Natural Disasters

think to increase the game difficulty maybe they should add natural disasters like whirlwinds and floods in spring and avalanches [if elevation is added to the game]also snow storms and maybe a movement speed decrease when walking through thick snow as well as  items being buried under the snow.Also they should add hurricanes and acid rain and fit it in a season somewhere.

I also think they should add like smooth waves and not ones that will damage your raft/boat despite it being so wide it would be hard to dodge.

Please tell me your opinion on this post.I hope you enjoy it.

Nerf and difficulty increase, most of the time it's only that people asking for. I don't even think it's givin ideas to Klei.

We need contents first, before nerf and difficulty increase (even if some people are sometimes right about that). Contents that create some adventures, which give us new exploration. I'd like to see some weather improvements, but I think you don't realise that all your ideas, being in the game, would be a nightmare.

Thats it, you're asking for a nightmare storm, and all your stuff is gone ! Rot by acid rain, vanished by hurricanes, left with nothing, your feet stuck in the snow while the hounds eat you. Game over !

Just now, Moonatik said:

Nerf and difficulty increase, most of the time it's only that people asking for. I don't even think it's givin ideas to Klei.

We need contents first, before nerf and difficulty increase (even if some people are sometimes right about that). Contents that create some adventures, which give us new exploration. I'd like to see some weather improvements, but I think you don't realise that all your ideas, being in the game, would be a nightmare.

Thats it, you're asking for a nightmare storm, and all your stuff is gone ! Rot by acid rain, vanished by hurricanes, left with nothing, your feet stuck in the snow while the hounds eat you. Game over !

It is why i could be thinking it could be after a specific date like day 30 to check that you know the game

11 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

Why not just play the uncompromising mode mod if you want things like snowstorms.

Because mods don’t exist on consoles?

I will tell you what DOES Exist on consoles though.. Settings that let you toggle more or less of certain things, on or off.. etc.

Mods are not and should not ever be considered as the answer to everything.

These ideas may not fit default DST settings, but they go hand in hand with a harder difficulty setting.

Come on Klei I need that QoL content update! ;) (Yes I’m only saying this because of a recent dev reply I saw lol.)

I would like more variation on meteorological conditions. Hail, sunny hot rain, fog, sea fog, ground patches of hoar-frost (perhaps making character glide a bit when walking over), blizzards - would make world feel richer, livelier. Could introduce more strain-mechanics on character. And for a Survival game, natural disasters happening over in-game years sounds pretty fluid and interesting. Yes, I know that would impact bases/mega-bases. Still, beside Sandbox optional content as RoT seems to be (until now), and as an "over-time" aspect, I believe some new survivability challenges are also required this far into DST's life. This new feature - natural disasters - could come with new loot as well. Mobs linked with new atmospheric/seasonal conditions, new perils, new bons. Look at it as an opportunity and not just hindrance.

winter, spring, and summer can already kill you day 1 or 2 if you're new, I only see this killing them slightly faster

this isn't going to make the game harder for anyone else for 2 reasons, first, we already know we need to make hats to deal with weather, and second, we are so accustomed to storing food, fire making resources, and a long list of other resources, that we can just treat the blizzard as an excuse laze around the fire pit until it's over, sleep off flooding in a tent. 

environmental challenges aren't interactive like a hound or tree guard, you can't outrun or injure a whirlwind. you either proactively prepare for them or  just watch your health drain with no way to stop it. if you want to make the game more difficult with weather, you're better thinking of interesting or difficult ways to prepare first, then thinking of some punishment.

41 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

winter, spring, and summer can already kill you day 1 or 2 if you're new, I only see this killing them slightly faster

this isn't going to make the game harder for anyone else for 2 reasons, first, we already know we need to make hats to deal with weather, and second, we are so accustomed to storing food, fire making resources, and a long list of other resources, that we can just treat the blizzard as an excuse laze around the fire pit until it's over, sleep off flooding in a tent. 

environmental challenges aren't interactive like a hound or tree guard, you can't outrun or injure a whirlwind. you either proactively prepare for them or  just watch your health drain with no way to stop it. if you want to make the game more difficult with weather, you're better thinking of interesting or difficult ways to prepare first, then thinking of some punishment.

I tend to heavily disagree with this, in a game that’s advertised as Wilderness Survival there should be a lot more Wilderness Survival Going on..
(Don’t read spoiler if you don’t want to hear about games unrelated to DST)

Spoiler

Ive played more games then I care to recall but one of the more recent ones “The Long Dark” I think it’s called is a true wilderness survival simulator.

you get hungry, you get cold, weather effects the environment and you have to find ways to deal- for example in that game I was thrown in the middle of a blizzard, I had no food, nothing to create anything with.. my vision became impaired in the snow storm, the weight of the snow started to slow my movement down, a pact of 5 hungry wolves saw me, I ran for a nearby run down building only managing to find a few broken wet match sticks, the wolves still sniffing for me locate me I then continue to run and lock myself into an abandoned car on the side of a road- I’m still freezing to death during all this with hounds outside mind you...

Hypothermia sets in.. I get cold in my legs and can’t use them effectively I search the vehicle for whatever I can find and locate a few old news papers, out of 7 wet matches, only 2 light- but I’m able to burn the newspapers to stay warm enough for morning to come, I sleep through the night in the car & as soon as I get out the wolves are still out there waiting.. and I can no longer run.

Bad decisions on my behalf but the TL:DR

I Died.

NOW lets take that and apply DS logic to it- 

Blizzards can impair vision, Thick snow can slow down movement speed, Floods can wash away structures, strong WIND can blow Out Torches and Campfires..

There is really A LOT Klei can do to amp up the Wilderness Survival aspects of DST.. But, That content should be entirely optional- Some people have a hard enough time staying alive as is...

I would NOT Agree with this type of idea if it was forced upon everyone. Reserve it for a harder difficulty setting for the Veterans seeking more challenge, or the people like me who originate from survival simulators.

Archived