How to survive automn for begginers

In dst, a lot of dangers are waiting in the shadows to strike new players. Even in the first season, autumn, hunger, hounds and sanity are waiting to find the right moment to kill you. The first paragraph talks about early days, the second about hunger, the third about hounds and the fourth one, sanity. So here are a few tips to help you survive those dangers:

-For the first day, I suggest you get as much grass, twigs, flints and berries as possible. When the night comes, craft a torch and explore the world, following its edge, to be more efficient. Keep doing this until you have explored most of the world. If you see important ressources (that are needed) in the way, try to collect them.

-For hunger, they are a few things you can do. First, try to get yourself a shovel and get around 20-30 plantations of berries. For the poop you will need to get them fertilized, you can either give berries or carrots to pigs or use beefalos. Then, there is also a very rewarding thing: bee boxes. They give tons of food, and by tons, I mean like stacks of honey in just a few days. To get yourself bee boxes, you will need silk in order to craft yourself 3 bug nets. In order to kill spiders safely, you have a few options, but only one is available to all characters and safe for beginners: use traps to capture spiders. Then, get to an area with a lot of bees and capture the yellow ones. Then, hit the nests of red bees if possible (or the yellow ones if they are no nests that are for red bees). Go away from those little monsters and then run into them. After that, you will have enough time to hit the nest a few times. Rince and repeat until the nest is destroyed.

-To deal with hounds, you can follow this dodge and hit pattern: when you see the hound running to you for for the first attack, dodge, then hit him once or twice, depending on your skill level. When they are to many hounds, burn one with a torch so you can fight them 1 by 1. Make sure to do this in an empty space, otherwise fire can spread and destroy your base or a forest.

-For sanity, try to get yourself some green mushrooms: when they are cooked, they give a massive +15 sanity! Make sure to avoid picking up all flowers, because they are the reason there is butterflies. If you kill a butterflies, and eat its wings, you get +8 health. Lastly, a top hat is made of 6 silk: it is a good long term solution, because it negates the lost of sanity from being in the dark.

That's it for this guide! I am also gonna make guides on how to survive winter, spring and summer!

7 hours ago, chenais said:

-For the first day, I suggest you get as much grass, twigs, flints and berries as possible.

For this it depends on if you are playing with people/are on a public server. If you are doing either of these things, don't pick up everything. It is actually extremely rude for you to do that since you are actively depriving other players that might need them more. Even the best players can't do anything or try to survive if everything useful is gone. I would suggest to only take about 20 twigs and grass, 10 flint, and maybe a handful of berries if you know if someone is going to be joining at any time, it just common curtsy. Sure, this guide is obviously meant for a single person, but since most of the player base does multiplayer in this multiplayer game, it would be beneficial to methods based on circumstance. 

-For hunger, they are a few things you can do. First, try to get yourself a shovel and get around 20-30 plantations of berries. For the poop you will need to get them fertilized, you can either give berries or carrots to pigs or use beefalos

Now while this may seem like a good idea, there is a few problems with it. Once winter hits, all that work you put into your farm will be for naught as they will no longer produce and so now you are left with a farm producing nothing as it gets diseased and you are still hungry. While I won't say that there is no value in the strategy, I will say that going this route is actually really difficult as it leaves you with your pants down during winter as you now need to search for food again. 

Then, there is also a very rewarding thing: bee boxes. They give tons of food, and by tons, I mean like stacks of honey in just a few days

This is a gross over exaggeration and is actively misleading. Bee boxes are horrible as a primary resource of food as the player needs to be constantly in the area to get the returns that are in this post, which is just not efficient unless you squat in your base nearby all day for multiple days in a row. Sure, you could be doing something over there and they could get some returns via that, but to be in the same area for multiple days at a time, but you would eventually have to leave base, maybe for multiple days, and then your bees would barely produce anything. Even before that, we have to consider the material cost of making them. It requires 4 bees to make and if you want the biggest bang for your buck, you need around 20 flowers nearby which either restricts your base to very few biomes or requires you to go out of your way to plant flowers your self, both of which require either time or resources or both, more then the 3 bug nets you say to get. Bee Boxes work great as a supplementary ingredient in recipes as dishes like Honey Ham and Honey nuggets are great and quick healing if you don't have much, however without a primary meat farm established, honey's potential quickly nose dives as it's mediocre raw and only really helps Wormwood in poultice form. While it is not bad, it is something I would not recommend to a new player as it simply doesn't help them all that much. I would also like to take mention of your lack of crockpot advice. I assume that mostly new player are going to be reading this guide so why no teach them about the crockpot. It is literally a game changer and would massively help anyone with their survival if told about their existence. 

In order to kill spiders safely, you have a few options, but only one is available to all characters and safe for beginners: use traps to capture spiders.

