Spooooky Question

So, I got a dumb question.  I'm looking to start a new world with a Halloweeny atmosphere.  But I'm not looking for just like, "put more monsters around" so it's more tense and you're constantly under possible attack.  (I guess that'd work for a zombie or slasher movie feel...)  Nonono, I mean, like, a _gothic_ kind of a feel.  The Black Forest of the Grimm's fairy tales.  Creepy ruins.  Darker atmosphere.

So, does anybody know of any good mods that would, I dunno...make trees creepier looking?  Change the colour palette to be darker but not an actual lights-out world?  (I tried that, and absolutely nothing happened at all. Then I started a new world for no reason.)  Maybe put, I dunno, ruined Victorian houses from the Gorge scattered around?  There ARE Gorge Objects mods, but that's for _you_ to build them.  I kinda want a world that already has them around.  Maybe even...ominous music?

I'm already aware of the different HUD mods and am currently using the Roseate one (creepy, but pretty/ornate) and that the actual Hallowed Nights event is gonna hit later in the month.  What I'm looking for here is more...mood, but not more actual danger.  (I tried a mod that puts cave stuff on the surface but after running into splumonkeys on Day 1 I was like "NOPE!") 

I'd also take suggestions for world presets I can do _without_ mods.  Any good suggestions you guys can think of would be much appreciated.  :)
(and if anyone else likes this idea and wants to make a similar world, you can follow them too.)

...Notorious

I had thought I'd seen a haunted forest mod in the past but I can't find it.

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I'd also take suggestions for world presets I can do _without_ mods.

The scariest world gen setting is setting Depths Worms to "lots".

Well I have to admit there's not that much mods about event themes out there, like Hallowed Nights or even Winter's Feast...

It's something modders should maybe try to look into, not just mod about events, but standard mods that have special features during events.
I'd like to do my part on the topic but unfortunately it's been two years since I tried to add seasonal skins on Cherrylings but you know... my own artistic limits ^^

Spoiler

6b5.jpg.15b6478e035143a3a94321db71bcf1af.jpg Ugly edition of the Spookyling by myself. :distant:
Obviously not going to add this on Cherry Forest yet, but I'm guessing we can have a chance to completely remake something good before the event this year if Claire (mod artist <3) would like to work on something more than the 1.6 update.

(btw we have some actual nice festive re-skins for Winter's Feasts so those should be guaranteed to be there this year)

Ohmygod, the...pumpkinling is just precious.  : P  It looks so sad.  Probably because its wings have to lug something the size of a pumpkin around. 

These are some great suggestions!  I especially like the Halloween re-skin.  Oh, mydude, I WANT THOSE PIG HOUSES.  I mean I want them year round, Hallowed Nights atmosphere in the rest of the place, or not.  They are _badass_ lookin'!  (And the sadface rocks are weirdly hilarious, although those I wouldn't want year round.  I'd get SO many questions.  I already spook people out with the Stagehand on purpose all the time anyway...)

I'm already planning to put Gorge-style lanterns on either side of the postern (which will make things EASIER for newcomers, but are mainly there for the fancy-spooky atmosphere) and I'm'a look into that furniture mod I already have/use and see if there's also stuff there that would work.   Basically I guess I'm going for the gothy Tim Burtony/Edward Gorey vibe DS(T) has always had, plus a bit more on the elegantly crumbling haunted mansion overrun with thorny vines kinda side.  (we know who would've put those vines there...)
Like this:

chateau_of_dark_moon_by_chaoyuanxu.thumb.png.8b16b83ef197be03e101b4f686cd8cc5.png

(isn't that GORGEOUS?!  Not my own artwork, obviously)  That kinda atmosphere, but Don't Starvey.

I like to name my worlds after what the season is* (if I can't think of anything else), and it just occurred to me that if I'm gonna name it something like "Nightmare Harvest Moon"**, the world should LOOK the part.  Heh.

...Notorious

"Springing in the Rain", "Summertime Blues", "Starving in a Winter Wonderland"...yeah I'm awful.  lel.
**Formerly "H.P. Lovecraft's 'Harvest Moon'", but I figured that was too clunky.

Archived