TIL about arbor trees

2 hours ago, Yunru said:

Update: Not strictly visual, the tree can still branch out into unoccupied spots from there. 

I think it is just visual. The trunk of an arbor tree is only 2 tiles high, even though the sprite hangs over into that third tile.

The low ceiling is blocking the top 3 of the 7 possible branch locations. That's not unusual. Pips will happily plant trees in places with obstructed branches, though I don't think farm tiles will let you.

31 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

I think it is just visual. The trunk of an arbor tree is only 2 tiles high, even though the sprite hangs over into that third tile.

The low ceiling is blocking the top 3 of the 7 possible branch locations. That's not unusual. Pips will happily plant trees in places with obstructed branches, though I don't think farm tiles will let you.

Can't be just visual: I deconstructed the top left tile and a branch immediately started growing there. 

3 hours ago, Yunru said:

Can't be just visual: I deconstructed the top left tile and a branch immediately started growing there. 

I guess it depends on how you interpret at things.  My point was that the top tile of an arbor tree doesn't act any differently than any of the other branch locations.

Arbor_Tree_Numbered.png.5de97b037da615346c2371b6a46056cf.png

An arbor tree can occupy up to 7 of these 9 locations.  8 and 9 are the actual plant / tree trunk which will always be there and must be empty for the tree to be planted.  The remaining tiles can be blocked and tree will still grow just fine.  It just can't grow a branch in any blocked tiles. 

The only thing that is special about 4 is that the tree trunk graphic overlaps it, even though it doesn't exist in that location.  That's makes this purely visual to me.

Branch locations 3 and 5 don't depend on 4 being free any more than 1 depends on 2 being free.

4 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

An arbor tree can occupy up to 7 of these 9 locations.

And I was mad that my tree won't grow all 9 parts... thanks! I assume that if I block 2 of those 9, I can be 100% sure that all other 7 will grow?

12 hours ago, pether said:

And I was mad that my tree won't grow all 9 parts... thanks! I assume that if I block 2 of those 9, I can be 100% sure that all other 7 will grow?

Nope. A tree has 5 branches. Those are 7 possible locations for those branches. The denser pattern you can have is described here:

https://www.naguide.com/oxygen-not-included-arbor-trees/.

You have to place ladders strategically to block the external tree from growing branches inside and forcing them to occupy all the external slots. Once branches start growing, you free the internal slots so that the internal tree can grow its own branches.

That's what I was referring to as the 5:7 layout here:

If you have a 7x3 room (21 tiles) you can grow 15 branches in it, hence 15:21 = 5:7. You can't do any better because the rest is occupied by the trunks, and there's no empty tile.

Archived