Klei doesn't like to 'just add things'

Hello, new thread.

This is something that I've noticed after the May QoL update. Klei doesn't like to make non-themed updates.

When it comes to updates dst either receives a themed update or a bug fix. There's no generic updates. In the May QoL update it was even said that that upade consisted of things the community has wanted for a long time but devs didn't have time to add. For example missing bosses' statues. Those could've been added in any update but the devs waited specifically for a QoL update. A thing won't be added into the game unless an update fits its theme. As I said- there's no generic updates like: 'Changed some numbers, added a new item, changed character's portrait, damage of x weapon reduced'

Idk, I guess this is both good an kinda bad. Good since major updates aren't all over the place and are instead focused on one specific area of the game. Kinda bad since the community shouldn't really expect anything new from the thing that's already in the game like a character, mob or an item. For example Winona could receive an item to make her less of a 'pick and switch'-character. Buuut since she's already been reworked she won't get anything new unless there's going to be an entire update dedicated to her

Discuss... I guess

It would be nice to see some more of these QoL updates for DST, because to me, they really add a lot. I absolutely adore the new character select information to death, and the compendium is cute as heck.

I think after all the characters have been refreshed, Klei will have more time to work on community suggestions/feedback/balancing/etc.

From a Console players perspective- I would just like to see more things that PC players have access to via mods officially becoming part of the game. Is that too much to ask for?

Take the very same May QoL update your discussing as an example- For YEARS Now there’s been a mod on PC that let you guys have truly random weather seasons with truly random weather season lengths.. This is Something Consoles did not have until Mays QoL update.

Perhaps, when the reworks are all done, Klai might do a sweeping "balance" update.

Maybe balance isnt the right word as we all know that is not a primary goal, which is cool. But small tweaks to all characters which fix some of the problems with them, such as their pick'n'switch nature or otherwise

It maybe depends on how long they see surviving this game. The question is: What are their plans ? 

I guess we could have a kind of roadmap, not for 2020 or 2021, but a further one, at the end of the RoT. Or maybe the end of RoT will give us a new question, then a new theory.

It doesn't answer about non themed updates, which I could approve to see more of them. But waiting for the end of RoT could really be the good moment to ask this.

OR, the success of the last QoL update could change their view about it, who knows ?

14 hours ago, Moonatik said:

It maybe depends on how long they see surviving this game

I suppouse you're right. Didn't consider that the devs may leave dst after RoT.

But even then it should be of high priority for them to leave the game the best it could be. Not like Hamlet

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

But even then it should be of high priority for them to leave the game the best it could be. Not like Hamlet

Oh! Let's look at the bright side... They surely won't leave after R.O.T. there are still many unanswered questions that remain, (about the game's lore) There are still many character refreshes to be done, and the game's main story-line hasn't come to an end either... Let's  hope that Klei will do the right thing.

(Plus DST is a "popular" game, it usually gets about 15k, or 20k players per day! According to the Steam charts https://steamcharts.com/app/322330)

In my opinion I'm just grateful that they listen to us at all; most other companies wouldn't give two s**** about their community, let alone listen. Klei is making content for DST the same way they always have, and it doesn't seem to indicate that DST is dying anytime soon. Now this isn't directed at any one individual but I would like to point out that there seems to be a lot of high expectations for Klei comparative to the amount of disdain for what they do. For example, people could say "DST barely has any challenging fights, and most of the raid bosses can be cheesed easily" but then once a challenging optional boss/mechanic is introduced they wouldn't be satisfied because it doesn't change the core experience. In a sense, I feel that (in my own opinion) people would rather say that DST is "dying" than admit that they want to leave the game for how its become but at the same time want to stay because of hope that things will change to make them want to play again.

49 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Oh! Let's look at the bright side... They surely won't leave after R.O.T. there are still many unanswered questions that remain, (about the game's lore) There are still many character refreshes to be done, and the game's main story-line hasn't come to an end either... Let's  hope that Klei will do the right thing.

