Unlimited saves?

It's a series of save folders. If my crappy $200 Toshiba laptop can run DST with unlimited saves, so can my One X. PC already had unlimited saves through mod support, so making it part of the vanilla game for them and not consoles was pointless. Even without mods, you could manually back up your saves and make news ones, just flipping back and forth if you wanted. Consoles were the ones who needed unlimited saves, to patch that into the PC version and not console was just disappointing for those of us who play primarily on console, I'd rather they'd have not bothered at all. 

each save file is a quarter gig of memory. your console may indeed explode if you have too many of them. regardless of people's opinions of pcs there is at least the understanding that some of them can handle +10 gigs of save files(my old one could not as it was a potato and everyone knows potatoes cap at 8 though you must remove the os first).

4 hours ago, gaymime said:

each save file is a quarter gig of memory. your console may indeed explode if you have too many of them. regardless of people's opinions of pcs there is at least the understanding that some of them can handle +10 gigs of save files(my old one could not as it was a potato and everyone knows potatoes cap at 8 though you must remove the os first).

it's fine if that's the case and understandable, but should be stated by the devs if they're not planning to add it, cause console players obviously got hyped up about it after being added on pc.

10 hours ago, BeeClops said:

it's fine if that's the case and understandable, but should be stated by the devs if they're not planning to add it, cause console players obviously got hyped up about it after being added on pc.

Nah not me I knew that was something that I shouldn’t realistically expect on my Xbox, and being honest I’m not even sure if the PS5/Xbox Series X would even be capable of it.

11 minutes ago, gaymime said:

i opened the folder that contains the clusters. they are not actually kept in the same place as the game itself

Yeah, that's the folder I'm talking about, the Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether that also contains the Cluster_n folders. I have nine clusters atm, each being 15-35MB big, and the whole DoNotStarveTogether folder is less than 250MB.

How do your clusters take up so much more space? (btw, to make things clear, with "quarter gig memory" you meant the size of ~256MB, right?)

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

Yeah, that's the folder I'm talking about, the Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether that also contains the Cluster_n folders. I have nine clusters atm, each being 15-35MB big, and the whole DoNotStarveTogether folder is less than 250MB.

How do your clusters take up so much more space? (btw, to make things clear, with "quarter gig memory" you meant the size of ~256MB, right?)

um, i am not sure? and yeah, +200mb files.

though i did check back and actually not all of them are that big, my smallest one is only 40mb(granted it is a "small" world less than a hundred days with hardly anything on it and a mostly empty caves but still)

I think 5 save slots is plenty, but if they wanted to increase it to 8-10 I certainly would not be complaining either.

Realistic expectations maybe would be 10 save slots, Unrealistic Expectations is to expect console players to ever have Unlimited Save Slots.

Even if by some miracle we were able to get that feature, our saves would be limited by the sheer amount of total storage space our consoles can hold.

And I shouldn’t have to remind anyone who plays on consoles of this important detail because they should know it by heart: But nontheless, Your game saves are stored directly onto your consoles hard drive itself.. you can’t move game save data to an External HD device (at least on Xbox One you can’t..)

So your Unlimited Saves your asking for would still have a pretty Hard limit..

Also- If your console becomes bogged down by just DST saves.. you won’t be able to save your other non-DST game progress, or install updates when games need them And in some cases... your games will cease to work completely until it has the space it needs for updates and save data.

Klei should simply tell console players that it is and will remain to be a PC exclusive feature (I’m honestly not sure if the new PS5 or Series X would be capable of such a task..)

Literally the ONLY WAY I could ever see it happening for console players is if your save data was uploaded through Klei’s online servers and ran & operated through Klei’s online services, rather then from your Consoles internal Harddrive.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:52 PM, Percolator12 said:

I was wondering about the last update, pc players got unlimited saves. Seems like console players got left out of that one, is this something we can look forward to in the future? 

I surely hope so! I'm always starting new worlds when I make new friends on DST so it would really help if they at least added 5 - 10 more slots.

Archived