Merging Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together?

I don’t think my DST skins on my Xbox are connected to a Steam Account, so I don’t think I would have Access to them in Solo DS- I also don’t think Solo DS was ever graphically designed to support them.

That is a HUGE thing people want when in actuality.. it would just be easier to add some of the content people enjoy from solo DS into DST and call it a day.

Now the When’s and If that will ever happen is entirely up to Klei.. But what I do know for absolute fact is that simply allowing people to use their DS skins in DST isn’t going to be as easy as you guys make it sound.

36 minutes ago, Knowbodie said:

*The 55th snip of the century*

Ok

I can see where you're coming from. But in previous post(s) you've worded it as if Klei should do it right here and now.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:15 PM, Knowbodie said:

(the "Together" really annoys me)

How does the "Together" part annoy you?

Then you go on to say that it should be all one game, which would be a huge chug for computers (Which is like trying to shove a basketball down a chihuahua's throat.) THEN you say it should be a DLC which I don't think it makes it one game rather an extension. Some mechanics would really mess with other mechanics that could be used to completely break or exploit the game in some way. Which would require MORE reworks so you're essentially removing pre-existing features so it could co-exist with other stuff. Which is, y'know technically scrapping things that people have come to love and hate. Lore would have to be tied up as well since by doing that you're also porting adventure mode unless Klei comes up with a way around it.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:59 PM, Knowbodie said:

(such as mod compatibility, I've only made mods for DST instead of DS)

(Correct me if I'm wrong,) But ain't DS mod compatibility more open the DST's?

By doing this you're also porting over every character that isn't in DST, which would require a TON of reworks and some wouldn't fit some of DST's mechanics very well. Think of all the bugs that would come out of this as well...

Look, it's just not worth it. Klei's done with it through and through and y'all and still trying to put suggestions for DST's content to go into DS. (like trying to wring out a washcloth that's already been squeezed a million times already).

Just stop, it's done are there ain't nothing you can really do 'bout it. If it's finished it's finished whether you like it or not because life ain't fair and you're just going to have to deal with it.

32 minutes ago, Knowbodie said:

I've also heard from a couple of people that they would like an update to allow earning skins and using them in solo Don't Starve, without forcing a merge. I believe that this could be a possibility on its own, and potentially the most reasonable one in Klei's current state, since Klei keeps your inventory data and shares it with Steam to create a synced pool of information.

This. I don't really want a merge, but only skins and updated textures from DST to DS
Because...
image.png.5b05e1e8e327f50339631361a9bf9aimage.png.7c2316d6205604c770e9e0fa761c37

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t think my DST skins on my Xbox are connected to a Steam Account, so I don’t think I would have Access to them in Solo DS- I also don’t think Solo DS was ever graphically designed to support them.

It's not about having a Steam account, since Klei has their own inventory tracking system, and you can get a general idea of what it does on the Klei rewards inventory history page (they also mentioned this on a thread somewhere I read, but I forgot where it was). It's just that Klei makes sure that the two are synced, so in reality, Klei has the inventory information linked to your account, not Steam (not sure if you could transfer between platforms though).

It's probably my fault that I'm not really writing this aimed towards all platforms though, I'm just more used to playing on PC so I make assumptions that aren't true :(

4 minutes ago, zee_dragon said:

Then you go on to say that it should be all one game, which would be a huge chug for computers (Which is like trying to shove a basketball down a chihuahua's throat.) THEN you say it should be a DLC which I don't think it makes it one game rather an extension. Some mechanics would really mess with other mechanics that could be used to completely break or exploit the game in some way. Which would require MORE reworks so you're essentially removing pre-existing features so it could co-exist with other stuff. Which is, y'know technically scrapping things that people have come to love and hate. Lore would have to be tied up as well since by doing that you're also porting adventure mode unless Klei comes up with a way around it.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:59 PM, Knowbodie said:

(such as mod compatibility, I've only made mods for DST instead of DS)

(Correct me if I'm wrong,) But ain't DS mod compatibility more open the DST's?

By doing this you're also porting over every character that isn't in DST, which would require a TON of reworks and some wouldn't fit some of DST's mechanics very well. Think of all the bugs that would come out of this as well...

Look, it's just not worth it. Klei's done with it through and through and y'all and still trying to put suggestions for DST's content to go into DS. (like trying to wring out a washcloth that's already been squeezed a million times already).

Alright, if you don't want it as a DLC, then perhaps as an official mod, similar to Klei's The Screecher mod. Either way, it's still about finding a workaround rather than forcing everyone to have it added, and the point is that I'm listening to your opinions to help find a solution, rather than waiting to be turned away or giving up. Even then, it's not the same as downloading a large file as you or others may think, because DST was originally built on an older version of DS. This allows you to build off the currently existing files rather than downloading new ones. You can see this in how prefabs such as the teleportato items are left in the game files to this day. Thus, adventure mode and world generation can be kept as is from the original, because these features either are still kept or were removed later down the line.

Adventure mode was a solo feature, so by keeping it to a "solo mode" would keep to the lore. We're not having a multiplayer addition of adventure mode and like I explained earlier, I originally wanted to keep the DLC's as solo, but said against it later because I was trying to listen to everyone's feedback so that their voices can be heard. I would like for you to do the same as I do to everyone, sure I know the walls of text are long, but please read them before making a statement over something I've already said. Keeping SW and HAM solo allows it to stay to the lore and also prevent the unnecessary addition of content to DST such as the solo exclusive characters.

About the mods, you may have already known from what I've said that I'm not the most experienced with lua. However, I do know that console support for DST is much better than DS and is actively updated, meaning that creating and testing such mods is much easier. And in my statement, by mod compatibility I am speaking for those modders who have to create the same mod twice for the same results (take penguin0616's Insight mod for instance).

Again, I would rather have a more in depth explanation than a simple "it's not worth it" at the end of everyone's post. The goal of this thread is not to make silly arguments but to find viable and potential solutions to problems that would arise if Klei ever chooses to merge the two games (in the far future of course).

That's it for now have a nice day or night.

Archived