Boats need to be reworked??Boats/ships/rafts?

First of all.Boats are way to big ,clumsy and slow.The steering wheel has little control over the boat and even the mast is not good enough to move the boat along.

I feel like klei should add in new boats smaller and faster ones,even diferent types of ships that have different platforms and can be moved about on.Rafts could also be added but could only be used for a limited time so that ships and boats would have diferent uses.I feel like there should also be a life jacket to avoid drowning like in shipwrecked but we will just have to see how the upcoming updates work out.(she sells seashells).

Please let klei see this!!

Wijdt ship. Anonymous technical drawing. View from above of a ...

The ship above transparent vector art blue phone.

Like these 2 images but theres more things to do to control how these ships work.

21 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Sailing its perfect in my opinion, gives you the feel of a real sailing. Not just the WASD controls of SW

What i whould love its more kind of boats with differents materials and sizes and shapes

YES thats what i want to!

I kinda just want boats that are shaped like boats.. is that too much to ask for? Shipwrecked has them... I like the new Boating Mechanics of DST with all the Boat kit attachments like Wheel, Mast, Anchor Etc... But I would prefer them to still have the new mechanics, but to actually LOOK more like Shipwrecked Boats.

(Except they would obviously be bigger than single person SW ships.. and would carry 2-3 persons.)

I'd be perfectly fine with new boat sizes with their own perks and disadvantages!

Current Boat: Jack of all trades, decent room for customization, not the fastest, medium HP.

Row Boat/Thin Canoe: Very fast row speeds, easy to turn, very little room for structures and not much HP.

Cargo Ship: Built in a similar fashion to Wurt's Merm King Tapestry or the Celestial Portal, requiring tons of materials to be donated (Sail kit, Steering kit, anchor kit, a couple hammers, and lots of boards?), slowest of all the boats, but the tankiest and has much more room for all sorts of structures.

11 hours ago, JustMikey said:

First of all.Boats are way to big ,clumsy and slow.The steering wheel has little control over the boat and even the mast is not good enough to move the boat along.

I feel like klei should add in new boats smaller and faster ones,even diferent types of ships that have different platforms and can be moved about on.Rafts could also be added but could only be used for a limited time so that ships and boats would have diferent uses.I feel like there should also be a life jacket to avoid drowning like in shipwrecked but we will just have to see how the upcoming updates work out.(she sells seashells).

Please let klei see this!!

Wijdt ship. Anonymous technical drawing. View from above of a ...

The ship above transparent vector art blue phone.

Like these 2 images but theres more things to do to control how these ships work.

First off, the boats in DST are shaped like a dodecagon and that's probably not an accident. I'm not an expert by any means (if someone else is, please feel free to chip in), but I'm pretty sure the shape and size of the boat you're describing wouldn't work in Don't Starve's engine.

It wouldn't be able to turn the way you're imagining it, because it has structures on it and because of its size, the game isn't really programmed that way. The boats in Shipwrecked can be designed that way I think because they are so small, so they are able to whip around in different directions (just like the player's movements). However, you can't do that with large boats. If a boat just whipped around 180°, it would look insane and broken. That's why it's a dodecagon, it's designed that way so that the boat has no front and can spin 150°. Actually, it doesn't spin at all, the boat never turns, the mast does and the mast can do that because it's small. The boat is always facing the same direction.  

Someone technical can probably explain this better. One more thing though to note is that Klei isn't stupid, Klei knows what a boat looks like. You showing them boats designs is silly. They obviously did their homework and figured out that a boat shaped like that woudn't work on their engine and that's why they designed it the way they did. 

11 hours ago, JustMikey said:

Regarding some other points. 

No, Klei shouldn't add rafts. Something I've noticed, is that a problem with Woody right now, is that the Goose is OP. In public servers, nobody bothers going to the Lunar island, because Woody just travels there in less than 2 mins and picks everything from it and brings back to mainland, and he can do all of this in less than a day. Aside from the Lunar islands, there's not much else to do in the ocean (yet), so why bother making a boat at all then if Woody can just raid it in less than a day. 