(Plus DST is a "popular" game, it usually gets about 15k, or 20k players per day! According to the Steam charts https://steamcharts.com/app/322330)

You guys don’t see it now.. but DST has the POTENTIAL to be just as Successful as Minecraft and GTA Online.

What I mean by that is provided Klei doesn’t abandon it and move on to their next game franchise Sequel or whatever... Then DST can continue to be Updated, expanded upon, enhanced, upgraded into new horizons, and can (again Potentially) Become one of those games LIKE GTA Online or LIKE MINECRAFT- Aka.... games that don’t NEED Sequels... because instead of making sequels they just expand upon what’s already there.

Minecrafts what? 10 years old game?? Gta Online? 8 years I think.. 

Klei has their golden cash cow right here with DST, with new skins, new core gameplay content & events and most importantly of all making the game enjoyable both for new players and the experienced ones who stick around.

And as long as the game is making them profit then hopefully they Can keep updating it, they’ve already hinted at HUGE Stuffs like Cross-Platform play, Elevated plots of land, playable Charlie.. I mean there is a LOT that they CAN do with DST... 

But the Question remains how much are they WILLING to do with it? I hope to see this game released in 2017 for Xbox and has most regrettably remained roughly Un-Updated until this awesome breath of fresh life into the game with New content, Character Reworks and the DLC Characters they started in 2019 & are continuing into 2020.. I hope to see it last a 8yr long run like GTA Online or Minecraft..

We will just have to wait and see how things go in the future.. but in the meantime I love how each of the characters that have been updated and refreshed So far stand So much more further apart from one another while being completely enjoyable & unique in their own ways. <3 :) 

1 hour ago, Charlie Dark said:

I agree with your opinion.dst is such a successful game,and there are very good numbers of players on different gaming platforms,and dst has a very good performance in the last year, this game has a lot of developability,at the same time, as far as the current situation is concerned, dst is still klei's ace card,no company will give up  ace card, just like rockstar will not give up the gta series,as a big fan of dst, I hope that after the end of rot, there will be new series or updates, and I will always support them no matter what.

6 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I wasn't thinking they could leave the game after RoT, when I thought about this possibility. No, not now, not after RoT. Not after giving us a playable sea with such possibilities. I had at least years in mind. I mean it could be a real question, and I hope the answer is: Very very far away.

The end of RoT could only give them more time, more freedom, to focus on many little things that we want, hope, need. "Items refresh !"

I don't know because the question remains, did they already plan the next big chapter and how long they'll wait between them.

Could they for example decide to add a 3rd server ? Is it done and it's a big NO. Or is it possible without spending a lot ? Will it be one day because it could be cheaper than yesterday ? That could expand the game like we couldn't expect. Could they add "ruins" as Hamlet, on surface, without another server ? Is there any tricks to expand the playable ground ?

Because, to be honest, the moon island will be the bigger one. When I look to my entire map, there's no many room for big islands everywhere. Unless they increase the map, but is it possible too ?

I have so many questions. But I don't want to see the end for now.

To give you personnal thoughts, I have 3 games in mind right now. Cyberpunk 2077, Elden Ring, and DST. See on which level I put this "little" game. 

An example: The Bush Hat. 

The Bush Hat should be changed so that it looks like an ordinary bush, so that other players can't tell it apart. It serves no function currently. Back in the PVP times of DST, the Bush Hat could have been a really useful item to hide away from other players. 

But Klei will never change it. Because it's just a small thing that doesn't fit into the any of these new themes.

And there's thousands of small things like that in the core game that need to be adjusted. 

6 hours ago, Squirrel12 said:

And there's thousands of small things like that in the core game that need to be adjusted.

Yes, that was my point. 

Once something is added into the game there's about a week for community to give feedback and Klei changes something. After that it's basically just 'finished'- no more changes, moving on to the next update.

Archived