Tips on Fishing

Was wondering if someone could give me some fishing tips? As I'm still getting hang of it.

A lot of the tutorials online and even the wikipedia, seem to not be so clear on the subject. My main question is, when the rod in the middle height (so the rod is not low, prompting to you click faster, and it's not high, prompting you to stop clicking), do you or do you not click to reel in?

It's weird to me. When I do nothing, I see the fish come closer to me. Also, when I sometimes don't click, the rod will go up high anyway, so it's almost like it doesn't matter.

If what I'm saying isn't making any sense, let me know and I'll try to rephrase. It's a bit difficult to describe the process in words. 

1 hour ago, Squirrel12 said:

A lot of the tutorials online and even the wikipedia, seem to not be so clear on the subject. My main question is, when the rod in the middle height (so the rod is not low, prompting to you click faster, and it's not high, prompting you to stop clicking), do you or do you not click to reel in?

First of all, if you're playing in a multiplayer game, turn off Lag Compensation in the settings. 
You should focus on the fish's movements, not the fishing rod. When the fish is approaching you - you must reel in (Just spam your RMB like crazy), and if the fish is going in the opposite direction from you - stop reeling in. Fishing rod's animations are mainly there to signalize you when to stop reeling.

3 hours ago, Squirrel12 said:

Was wondering if someone could give me some fishing tips? As I'm still getting hang of it.

It's weird to me. When I do nothing, I see the fish come closer to me. Also, when I sometimes don't click, the rod will go up high anyway, so it's almost like it doesn't matter.

If what I'm saying isn't making any sense, let me know and I'll try to rephrase. It's a bit difficult to describe the process in words. 

If the fishing rod is at "normal height", you need to reel. If the fishing rod is low and your arms are extended out, that means you're not reeling fast enough and risk the fish getting away. If the fishing rod is high, that means you're reeling in too fast at risk of breaking the fishing line and allowing the fish to escape.

You don't need to click spam like crazy (tested with auto clicker with different speed, as long as you make the minimum effort to clicking it will be fine, something like 2 clicks per second, your wrist will thank you later). Watch the fish, if they swim away stop clicking and start clicking whey they swim toward you, the reason to watch the fish and not the rod animation is because the latter is shown delayed plus if you spam click like crazy while only looking at the rod you'll lose the fish.

For harder to catch fish (or any fish really) you want to make them follow your lure until they get near your boat then let them bite. If you play with someone, let one player row towards the fish you're fighting to make fishing brain dead easy.

8 minutes ago, Axelocke said:

Just use a rubber bung as the tackle and a spork as the bait, seems to catch most anything I've seen in terms of ocean fish. :-D

I do believe the only way to get the spork is from the merm king, so it may be difficult to get more if you lose them!
The sporks are just as good as the spoons. But, the spork can be used at any time of day.

Archived