Welcome to the Mirage

ZTheNecromancer

11 hours ago, minespatch said:

I'm sorry I'll be only focusing on your latest post but you put a lot of time and effort and I want to catch up with your work.

I appreciate you reposting the summary of your world, it'll help me catch up with your vision.

The backgrounds are wonderful! I bet you look up color palette sites for idea on how to make everything complementary.

Thanks! I actually don't do that, I just kinda mess with the colors until it looks right. 

image.png.33920d708822eff70f7d01af34ec227f.png

784750337_Yarningactaullymeanssomethingcompletelydifferent.thumb.png.50019f98b183f1d4f6496a8cfd62cf56.png

(Sorry for the low quality) Those little Yarnballs at the bottom are something I named "Yarnings", I didn't actually know Yarning meant something completely different but I couldn't think of anything else. I don't regret naming groups of them quilts however, I thought it was great.

Said to be based off of something called The Mannanagal, the Yarnings are one of the many things in the ambiguous and equivocal world that is The Mirage. Coming in many different colors and being able to merge with other Yarnings, this creature/fae is quite disgusting when you learn what they do.

Yarnings are carnivores, and are somewhat vampiric. However they don’t feed off blood, rather internal organs and unborn children. (Including eggs). They do this by using their shadowy sewing needle hands to put prey to sleep, at which point they consume internal organs. Including but not limited to: Lungs, livers, brains, intestines and so on. They don’t get parasites due to hardy stomachs and no being made of anything organic. The deep wounds and holes are then stitched up decently as possible and left to rot when the Yarning(s) is/are done. They can go weeks without a meal and have shriveled but nonetheless effective eyes for its nocturnal/diurnal activities. (Unrelated but Yarnings have been rumored in folklore to sow the mouths of naughty children or criminals shut with yarn that cannot be taken out by normal means.)

Usually, they think individually. However Yarnings can tie each other together, the more Yarnings that build up the more and more it becomes a hive mind. With those at the top in charge. They’re called “Quilts”, each quilt can have a varied activity schedule (E.x it can be diurnal if it wants to). And have a “Official Quilt” Color, like one may be teal while another can be orange.  

Despite all this, Yarnings can actually be tamed but no more than one at a time. They can be trained to not eat still-living creatures and can even do tricks. Keep Yarnings away from each other if possible, in the pet world they’re kinda like keeping a venomous snake. Adding on top of all this Yarnings can be farmed for the excess yarn they produce, and their eyes are often used as a cheap alternative to Waarheids (Discs that allow blind things to see) in Necromancy. Yes, they’re used as eyes. It’s far cheaper ‘cause the extermination efforts from various towns makes them pretty cheap. Nowadays, Yarnings are only found in deep, dark parts of forests and caves.

1400456898_PyraustaBloomssmelllikecherryscentserranos.thumb.png.406559fac1eeb75e41cc37a32ee2351a.png

I forgot to post this 'cause I'm working on a bunch of stuff

Introducing the Pyrausta Blooms, I'm doing something more light-hearted after this because this is pretty dark.

Despite appearing beautiful, Pyrausta Blooms are a parasitic plant that uses a variety of chemical cocktails to target only one species...Pyraustas. Y’know what makes it even worse? The steams are leaves are made of Fly flesh and exoskeleton, only the flower is actual plant material.

It all begins with the glowing-red bud of a Pyrausta Bloom, it smells like cherries and Serrano peppers. A smell that attracts mainly Pyrausta Flies, when a Fly lands and drinks the nectar. Tiny seeds are eaten with it, there they hang around for a while not being digested. After a bit, particularly after its very very tough shell is eaten away by stomach acids. The seed dispels another cocktail to hijack the Pyrausta’s mind, from which it’s forced to find a place with perfect growing conditions. After it finally lands, the seed dispels yet another Toxin that puts the fly into a coma. With one final dash of chemical mixture the body is forced to build a massive meat stalk complete with an exoskeleton. From where the seed sits at the top. After all this suffering the Pyrausta finally dies and the plant grows a massive flower and roots running along the hollow-fly-flesh tube and into the ground. Also they always seem to be pretty warm, kinda toasty. Not too bad if you ignore the stems and leaves.

This body-horror flower typically lives about 3 years and gets around 4-5 feet tall, with the actual flower ranging from a baseball to a basketball in size. With all this is mind it seems like those who live in The Mirage would be actively trying to exterminate this plant. However, in reality no one cares. For one, Pyraustas are hella annoying and are attracted to warm things like fire. Their tails are, for the lack of a better word. Matchsticks. Watching a Pyrausta get parasites is akin to watching a wasp get eaten by a carnivorous plant, absolute satisfaction.

Although if you still need to get rid of one or pick it, a meat cleaver should do the trick. Don’t use fire or water, Pyrausta Blooms inherit the same fire immunity that it’s hosts have. And if you think water will solve anything it just soaks it up like any other plant. Cleave the stalk.

Alright, time for some character concept art.

