What was the rationale behind making manual switched under my control and not the dupes?

So I directly switch them on and off- but I cant do this with machines, etc... dupes have to get to it.

What was the reasoning behind this? It sorta takes away something of the flavor to me... not a real complaint, just wanted to know what the reasons were behind this change- I'm sure it got discussed.

oh, i found it:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/105420-switches-shouldnt-require-dupe-interaction/

hm...

This also used to be how it worked a really long time ago, before we even had Automation.  The Power Switch was under player control, not Dupe activation.  Then we got all the Automation goodies, then immediately after that the Automation Switch, Power Switch, and most of the adjustable Valves and Sensors were put under Dupe control.

There really is only the choice to put everything under dupe control or to not do it. In the second case there will always be some way to control at least switches directly. Purists may want the former, but it makes a lot of things awkward without really adding to the gameplay. Hence Klei struck a balance. As temperature sensors and clock sensors (for space) already made for a bit cludgy direct switches, it was only rational to give use plain direct switches.

i always used clock sensors. i don't know why except for the fact they couldn't be screwed up and i could set some machines to turn on for small times if they just have a constant overflow problem. they changed the switch just so the dedicated automation switch wasn't the most useless automation item.

Archived