New update caused all mods in worlds to be disabled. (Resolved)

22 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

is the risk of using mods. Let the modders update their mods

Theres a difference between outdated mods crashing a server(easilly resolved by just waiting for mods to update) and the literal new save system just wiping all enabled mods.

Talking to @zarklord_klei about this, apparently the whole "having all your mods disabled across all saves" thing wasn't intentional. So I think the new save system got a little rushed and this is the result of that.

21 minutes ago, bigGMIW said:

could you not just re-enable them?

Depends on how many mods were enabled in said world, technically yes but in the case of some worlds one might not remember every mod that was enabled.

I do find it kinda silly that the new save system can't remember something as simple as a check box having been clicked on a save though. :s

Aaaand, guess what?  Apparently I CAN'T remember properly which mods I was using on my main world, 'cos it won't load anymore!

I thought I had all of them, but apparently I messed something up.  Tried again, still "Dedicated server failed to start".  The server is almost a real-life year old (missed it by THREE DAYS!) and is the one where my pig village, ruins and museum are.  (And the road trees, and the camp surrounded by marble trees that make "soothing" noises as they grow and shrink in the night.)  The world where I still I had my Year of the Carrat shrine and where I made a sign commemorating DST's 4th birthday.

All I can say is, I'm glad I at least took all those pictures...

All my other saves are fine!  It's just that one.  Wendy and Walani's worlds loaded fine, so that means I at least get to keep my Japanese sand garden and Viking war camp.  (All of these are from that builders' thread we had a while back.)  But my MAIN world...nope, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.  Mind you, some of the worlds that still load fine actually have _more_ mods on them than that one.

...Notorious

So if I've loaded my host game category and saw the 0 mods listed for a couple worlds, and then backed out without tinkering. I hope that info isn't lost and the fix restores the previous settings as some of my worlds have 30+ mods that I determined and set so long ago I'm not sure I'd be able to remember them... *gulp*

This is something I noticed in beta but I thought it was intentional, so it didn't even cross my mind to report it. Sorry about that, devs.

On 10/22/2020 at 5:28 PM, Terra B Welch said:

Depends on how many mods were enabled in said world, technically yes but in the case of some worlds one might not remember every mod that was enabled.

... How many server mods are you guys using?!

And just as importantly, what kinds of mods are you guys using that can destroy the save by disabling it?

I thought loading a save that had GEM Core on it turned off was a risky move, but it turned out completely okay.That and the Global Pause that needed it were the only server mods I had.

47 minutes ago, AlternateMew said:

This is something I noticed in beta but I thought it was intentional, so it didn't even cross my mind to report it. Sorry about that, devs.

... How many server mods are you guys using?!

And just as importantly, what kinds of mods are you guys using that can destroy the save by disabling it?

I thought loading a save that had GEM Core on it turned off was a risky move, but it turned out completely okay.That and the Global Pause that needed it were the only server mods I had.

My IA world has 17 loaded technically, but most of them are tiny addittions like some slot machine drops added or some other small things.

But the recent hotfixes have fixed this issue, using the command provided in the changelog I was able to renew the mod lists in my modded worlds(thanks zark!)

I guess since theres a hotfix for this issue now, this thread can be closed.

Several in my case, but here's the thing:  I have other worlds with the same mods on them AND MORE, that still work!

If there was a mod I don't usually use on my favourite save, I don't think so...but if there _was_, I wouldn't remember since the last time I enabled mods on that save was _almost a year ago_.  I don't have them all memorised, nor did I think I'd have to.

It made it through another beta and a LOT of updates but...for some reason not this one.  :(

...Notorious

Just now, CaptainChaotica said:

Several in my case, but here's the thing:  I have other worlds with the same mods on them AND MORE, that still work!

If there was a mod I don't usually use on my favourite save, I don't think so...but if there _was_, I wouldn't remember since the last time I enabled mods on that save was _almost a year ago_.  I don't have them all memorised, nor did I think I'd have to.

It made it through another beta and a LOT of updates but...for some reason not this one.  :(

...Notorious

Did you try the new console command on that world or is to too late?