Spoiler

2067896753_DanBconceptart.thumb.png.ae90d9ccce53f477f0cf01ff8749fa75.png

Dan is meant to be a bit incoherent and insane, muttering something about a bird finding another pair of wings more often than not. We're not sure what happened to him, one day he just came home hunched over and whispering creepily to himself. The next time he came outta his room, he looked like this. Don't mind the tiny fire doodle I just felt like drawing a tiny fire.

Spoiler

unknown.png

This is Dutch, Dan's (Not insane) sidekick. Has the Eye of Horus on his gloves, yet denies the probability of Mythology and superstition being true himself. Proclaiming "I'm a man of cold, hard facts. Not illogical symbols and stories." Yet pretty much everyone knows that he does enjoy superstition and whatnot in secret. Yet he still continues to deny this.

Spoiler

723446871_Pianeeseconceptart.thumb.png.b6bd39e79002249e93c2c4bf3e1c615e.png

Here's a kid I'm pretty happy with, Pianeese Dulcimer was a kid born deaf to a family of musicians in France. Upon finding out she was deaf the took her to the orphanage in secret, claiming that she didn't make it. Don't worry, she was adopted by a accountant with experience in French and American sign language. The whole abandoning her was found out pretty quickly and became a big scandal with the family falling from grace in a satisfying way, not even before she was a toddler they moved to America. After some more moving around the place she ended up in Tumbleweed, where one day she found a pair of funny lookin' earmuffs. We don't know where as she refuses to tell, but these days she spends time near the library.

I'll need to change the color of Pianeese's shorts, I just realized they're the same as Dutch's.

12 hours ago, minespatch said:

Looks like a fun guy. Are you going to do some mini comics of these characters?

I have one in mind for Dutch having a small interaction with his Dad (Who's a food truck owner), I'll get around to it...eventually.

12 hours ago, minespatch said:

The earmuffs look like they could be bought in a 5 and below but I'm guessing they're a mystical backstory?

Oh god you're right they do look like something from that place, I didn't think about that. 

As for the second question, you're partially right. She just found them but isn't aware of what they're supposed to do. I haven't worked out all the details yet. 

The big forest piece has been taking a bit, I keep procrastinating. Aside from that I'm not sure what to focus on, characters? Background design? More worldbuilding? Races? Writing? I dunno, but have these

1709794342_beansontoast.thumb.png.cbc89bd77c33a47c2d16125cdb26d20c.png

This is just a snippet from a larger canvas I was doodling on so I went ahead and did this. I promise I'll stop changing her design so much, I swear!

41564874_plushieconceptartwip.thumb.png.e994d150b83cdb7d6e5abad804fbb551.png

1 out of two concepts pages for a race called plushies, I would make a joke about how every race creators make up almost always has at least one of these (A: Wings B: Pumpkin heads C: Two pairs of arms/legs D: a sentient version of a real life animal or E: A human but with one thing that's different about them), but I've already said it three times in other places

1687823155_jiniearlyabominations.thumb.png.56b88a9f58bd05aad4b75851f10be17e.png

While back I had an idea for a land where the Wielder of Necromancy dumps the stuff she creates, these are all very rough and very unfinished. And I don't feel like refining them rn.

tailypoconcept.thumb.png.22c9d561a2f3f8bff73ed92c97b8007b.png

These are concepts of a Tailypo for a friend, except I don't know how to draw paws.

BTw I'm gonna redo Pianeese's design a bit, it keeps bothering me

218540601_bluecapturtorial1outof2.thumb.png.c84637440527019a2e03992df9660799.png

491019677_bluecapturtorial2outof2.thumb.png.9d65012010c9077155cdc4a649fcb0a1.png

A tutorial for Bluecaps! These are one of my favorite things to draw because it's just 3 blobs and an action line.

1197092034_dutchthenotdutchperson.thumb.png.7805fc7658cd5a5dd244ac6539ed14b3.png

Here's Dan's sidekick, Dutch. But in costume! And with a few other tweaks, here's the bio

Dutch Bunker is the son of Bob Bunker, the food truck owner who somehow pulls burritos out of nowhere. However, in Tumbleweed. He’s better known for co-founding the RP group, along with being the sidekick/buddy of the Rp groups deranged founder, Dan. Age: 12, 5’2”, Gender: Male.

Dutch is known to be down to earth, albeit a bit cynical. Stern, judgmental, but not short on forgiveness. You’d think he’d be off in an academy by now, Dutch wishes he would. Instead he’s stuck with some teen rambling incoherently. Something about a bird and a thing named Tez-something, and how they’re gonna make sure the world(s) turn into smoke, obsidian, and mirrors. It’s vague, but that’s the most Dutch has managed to piece together.

Despite the sweater, the funny gloves and the hat. Dutch firmly believes in the sciences, denying magic and most religions in a heartbeat. Except everyone knows he’s lying, since he’s got a bunch of fantasy thingamajigs scattered about his room. “It’s just a costume”, he says. When we ask him about the eyes, he just says they’re regular eyes. Yeah, sure they’re just regular eyes.

DAN + IRIS (Excited)

Say the line!!

DUTCH (Firm)

No.

IRIS (Bubbly)

SAY IT!

(DUTCH sighs)

DUTCH (Sarcastic unenthusiasm)

I am Gandalf

…and Gandalf means…

…Me.

Archived