Vertical Wind Tunnel Usage Length

Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else but I couldn't find it.

I'm confused why the vertical wind tunnel usage length is so long. After setting it up, my duplicants will gladly use it all night long forgoing sleep and bath time, arriving into the following day exhausted. According to the wiki its a 90 second usage length. This seems impractical unless you allocate a huge chunk of time to duplicants for Downtime in their schedule. 

Is this a bug or just an odd development choice? 

Thanks

16 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Development choice. The fix is simple: Put time off after sleeping, not before. Same for all entertainments with long usage time, for example the beach-chair. 

It will not avoid you to lose a huge work time slot. The balance between time spent and moral+ is clearly really bad.

As a result, I guess nearly everyone do not use those anymore. (Except for fun when dup time isn't essential to survival anymore)

Sounds really awkward to me this design.

5 hours ago, OxCD said:

It will not avoid you to lose a huge work time slot. The balance between time spent and moral+ is clearly really bad.

As a result, I guess nearly everyone do not use those anymore. (Except for fun when dup time isn't essential to survival anymore)

Sounds really awkward to me this design.

You do not lose time. You use time for entertainment instead of for work. The only thing that needs a fix is dupes not getting their sleep cycle or running to the toilet in the middle of relaxing. Whether you find the trade for morale worthwhile or not is a choice, not a defect. 

Also, I use these all the time. The wind tunnel gives +5 and it keeps for 8 rounds. Makes just 12 sec per round for that +5. The sun-chair keeps the +8 buff up for 12 rounds, i.e. 12.5 sec per round for +8. In contrast, the shower gives you +3 for 0.9 rounds and takes 15 seconds. I guess nobody is using showers anymore because they are so bad. I certainly do not.

10 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I guess nobody is using showers anymore because they are so bad. I certainly do not.

I throw down showers mid game for extra pwater for extra reed fiber for making insulation late game. On hard stress modes it helps eliminate those pesky debuffs as well. I suppose it would be just as easy to pump pwater straight into thimble reeds for reed fiber without wasting so much dupe time. 

12 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I guess nobody is using showers anymore because they are so bad. I certainly do not.

Admittedly I don't try to play super optimally.  But I try to put the showers in a nature reserve to make them a +9 buff.  Since dupes will almost always shower if it is available it is a nice way of making sure they go through the reserve.

I don't often setup a wind tunnel until so late in the game that I don't care if the dupes spend that much time basically idle.

But, when I do try to get one up before that point, I always put a timer and a sensor on it so that it shuts itself off after a while.

1 hour ago, Soulwind said:

I don't often setup a wind tunnel until so late in the game that I don't care if the dupes spend that much time basically idle.

But, when I do try to get one up before that point, I always put a timer and a sensor on it so that it shuts itself off after a while.

Seriously, the wind-tunnel is not a time-sink. The buff is only renewed every 8 rounds.

it would be cool if instead of just a straight up "every(cycle) is this way" schedule, if you could set it like a work week with the weekend off.. maybe something where you can say "after [x] cycles change to schedule 1b (weekend mode) for [x] cycles" for this to really work, the buffs would have to last much longer (so they actually take effect when dupes work) but could also allow for some cool things like "monday blues" and "friday excitement" as they return from/look forward too, their freetime

Archived