If Klei added rafts, this would just add to the problem. I know you don't like it, but boats in DST are designed for a multiplayer experience. It requires a lot of resources to build a functioning boat and prepare for proper expeditions, because it's supposed to be a communal effort. 

As for the Life Jacket. I haven't played Shipwrecked in a while. When you fall into the water in DST, you just spawn in the mainland with high wetness. Didn't the life jacket do the same? The life jacket stopped you from drowning. You can't drown in DST.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I kinda just want boats that are shaped like boats.. is that too much to ask for? Shipwrecked has them... I like the new Boating Mechanics of DST with all the Boat kit attachments like Wheel, Mast, Anchor Etc... But I would prefer them to still have the new mechanics, but to actually LOOK more like Shipwrecked Boats.

(Except they would obviously be bigger than single person SW ships.. and would carry 2-3 persons.)

See above comments. 

I get why some people might be disapointed with the boat design we have now, but I think its built within the limitations of DST and aimed at a multiplayer experience.  I really like the boat design myself - rather than a good asthetic what they've done is giving you things to do and choices to make while sailing.  You get to raise and lower the masts, anchor, and steer all as separate actions.  They also let you build structures which means you could manage a campfire or other lightsource as well, or choose other structures you believe you might need on the boat.  It also gives us the ability to have boat bases, which are becoming one of my favorite base types.

I LOVE sailing, I might not like the fact that there's nothing to do in the ocean and you basically just build boat bridges, but manually steering, lowering the anchor and then raising it and lowering it to get bursts of speed and to break, managing your sails, and dealing with the delay of steering are all so much fun to me.

Would have loved to see that kind of sailing in Shipwrecked.

17 hours ago, Squirrel12 said:

First off, the boats in DST are shaped like a dodecagon and that's probably not an accident. I'm not an expert by any means (if someone else is, please feel free to chip in), but I'm pretty sure the shape and size of the boat you're describing wouldn't work in Don't Starve's engine.

It wouldn't be able to turn the way you're imagining it, because it has structures on it and because of its size, the game isn't really programmed that way. The boats in Shipwrecked can be designed that way I think because they are so small, so they are able to whip around in different directions (just like the player's movements). However, you can't do that with large boats. If a boat just whipped around 180°, it would look insane and broken. That's why it's a dodecagon, it's designed that way so that the boat has no front and can spin 150°. Actually, it doesn't spin at all, the boat never turns, the mast does and the mast can do that because it's small. The boat is always facing the same direction.  

Someone technical can probably explain this better. One more thing though to note is that Klei isn't stupid, Klei knows what a boat looks like. You showing them boats designs is silly. They obviously did their homework and figured out that a boat shaped like that woudn't work on their engine and that's why they designed it the way they did. 

Regarding some other points. 

No, Klei shouldn't add rafts. Something I've noticed, is that a problem with Woody right now, is that the Goose is OP. In public servers, nobody bothers going to the Lunar island, because Woody just travels there in less than 2 mins and picks everything from it and brings back to mainland, and he can do all of this in less than a day. Aside from the Lunar islands, there's not much else to do in the ocean (yet), so why bother making a boat at all then if Woody can just raid it in less than a day. 

If Klei added rafts, this would just add to the problem. I know you don't like it, but boats in DST are designed for a multiplayer experience. It requires a lot of resources to build a functioning boat and prepare for proper expeditions, because it's supposed to be a communal effort. 

As for the Life Jacket. I haven't played Shipwrecked in a while. When you fall into the water in DST, you just spawn in the mainland with high wetness. Didn't the life jacket do the same? The life jacket stopped you from drowning. You can't drown in DST.

I know what you mean.But the first picture with the boat could have the chance of being a potential ship/boat for dont strave together All the normal structures would be placed on it and would be able to move like the curent dodecagon moves.Slow but efficient..

As this current 'boat' does not please the eye.But it could be changed due to ongoing updates.

Also as this a multiplayer game,more than one player should be needed to move this boat to specific locations as this is dont starve together.So the boat wouldnt move like a one player boat but as a ship for multiplayer people to travel on.

Archived