Help with playing solo

Hi,

So I recently bought the game for PS4 and have enjoyed it all again, so far I have only had trouble with Dont Starve Together, the wiki says mobs like for example a clockwork bishop have more health in DST than in DS along with important mobs like giants, it will be so much harder to kill deerclops and other giants that will generate in the future (of my world) that I am not even sure if I want to keep playing because eventually I will hit a wall for not playing together, I have found Dont Starve Together to be way more difficult for one player (I know, its meant to be played together), but I dont have friends that play Dont Starve, that said, I wouldnt like to join a random world because in PS4 its harder to communicate with players (only easy way is through a microphone).

Reading in internet I see people use a mod for PC version that scales life of all npcs according to the number of players, I know we cant install mods in PS4 so I come here to ask. Is there a way to implement an "easier" mode in DST? (like for example world presets, although most of them were unchangeable upon world creation).

Also I wonder if there is a way to get a real pause in the game since I am playing alone, I dont know if playing offline could fix that but then I wouldnt get drops when playing right nor trophies for that matter (PS4 trophies)?

If there is not, is it possible that Klei would ever add a way for solo players to have a better gameplay experience or should I just resign and go play DS until I can actually play with someone else?

PD: I like DS but I am more into DST since it gets frequent updates and feels like it has better QoL improvements compared to DS.

The game is completely playable solo.. you just have to learn new ways of handling things.

Here are a few things you CAN do though- Turn off the Giants, Deerclops, Bearger, Moose Goose, Firefly, Antlion they can all be turned off.

For Antlion and Firefly they stay in their own little biome area and never bother you if you don’t bother them. 

No there is no easier mode, no content does not scale based on the amount of players in your world, no there is no pause button, and no you can not earn skin drops while playing offline.

But You are correct that DST gets more updates then DS solo, DS Solo came out in 2013.. DST came out in 2017.. so that’s a pretty obvious reason- But also.. it would be hard for me to go back to playing DS Solo without skins or the new found abilities the characters have been getting with their Reworks.

I hope this information helps you, Good Luck! :) 

You have to spend hours on hours on YouTube Or the dst wiki, looking up everything about the game. Take notes. It’s honestly a grind learning absolutely everything. But if you put the time in, the game gets way more enjoyable. Pc players have a way bigger advantage because of the mods/ cheats which makes it way easier/faster for them to learn the game. To be honest though play as maxwell. He’s the closest you’ll get to “easy” mode due to his sanity in my opinion. I would just avoid fighting mobs/ bosses until you figure out the game more. 

This game is one that requires a bit of dedication. I have been playing DST solo for years now and I can say everything is absolutely doable. DO watch videos, read the wiki, experiment with things yourself and remember that preparation is the key to surviving any major encounters. I have watched a ton of the speedruns people do on youtube and find these to be a HUGE help in learning how these amazing players tackle the tougher scenarios in the game. Don't loose heart, the gameplay is incredibly rewarding once you learn how to start crushing your enemies and thriving instead of simply surviving. 

Yes the game is totally playable solo, in fact i think the majority plays more time solo. I would not suggest turning of bosses, as except Deerclops they can all easily be avoided if you don't wish to fight them, they do not come after you like in DS; their loot is extremely helpfull and eventually you will have enough experience to want to fight them. All the bosses are fightable solo in the intented way, some very difficult indeed, however there are plenty of strategies and tactics to defeat them, you could cal them cheesy, if that is what you want.

You can not change the health/difficulty of bosses, as in kill them easier, just the number of them. Maybe putting hounds/deathworms to less would make things easier, that if hounds are an annoyance to you, you can always go in the caves to avoid the wave and viceversa :). 

Speaking of playing solo...
I'm just curious,

How many folks prefer solo over playing with friends?

Personally I like to play with my group, as discovering something or watching something funny happen seems way more rewarding when there are others there to see it too :) Sometimes we'll be laughing for hours at the insanity that ensues on the screen XD

On the flip side, I can see how playing solo could be much more challenging for those who prefer the survival bit more. I do play solo but vary rarely. I get lonely after awhile lol...

Just wondering others thoughts.

3 hours ago, PSV_USA said:

Speaking of playing solo...
I'm just curious,

How many folks prefer solo over playing with friends?

Personally I like to play with my group, as discovering something or watching something funny happen seems way more rewarding when there are others there to see it too :) Sometimes we'll be laughing for hours at the insanity that ensues on the screen XD

On the flip side, I can see how playing solo could be much more challenging for those who prefer the survival bit more. I do play solo but vary rarely. I get lonely after awhile lol...

Just wondering others thoughts.

I do not Ever play this game on the default server settings, when I’m playing alone I toggle everything that I can to make my game more challenging (example: Random weather Seasons, Random Weather Lengths, More Hound Wave Attacks.. etc)

HOWEVER- When I’m playing online with my less skilled friends, I have to adjust everything (and I do mean everything..) to be significantly easier.., They die too often to darkness? increase day length & shorten night! They Die too often to hound wave attacks? Decrease or disable them. 
The only Weather Season they can play and not continuously die within is Autumn? Turn off Summer, Winter & Spring. Do they play as Woodie and spawn tons of Treeguards while on their wood chopping sprees? I got to turn Treeguardians off too.

Some of you will make some snarky comment that maybe I should get new friends or maybe my friends shouldn’t play.. but the truth is that should NEVER be the answer.

I sincerely hope that Klei took my suggestion for Isles of the Constant to heart.. because- I can leave everything as simple as it can possibly be for my less skilled friends back on the starting area of the game, meanwhile I am in the same world With my less skilled friend, but I am on a harder Island location across the ocean somewhere intended for more advanced players.

I can still meet back up with and share my rewards with my less skilled buddy... but what Isles of the Constants MAIN intent was- Was to break the game itself up into a series of Islands.. each island with its own degree of difficulty, biome types & mob threats applied to it.

Casual players can co-exist in the same world with more experienced players.... it is entirely possible.

The TL:DR I shouldn’t have to choose between playing alone with harder settings applied to feel challenged, or playing with friends with significantly easier settings applied & feeling completely unchallenged.

Archived