Actual surface trigger?

Does anybody know when exactly the meteorites start dropping? The "surface breach" alert does not seem to be it.

I know one way to check fast: Go to sandbox and check whether the gravitas structure has started heating up. It spawns at something like -14C, but at least the top is in hot Regolith and heats up immediately when the surface goes active.

If you lift the "fog of war" in the surface area biomes, it triggers the meteors to start their cycle.  You don't have to actually dig IN to the surface biomes, just get close enough that the 'fog of war' starts to lift.  

For example, on my current map, I have a sub-surface ocean.  When I get close enough to start seeing the biome, the meteors start their cycles.

32 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

If you lift the "fog of war" in the surface area biomes, it triggers the meteors to start their cycle.  You don't have to actually dig IN to the surface biomes, just get close enough that the 'fog of war' starts to lift.  

For example, on my current map, I have a sub-surface ocean.  When I get close enough to start seeing the biome, the meteors start their cycles.

Well, yes and no. For example, I have some tiles surface biome visible at the moment. It is actually almost 20 tiles vertically from the lower end of space. I see Regolith and some windows into vacuum and the broken planet. Yet the meteors have not started. That is why I ask.

Hmm, maybe you need to see "deposited" Regolith (with the fracture lines) in contrast to just map-generated Regolith? But even that seems not to do it in some cases. Does anybody know the actual, real trigger?

My experience confirms what @KittenIsAGeek wrote.

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

I have some tiles surface biome visible at the moment

Are you 100% positive it's connected to the space biome and not a pocket?

3 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Go to sandbox and check whether the gravitas structure has started heating up.

It may or may not be exposed to meteors. Usually it is but not for all seeds.

1 hour ago, MinhPham said:

How do you tell if there are some meteors going or not .... space scanner check ?

The space biome pretty much gets activated at some point. Before that time, there is no heat calculations, hence you find heat differences that then vanish with activation. Easiest is Gravitas facility and surrounding Regolith. So you pause, go to sandbox in pause and check the temperature there.  If Gravitas blocks are at -14C, no activation yet. 

The meteor cycle just starts with the activation of the space biome, AFAIK. 

My tests a while ago agree with kitten. It's not the breach toggle. I believe it happens when an exposed to space tile is revealed.

Keep in mind the first meteor season is 4 full cycles of peace, so you must wait 5 cycles for the first meteor.

13 hours ago, MinhPham said:

How do you tell if there are some meteors going or not .... space scanner check ?

Well they are also quite loud, you can hear them if you're close enough. The space biome is very cold (even below -30C) at the start, meteors heat it up. So as @Gurgelsaid, checking the temperatures is a good way to see if meteors are falling at the top.

Sometimes I take advantage of that and I avoid activating the space biome before I have 32t of steel handy, then I rush and build the doors at the top as fast as I can. The regolith, granite, mafic rock, is still cold when I demolish it. I move everything inside the base (or anyway somewhere accessible to the dups). Then I build a full regolith removal setup, and collect all hot regolith (and metal ore, and metal) from the meteor where the dups cannot reach it. I never had a base last long enough to run out of the initial regolith. Yes my base is not fully sustainable because by cycle 10000 I'll run out of filtration media but I don't really care and if I did, I could build something to cool down the hot regolith I've collected in 9500 cycles...

Ok, things are more complex than I thought: The Gravitas tiles only start to heat up once you reveal them. Meteors may be falling before that. Hence they are not a working indicator. Also, you can hear meteors in the fog of war.  

Now here is a bizarre theory: The meteors start when you reveal a tile with a shove vole. Any takers?

On 8/20/2020 at 2:00 PM, Gurgel said:

Does anybody know when exactly the meteorites start dropping? The "surface breach" alert does not seem to be it.

I know one way to check fast: Go to sandbox and check whether the gravitas structure has started heating up. It spawns at something like -14C, but at least the top is in hot Regolith and heats up immediately when the surface goes active.

When you start new game, there is exactly 4 cycles of peace (no meteor falling, in code it has "Default" name). after this peace period "MeteorShowerIron" period start. Because there is some random element I can not tell exactly when meteor start falling. But it is between 5.5 - 6.5  cycle. It does not matter if you breach surface or no. It is Only about time and you can not do anything about it.

1 hour ago, Mantak said:

When you start new game, there is exactly 4 cycles of peace (no meteor falling, in code it has "Default" name). after this peace period "MeteorShowerIron" period start. Because there is some random element I can not tell exactly when meteor start falling. But it is between 5.5 - 6.5  cycle. It does not matter if you breach surface or no. It is Only about time and you can not do anything about it.

That would make sense. So thermal transfer when making something visible, but no actual meteor triggers as they basically run all the time.

Archived