How to farm pufts?

Divide room in two parts by water lock. It will be one stable, but pufts don't like liquids, and you can keep prince in it's own part.

Make small place to produce new princes below.

Use autoloader and detect meat on conveyor.

Meat on conveyor means prince just died and you need new one, open door to room with new prince and wait it to move in. Or force him to move in by liquid

On 6/18/2020 at 4:50 AM, Prince Mandor said:

Bleachstone for bathing all my dupes non-stop in fully automated base... :)

might I suggest 2 ranches then?  One with squeaky pufts for bleach stone, and one with princes for squeaky eggs

9 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

might I suggest 2 ranches then?  One with squeaky pufts for bleach stone, and one with princes for squeaky eggs

I was joking, but your suggestion is interesting.

There is one obvious problem. If I keep too many princes, I spend gas inefficiently. Princes eat same amount, but don't produce much. If I keep too little princes, then population in main stable decrease

1 minute ago, Prince Mandor said:

There is one obvious problem. If I keep too many princes, I spend gas inefficiently. Princes eat same amount, but don't produce much. If I keep too little princes, then population in main stable decrease

Another problem is the chlorine vents themselves

Most produce an average of 100 g/s chlorine which can only support 2 pufts

39 minutes ago, Prince Mandor said:

One prince is all you need.  The regular pufts will almost certainly lay one regular puft egg to replace themselves and several dense or squeaky eggs.  If you can also avoid grooming the prince and keep them in oxygen instead of pO2 then they won't waste very much oxygen.

1 minute ago, psusi said:

One prince is all you need.  The regular pufts will almost certainly lay one regular puft egg to replace themselves and several dense or squeaky eggs.  If you can also avoid grooming the prince and keep them in oxygen instead of pO2 then they won't waste very much oxygen.

I was talking about Neotuck's idea of separate stables for princes and pufts, so all princes makes pufts eggs and all pufts make prince eggs. My words was about this scenario

3 hours ago, Neotuck said:

To brings back my original point

Are pufts really worth ranching?

Probably not.  They aren't terrible, but aren't great either.  They are the only way to create slime if you want to sustainably grow mushrooms, but pacu and shove voles for making surf and turf is probably a better food source.  You don't need oxylite for rocketry for very long before you switch to LO2 so you may as well just use the oxylite refinery temporarily for that.  In my last world I went the dense puft route and it just felt like a lot of wasted time getting that all going when I switched to LO2 not long after.  Maybe if you are really short on algae and haven't built up a good pile of pacu yet, it may be a decent way to solve that problem.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:17 AM, Neotuck said:

No, they doesn't.

Only two meaningful scenarios :

-- no more bleachstone, no chlorine planet, but you have chlorine vent and want to use bathtub

-- no more slime and no more algae and you want to restore pacu population

All other uses is fun-projects

On 6/19/2020 at 4:17 PM, Neotuck said:

My guess would be bleachstone for waterweeds and slime for mushrooms into lettuce wraps.

It's hard to justify any sort of food production when the overwhelming power of shove vole ranching exists. It's quite silly starving critters generate meat and regulates any kind of farming and "ethical" ranching to the fun-only zone.

An ideal ONI balance patch would be removing starvation ranching, tightening the comfortable temps of dupes and some critters, and nerfing the steam turbi-tuner.

It works in cycles, i have 1 prince and pufts, when prince dies only princes are made till all pufts are dead, then one prince is added again and he makes more pufts, it's a very uneven process but it kinda works. My princes only produce puft eggs for some reason so I have to have pufts for squeaky ones.

16 hours ago, cpy said:

It works in cycles, i have 1 prince and pufts, when prince dies only princes are made till all pufts are dead, then one prince is added again and he makes more pufts, it's a very uneven process but it kinda works. My princes only produce puft eggs for some reason so I have to have pufts for squeaky ones.

You only have to have pufts to get squeaky or dense initially.  Once you have them, they can reproduce themselves.  Even if you don't pen them with a prince, they still will lay one egg of their own kind before they die.  The odds start out good when they are young and go down over time, so you normally get one in the first egg or two they lay.

Archived