Why is Factorio a sandbox without flaws?

I understand you have problems with the game, but you are trying to put systems into this game which don't fundamentally don't work in it. After like 7-8 years of development (including both DS and DST), I think it is clear that this game does not have a real objective nor does it want to force players to have one. In that time, the devs could have added any number of RPG-like elements like quests to it, but they never did. You play, you die, you play you eat, etc. The game is whatever you want it to be. Some people like speedruns and challenges. Don Giani, Joeschmo(pls come back we love you), Helicalpuma, and many more, all have incredible challenges that you are free to do. Others like me, even after 2500+ hours just want to make a base, chill, and kill bosses when I feel like it.

Make your world what you want it to be. I'll make mine how I want it to be. You have to get over the fact that the game has no purpose for you. Come up with your own.

That kind of freedom is why I love this game. :love_heart:

8 hours ago, TimothyCarter said:

I understand you have problems with the game, but you are trying to put systems into this game which don't fundamentally don't work in it. After like 7-8 years of development (including both DS and DST), I think it is clear that this game does not have a real objective nor does it want to force players to have one. In that time, the devs could have added any number of RPG-like elements like quests to it, but they never did. You play, you die, you play you eat, etc. The game is whatever you want it to be. Some people like speedruns and challenges. Don Giani, Joeschmo(pls come back we love you), Helicalpuma, and many more, all have incredible challenges that you are free to do. Others like me, even after 2500+ hours just want to make a base, chill, and kill bosses when I feel like it.

Make your world what you want it to be. I'll make mine how I want it to be. You have to get over the fact that the game has no purpose for you. Come up with your own.

That kind of freedom is why I love this game. :love_heart:

This can change- Pearl and Pearls quests are an example of how this can change..

now the thing is: you don’t actually have to ever engage with Pearl if you don’t want to (it remains to be seen if Pearls Pearl actually does anything unique for the Return of Them Tribute thing or not..)

So even THAT could be changed, but the thing is- as you said DS is a franchise that’s nearly grown 10 years old, in 2023 DS which launched in 2013 will hit its 10yr anniversary 

LOTS of things change over a 10 year period.. just look at resident evil and how it couldn’t make up its mind WHAT Genre it wanted to be.

I wouldn’t mind more quests, more things I can do that give me an objective, a purpose, a beginning and an End..

And I 100% fully expect Return of Them to “Eventually” have an End. And HOPEFULLY that end will involve saving Charlie from Them and unlocking her as playable.

But just because we reach the end of Return of Them, doesn’t necessarily mean that we reach the end of DST.. we only close the chapter on Charlie being Queen of the Throne, I’m sure Klei has plans for content after RoT wraps up.. 

I look at Return of Them as being the foundation of every future content update to the game: We have a sailable ocean and boats now.... let’s put them to use with each big update chain- to new locations, new biomes etc..

But as far as STORY Content (DS Single Players 5 Chapter Adventures Mode) I want to see the Return of Them to conclude with rescuing Charlie from “Them” and unlocking her as playable- However Charlie can never be 100% fully human ever again.. and that shadow magic will still linger inside.. but at least NOW she has control over it “like Maxwell and his puppets from the Codex” rather than She being controlled BY it.

I would love to see a DST “Adventures Mode” Adventures mode was my favorite part of DS Single Player- because trying to quest through randomly generated worlds with unique stipulations applied to them was FUN and it gave players a goal to try and progress to.

Thing is- once you “Beat” adventures mode you either play it again for the hell of it, or you go back to your open sandbox survival with no real goals or objectives beyond “Don’t Starve”

I once played a mod where it had some kind of factory thing where it will duplicate items for you. DST became get one of each basic resource and suddenly we had everything after afking for a while.

I think DS/DST is a game about taking risk when leaving base for resources. If automation was available, we would barely leave base for resources and just wait at base because it's easier letting automation do it.

Archived