the game but I preffer a big content we got in three months to a small content we got in one month.

Small ones lost their interest really fast. I mean it's lost their point in just one hour I play but big updates make me feel like game got a DLC and fill my "content" hunger pretty good for months.

I’m an Xbox One player.. and you all know that but I felt like I wanted to provide Klei with an opinion about their game from the mindset of a Console player, now first off- We do not have access to mods, which means that instead of seeing a console player complain about how much a new character (Walter) seems to be a mash-up of random Workshop mods, we instead see things from a whole different perspective-

We see that as brand new exciting content, something new to play with in our game that doesn’t have the luxury of mod support.

What this means is that Every content update Klei has put out as well as every QoL update and Character Refresh (with the exception to Wigfrids) has felt like it added something NEW to the game for us-

Prior to the start of Return of Them and the Reworks DST still had not received any significant content updates for console players since its launch- you can’t really count Gorge or Forge (Forge was never on Console at All & Gorge was blink & you miss it content) Both of which was limited time and then once gone was just gone and your back to playing the same old game with no changes.

In the politest way of putting it- The game was getting boring, and there really wasn’t anything to do.

In fact I had actually stopped playing DST altogether because of just how it always felt like I was repeating the same old boring pattern over and over and over again- if there is one thing I hate in video games, ESPECIALLY video games made in year 2020.. it’s Repetitiveness. 

Then Klei announced that they would be doing the Return of Them updates and Refreshing characters with new exciting abilities, (you can probably check my forum join date to see how closely me becoming active here lines up with that announcement) My point is- it was NEW it was exciting and it made a game I was so bored of playing appeal to me again.

Finally DST was getting a sailable ocean and Boats! I was excited man.. 

And with each update Klei has added more and more into the game more to see, more to do, more to enjoy and have fun with- New Biomes, New Mobs, New Craftables, New Purchasable Skins, Reworked Characters with new gameplay, all of it was like taking a game that personally for me was flatlining and charging that sucker up with a defibrillator until it had life in it again.

There are Small things Klei has done that has gone A LONG way in improving the game for Console players- for example prior to Return of Them/QoL updates console players Tier 3 Spider Dens did not upgrade into Spider Queens in fact I think you could only have 2-3 on the map at any given time but someone brought the differences between PC and Console to Klei’s attention and NOW our tier 3 nests left un-dealth with can become Spider Queens too.

Then Theres the other stuff like being able to toggle random as season start time and season lengths, being able to pick Wendy and play with Pipspook (my own personal version of single player DS’s divining Rod) new biomes, new mobs, new craftables, BERNIE!, Everything has really added so much more to the game-

And while I feel like they missed on providing Wigfrid with something exciting & new.. every other update has failed to disappoint.

from making characters less frustrating to play by wearing their downsides, to lessening the amount of ingredients required in crafting items like bat-bat, Klei has proven that DST is finally being treated as the sequel it should’ve been in 2017.

Even small things people hardly pay attention to like that fun mini-game where you can give PK a championship belt and get hilariously smacked around by his champion pigs for a few minutes, or the Curio Cabinet mini games all of that is content that will entertain a console player.

there is still a ton of things I would like to see before Klei decides to stop doing updates to DST-

A more fleshed out, life filled ocean.

New Islands with unique mobs, hazards, & weather patterns specific to being on that island (similar to lunar and lunacy)

the rest of DS single players playable characters brought into DST.

Shipwrecked & Hamlet content/mechanics, (Tree’s that when chopped have a chance to spawn a snake/scorpion that will inflict you with poison bleed out damage)

More Control over that promising looking menu of stuff we can toggle on/off called World Gen Settings.

Lots and lots of new clothing & belongings skins to further customize my worlds with beyond my wildest imagination. (Including but not just limited to giving me access to craft/build and move around more of the games resources such as new Archeology tab)

More Curio Cabinet Mini-Games.

Elevated Platforms of land.

Craftable bridge platforms for said elevated platforms of land..

More new playable characters like a cool Rock Lobster, a Vampire, & Charlie herself.. 

An actual Adventures Mode where we quest to free Charlie.

A Klei Official version of what They feel a DST Uncompromising Mode should be.

Basically the TL:DR- I want Klei to continue to provide me with reasons to keep coming back to this game time & time again.

So with all that said- Thank You Klei for all the amazing content updates you have provided us with so far and Thank You for all future content updates you may provide later.

If I am happy and enjoying the game I’m playing, then I’m more likely to spend more money on content in the game I am enjoying & try to convince everyone I know of just how great it is.

for major stuff, i'd like maxwell to be redesigned. a lot of things about the current design bug me and a few other people, esp with the hooked nose, Krampwell and Scroogewell skins.

otherwise, i'm pretty much happy w/ the game. a lot of the time i use mods because the modding community provides that content itch that i wouldn't be able to get otherwise, and i'm really happy that the game is moddable in the first place. the updates seem to be getting more and more lore-heavy, and i can't wait to see what comes next.

Archived