Dumb question: How and where do I enter the command that the announcement said to enter?  I've never done that kind of thing in this game before.  The...lemme go find it:

Fixed all worlds that had caves enabled having all mods disabled.
If you experience this problem, you can run the command ShardSaveGameIndex:RerunSlotConversion(slot) replacing the word slot with the slot number of that world

Although, since I already tried to reenable the mods on the messed-up world and restart it myself BEFORE the hotfix came out, it's probably too late.  However, this was the fourth world down after I'd _successfully_ reenabled, restarted and retrofitted three others! so you can see why I'd think it would work...

If that command works in general, however, MAYBE I can use it to save this from happening in the future, at least.  Too bad I lost not one but TWO long-running worlds I was really attached to in my DST career (the other was back in 2017), but maybe it doesn't have to happen a third time.

...Notorious

16 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

If that command works in general, however, MAYBE I can use it to save this from happening in the future, at least.  Too bad I lost not one but TWO long-running worlds I was really attached to in my DST career (the other was back in 2017), but maybe it doesn't have to happen a third time.

I'm going to give you a better foolproofing for the future: Copy your saves to a second folder before updating. If something goes wrong, you'll have the backup in the second folder that you can copy as many times as you need.

This will be even easier going forward, since the save files are also MUCH easier to manage now.

19 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

How and where do I enter the command that the announcement said to enter?

Use the ~ key to bring up the command console. Right below the Esc key on the upper left. And from personal experience: don't copy-paste the command. Type it manually. It is case-sensitive.

So for example: Press ~, then type ShardSaveGameIndex:RerunSlotConversion(1)

There's a sort function now, so I don't know if by slot they mean the number of the folder or the number in the list. Try both, I guess. So for my main world, I would have either needed to type ShardSaveGameIndex:RerunSlotConversion(1) || or || ShardSaveGameIndex:RerunSlotConversion(3), with the first one being where it is in my sort order, and the latter being because the save folder is Cluster_3

Actually, I did try that beforehand with the other one that had problems (Good ol' Camp One-Foot-In-the-Grave!)  In that case it was unsalvageable because a (cosmetic) mod I was using had gone incompatible.  Had a dev look at it and everything, nada.

Well, I tried the instructions here, using the cluster number instead of the sort one AND...

THANKGODDESS.thumb.png.25d9754147e572afb67f56279a284cbd.png

IT WORKED!  HALLE-FREAKIN'-LUJAH!  I almost couldn't believe it.  I went to "Resume world" and I was like "I'm not gonna look, I'm not gonna look, I'm not gonna look..."  until suddenly I heard _the Spring music_!

Oh, and in case you're wondering, "Why Chaotica--it's Halloween season!  How dost thou have thine Winter's Feast tree up already?" it ain't up _already_.  It's up STILL . That's the one from 2019!

Yep. That's how old this server is.  Turns a full year old tomorrow!

....AND then I immediately got attacked by hounds, and my own bee.  : P

...Notorious

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Actually, I did try that beforehand with the other one that had problems (Good ol' Camp One-Foot-In-the-Grave!)  In that case it was unsalvageable because a (cosmetic) mod I was using had gone incompatible.  Had a dev look at it and everything, nada.

Well, I tried the instructions here, using the cluster number instead of the sort one AND...

THANKGODDESS.thumb.png.25d9754147e572afb67f56279a284cbd.png

IT WORKED!  HALLE-FREAKIN'-LUJAH!  I almost couldn't believe it.  I went to "Resume world" and I was like "I'm not gonna look, I'm not gonna look, I'm not gonna look..."  until suddenly I heard _the Spring music_!

Oh, and in case you're wondering, "Why Chaotica--it's Halloween season!  How dost thou have thine Winter's Feast tree up already?" it ain't up _already_.  It's up STILL . That's the one from 2019!

Yep. That's how old this server is.  Turns a full year old tomorrow!

....AND then I immediately got attacked by hounds, and my own bee.  : P

...Notorious

Great! I also made sure to test my old feast and famine friends only world and it works fine with the new update too! (I posted in screenshot showcase so just look there if you care at all)

Archived