How hard would it be if there was RPG fighting?

4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

dstff.png.89a9972d6b6b798f02758bd1cd6d2113.png

COULD NOT.  RESIST.  XD
(yes, they all have ridiculously low HP, but that's what you get when you boot up a brand new game of FF (1) and take a screenshot of baby newb characters.  : P)

Reveal hidden contents

The background is from an actual 16-bit RPG project an online friend of mine was working on, years and years ago.  I got to do the battle backgrounds and title screen!  Still have the old files on my computer (somehow).  Don't know if it ever got made, but if it did, I guess I contributed art to a video game.

Anyway to seriously answer the question...I guess I would suck a lot less at it, is how it would be if combat in Don't Starve was RPG style--at least, the kind I interpreted the question as, which is "oldschool turn-based Final Fantasy-esque".  I wouldn't have to be Good At Video Games, that is to say, fast and reflexy, to do combat!  I could make a sandwich in between turns or go to the bathroom if necessary, and still not die to the stupid hounds!  It'd be awesome.  

....but it wouldn't fit the game AT ALL.  : P

...Notorious

lol This is great. Reimagining Don't Starve as an old JRPG is making me laugh more than it should. 

*Spawns from portal*

Takes 5 steps, !!!, random battle encounter. Finish battle. Takes three more steps. Picks grass. Takes two more, !!!, random battle encounter. Repeat forever....

Turns out you can cheese Ancient Fuelweaver with a Phoenix Down since it's Undead type. 

Summon Bigfoot, go walk the dog while the animation plays...

Back in the times of Don't Starve there was a mod called "Covenant of Souls" that did exactly what you wanted, add rpg elements to DS, however it should also be mentioned that the work to make this type of mod was probably as complex as building the game from the ground up. While there is potential that it can be added to the pile of DST mods, it's not too likely.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551026577

9 minutes ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

I just wish there was something to add to the PVP to make it feel more interesting. :concern:

There is this mod that helps with that, but it is mostly limited by your own creativity. Try roleplaying a magic user that can only use staves to damage their enemies or a player that only uses water balloons and morning stars against you enemies. Go to the unconventional and you find ways to make it interesting. You can only be the one to make things interesting for yourself.

I think it would be better to add more varied weapon and armor types as well as reactive actions with cooldowns you can use when fighting, and put the characters to duel within an arena restricting their movement.  Adding turn based combat and rng to-hit dodge and damage is never as satisfying as actually moving out of the way of an attack and leading your opponent with yours catching them off guard.

19 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I think it would be better to add more varied weapon and armor types as well as reactive actions with cooldowns you can use when fighting, and put the characters to duel within an arena restricting their movement.  Adding turn based combat and rng to-hit dodge and damage is never as satisfying as actually moving out of the way of an attack and leading your opponent with yours catching them off guard.

Is there a DST mod that can do this?

Archived