Sleeping mechanic rework

Here's what I've come up with.

Our survivors have a new 4th meter, that's represented by an open eye. As it depletes the eye gets more blood-shot and closed down. Characters say things to warn about the meter being low.

When it reaches 0 the character would fall asleep. The meter would then quickly (about 20 seconds) refill back to 50%. Character would receive that slowed-down debuff.

So unless you want to constantly collapse from exhaustion, you'd let your character sleep once every 7 days. 

And ofc Wickerbottom. Her downside would finally feel like a downside. To not make her mains' lives hell though, there'd be a new lesser pan flute made with electric milk that puts the user to sleep. This item would act as a way to control her sleep meter b4 important event like a solo boss fight, not as a tool to use often.

that sounds like it would not only be torturous to newbies who already have an issue with time and meter management but also make long trips awa from base much more of a hassle since you would have to play around not being away from safety when it is time to sleep

I feel it's a really bad idea to add a new central and base mechanic like this. It's a cool idea but to add it now instead of say the long ago beta/alpha of DS would not be a welcome addition to many people (including myself)

It's a cool idea though, I like it. I'd definetly try out a mod that adds such a mechanic to spice up a game or two.

I'm not really a fan of forced mechanics, mainly because it gets tedious and can quickly take the fun out of accomplishing things. Although I do believe sleeping as a whole should be given some love, I would hate to find myself ill-equipped to fight things like hound waves and seasonal bosses simply because, out of chance alone, I am soon due for a rest. This doesn't seem far different than the concept of: "If you haven't lit a campfire once every 10 days then you yourself will be lit on fire randomly".

Idk guys I think you're overexagerating a bit. It would be as 'torturous' for the newbies as sanity is when they 1st start playing. In fact this mechanic would basically teach them that sleeping is one way to restore sanity.

And your trips would be bad only if you forgot to bring a sleeping bag with you, same as if you didn't take any food. As I said the meter would last long enough to allow you to solo bosses even as Wes.

I like the idea, but find it kind of too much to have another meter. Maybe after x days of not sleeping, your max sanity starts dropping. After sleeping your max sanity values can be restored (like booster shot with health) But idk... its just something i came up with. I currently find sleeping mechanic pretty niche but im ok with that.

Archived