Merm King Improvement

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Wurt shouldn't be able to trade with pig king, but not after a tweak to the merm king 

1: Have normal merm king trades have a chance to give gold (About 10-35%, idk)

2: Have trinkets give gold

Like pig king, trading trinkets will give you varying amounts of gold, depending on what trinket it is

However, the merm king will give 1.5x the gold the pig king does for that same trinket

3: If you try to trade meat, merm king will hit you with his trident, dealing 150 damage

5 hours ago, A Random Furry said:

the merm king will give 1.5x the gold the pig king does for that same trinket

yep, agreed. Its hard to keep merm king alive and also you cant trade with pk as wurt, so you should be able to trade trinkets with merm king.

5 hours ago, A Random Furry said:

If you try to trade meat, merm king will hit you with his trident, dealing 150 damage

ehhhhhhhhhhh maybe? I guess he could also do that as an attack. It does need to have a long attack pause tho if it does that much damage

I kinda like the idea but the attack seems a bit much, maybe he could hit the ground with the trident and repell the player like the Fuelweaver do when he becomes invencible. 
I would like if merm king trades were better, mostly it's rot and kelp,sometimes trinkets, make him drop Bull kelp stalks too,these are valueable, even gnarwail horns, make them rare to drop from trades.
I made a Merm kingdom with the celestial portal and even bundled masks for taking care after I went back to webber but it's just not worth the trouble of keeping him alive, unless you are wurt and you want the stats, and even playing wurt, he dies while I'm in the caves for a bit too long.Idk, I like Wurt but the merm king could have some tweaks.

I was thinking about how short lived is merm king... Merms from craftmerm house could try to feed king when he is screaming "HUNGRY HUNGRY" from planted stuff around. Like from berry bushes and farmplots with crops, but since merms are not the most clever creatures, they can't help with withered bushes, nor with empty plots. That would give some more time Wurt when she in travels, and still would require some work from player. 

5 hours ago, Notecja said:

Merms from craftmerm house could try to feed king when he is screaming "HUNGRY HUNGRY" from planted stuff around.

yeah that sounds like a good idea. With this method one could possibly automate feeding the merm king if kelp and merm houses are placed around him. 

7 hours ago, Muzarello said:

make him drop Bull kelp stalks too,these are valueable, even gnarwail horns, make them rare to drop from trades.

Bull kelp stalks. Y E S 

Kelp stalks would be interesting. Because of such reliable ways to obtain sources of food in the game, I don't think stalks as a trade deal would be the drop that overflows the cup.

I'll acknowledge it would be a powerful resource to a team or just to wurt players. It's a straight out buff, but I don't think it's gamebreaking.

Primarily though, I want to use stalks as weapons. cat o' 3 tails is just too much of a stubborn drop. especially in worlds where cat dens are destroyed. Give us an easy to obtain weapon.

(Klei. plz. give wigfrid a whip craft in her rework or i'll throw a tantrum)

Also, I don't think a source of renewable gold would be unreasonable for wurt either. 

maybe instead of dealing 150 dmg when offered meat,  depending on the meat (regular, morsel, monster etc) since Wurt and other Merms seem to be disgusted by the even the smell of it... Maybe the Merm King hurls on you instead. To balance this out, this can only occur once a day. For example, if he is offered normal meat or raw fish (large) he'll projectile vomit onto the player and the vomit will have a sanity drain of 10 per minute for a 1/4 of the day. Due to his disgust, he will not want to trade for the rest if the day. In addition, he will also lose 75 hunger pts. And since you smell like Merm Vomit, pigs will not be able to be befriended until it wears off.

9 hours ago, emo_noodles101 said:

For example, if he is offered normal meat or raw fish (large) he'll projectile vomit onto the player and the vomit will have a sanity drain of 10 per minute for a 1/4 of the day. Due to his disgust, he will not want to trade for the rest if the day. In addition, he will also lose 75 hunger pts. And since you smell like Merm Vomit, pigs will not be able to be befriended until it wears off.

lol that sounds like an excellent idea

Archived