changes in fire pit fuel consumption?

Did anyone notice changes in the fire pit fuel consumption as of late?

I can't quite nail it down, but it seems I have to burn a lot more charcoal than usual to keep my fire going through the night in an adequate intensity. It's 2.5 am here now, so I will not go into more research on that matter right now, but maybe some other people have input on that matter too?

I would definitely trade campfire efficiency for an increased light radius. For those of us who stay up at night I'm sure it's annoying to be confined to a small area, at least that's how it is for me... with my chests just outside the light radius and requiring me to burn more flammables in order to reach them.

• Developer

I'm glad to see that I didn't do a bunch of math for nothing! :)

The new lighting shader is a bit slower than the old one(s), but it gives me more control when trying to specify light radii. The weird banding that you see currently is a side effect of the way that some of our colour re-mapping is being done. It should be reduced in a future build once an artist gets the chance to go in there and fix it up.

after I played a bit more with the new fuel ratio, I must say that I really like it, and it absolutely changed my way of playing.

before that, I usually used the night to gather the stuff I planted around my campfire, berries, weed, saplings and farming lots, cook some food and wait for the next day. Now, I still do that stuff, BUT I also come to use the sleeping roll, actually for the first time ever, since sometimes, I feel that I need to safe on the few fuel resources I have left, because I was too busy to get more charcoal the day before. So this change not only made me use an item I completely abandoned before, but I also plan my daylight time a lot more now, changing the buildup of my basecamp aswell, grow more weed for the enhanced need because of sleeping rolls, and I started to use them instead of fire when I go out exploring, so even that has changed completely in the way I play now.

besides that, not that I want to give anyone ideas... but how come that the dark does not kill us when we are snug up in a sleeping rool without a fire during the night? seems a bit odd... unless there is a crazy plot behind it all that we just don't know off as of yet.