While yes, killing spiders with a trap is the safest way to kill spiders, it is also creates a false pretense of fear in the player for the most basic mob in the series. This thing shouldn't need a special way to kill that all other mobs don't follow, it should just be hunted like any other mob. By telling them to fight them, it also creates this idea after their killing of "Oh, with a spear and armor I should not fear these creatures" which is good because it makes the player play more into the aggressive nature of the game then the passive one player usually take on. Sure, they may want the ability to safely dispose of the enemy, but the game will force them to fight later so why delay the training wheel removal any longer?

8 hours ago, chenais said:

Lastly, a top hat is made of 6 silk: it is a good long term solution, because it negates the lost of sanity from being in the dark.

It is not a good long term solution simply because it doesn't stop sanity drain at night. It does for one character, Wendy, and that's it. The tophat doesn't prevent sanity loss at night with anyone else if they don't have any other modifiers. I would rather suggest that they use a tam o shanter dropped by Mactusk if they want sanity as it actually bypasses the night drain, and gives decent sanity during the day as well. They should also be looking for cactus to pick, while wearing armor, as it gives the same sanity when cooked but comes in much closer bunches and grow 24/7 compared to Mushroom's only growing when it is raining.

While I don't think this guide is bad, it is also not good either. Hyperbole's are not appreciated when trying to give accurate information so try not to do that, I would also recommend that you play a little bit more before making guides like this, as the things you write about seem to lack the proper experience to make a fully informational guide, though I only derived this from what you wrote about.

@Frashaw27 first of all, I assumed that it goes without saying that if you are on a public server, you leave stuff behind. It is obvious. Also, begginers are generally more sticking around to the base since they are more trying to survive than raid bosses. Also, there is not only night in dst: during the day, you gain back the very few sanity you lost during the night.

@Voidbarker lol begginers don't know this.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:49 PM, chenais said:

@Frashaw27 first of all, I assumed that it goes without saying that if you are on a public server, you leave stuff behind. It is obvious. Also, begginers are generally more sticking around to the base since they are more trying to survive than raid bosses. Also, there is not only night in dst: during the day, you gain back the very few sanity you lost during the night.

@Voidbarker lol begginers don't know this.

You gain sanity during the day? 

1 hour ago, chenais said:

Frashaw27 first of all, I assumed that it goes without saying that if you are on a public server, you leave stuff behind. It is obvious

Yes, it maybe obvious to you since you know better, but you have to assume that the people reading these guides most likely won't know this because they are looking for information about the game without any restraints, and you saying to pick everything in sight will reault in them picking everything in sight and thus won't leave anything for anyone else. A good tip for writing guide is to pretend you are speaking to a potato, because a potato know and understands nothing and you have to explain it to them because the person reading the guide might actually know nothing and require over explaining to fully grasp the concept.

Also, begginers are generally more sticking around to the base since they are more trying to survive than raid bosses

Yes that is true, you want to know what is also true? You have to go out of your way to get specific resources no matter how good you are. No matter where you base, there will always be a resource that you have to go to that can be very far away. You might need to go get reeds, trade with the pig king, do the lunar event, go into the caves for lightbulbs, the game actively forces the player to go out and search for these materials, away from theor base of operations. Just because the player isn't going out to kill bosses doesn't mean that they don't have a reason to be regularly away from the base. No matter how you slice it, a player will always be away from their base eventually for one reason or another and that makes the bees unproductive. When you are away, the bees produce little honey and that what makes them bad as a primary food source, they don't give the results that any other farm type would because it relies on the load zone that is player dependent and forces you to be their 24/7 unlike every other farm type that just relies on timers.  The fact that new pkayers twnd to stay near their base doesn't excuse them from being a bad primary food source.

Also, there is not only night in dst: during the day, you gain back the very few sanity you lost during the night

Top hat regains 3.33 sanity/min, and night time sanity drain is -5.5 sanity/min. If we take a good adverage estimate and say that day is 4 min. and dusk+night is 4 min., and by doing the math it cones out to be around 5 sanity gained, a misley 2.5% of a typical characters max sanity. Now while I will admit that it was a net positive, adverage don't usually constantly happen. Typically, during spirng and winter dusk and night are very long and thus you will inevitably lose more sanity then you gain throughout the night. Now comapre that to the tam o shanter (6.67 saniy per min.), and with the adverage day lengeth, you would get 31.36 sanity from it. That dramatic difference is because of the night time drain. A typical top hat lasts 10 days and thus they would gain a grand total of 40 sanity by wearing for 10 days straight, bately enough to make a player not get attack by terrorbeaks and crawling horrors. The tophat is still not that good as a sanity regenerater, even if there is a bunch of daylight.

2 hours ago, chenais said:

lol begginers don't know this

Like they don't know why not to steal everything in sigjt on a public server?

Archived